It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania's Lochness Monster- Photos Taken Feb. 2006

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I can not remember this being posted here before. Just found this tonight.

Are any of you from this area?

Very interesting Photo with more comming according to the website.

www.raystownray.com...

The first known photograph of Raystown Ray. Photographed by a local fisherman looking over the lake from the Huntingdon Co. Visitor's Bureau Center, close to Seven Points Marina. A series of 25-30 photos were taken and will be published at a later time.

Someone good with photoshop might be able to get us a better view.

Photo curtesy of Cosmic Blue

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
That photo seems to have been reduced in size. See the words in the lower right corner?
I don't know why they would reduce it, except maybe to hide the details?
As small as the critter is, if you blow it up much at all you will lose most of the detail.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I hope "Ray" is real, but this quote from the webpage made me go "uh-oh".

The mission of the bureau is to develop and implement strategic marketing initiatives, which will result in increased visitation to the region.

If we can get some original pics that haven't been reduced in size it would make the whole "analyzing" thing a whole lot easier.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I don't about other pics and their quality but this one doesn't look at all as a monster to me. Looks more like a piece of log with branches. To far anyway. Coz floats on the water doesn't mean is a Pleiosaurus

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Beer_Guy, I noticed that to but surely a goverment agency would not go to that extreme to attract tourists. Strange things do happen though.

I wish we had access to the other photos in original form to examine.

Hoping there is someone here at ATS from that area that can give us more info.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Odd that they want a trademark on the term 'raystown ray'. There seem to only be three pics, the only really intersting one is the one harry here cites, BUT its difficult to say that its anything, other than something in the water.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   
two points :

1 - where are the rest of the photos ??? and while we are on it how many are there 25 to 30 is pretty vague -- can they not count ??

2 - what is the history of " raystone lake " ?? or should I say raystone reservoir ? , I have only made a cursory net search , but raystone dam was built in 1907

see here : dam history

looking at the map of " lake raystone" , it looks to me like there was no lake prior to 1907

[EX]The first Raystown Dam was the brainchild of brothers G.E. and W.B. Simpson of Huntingdon, who believed that a hydroelectric project, financed largely by Central Pennsylvanians, would bring great economic benefits to the area. In 1907 the construction phase of the project got underway, using the most modern mechanical equipment available, along with a large force of Italian immigrant laborers who lived at the site. Work on the project continued until 1912[/EX]

so this begs the question , how the heck did a giant cryptid get into an artificial reservoir built in 1907 ????

here is a map of the area , pretty obvious that the " lake " is a dammed river valley

and here’s the dam - this is the 1972 rebuild , but its still clear that the entire " lake " is entirely man made

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   

how the heck did a giant cryptid get into an artificial reservoir built in 1907 ????

I gotta agree with that statement.
Maybe Ray can walk?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It doesn't look like a log to me.... but it really do look a little too good to be true... and a little too big. Also, there doesn't seem to be any waves coming off the object (or they're too small to see), so wouldn't that mean it's not moving? Just kinda sitting there?

...yeah.... make me a little suspicious.... but it *would* be pretty neat if it were true.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Not too thrilled about this stuff showing up in an enlargement:

But it's probably just be a compression artifact. I doubt anybody would leave something as obvious as that hanging in a full-sized photo.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I have fished Raystown extensivly over the years and have a slight problem with that picture. There is only about 2 feet of water where that so called creature is. That whole section is 2 feet until you get about 150 feet out then it drops off. In 1996 I took 3 big Largemouth Bass from the edge of the drop off, I fish it everytime I'm there. If the water is 2 feet look at what that does for the size of the submerged sections of this thing. I am going there in June and will make sure to take a camera with me.

If you like fossils get near the base of the dam (the second picture) I found a bunch in just a few hours there.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
ok , a bit later than i intended -- but heres my 0.02 cents of " photo analysis"

IMHO the shadow of the trees is WAY to short , cf the shadow of the " creature head "

it looks like its been pasted in -- and also wot no wake ??? - i conceed it could be stationary -- but ...............

just my opinoins , YMMV

[edit on 19-5-2006 by ignorant_ape]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Personally, I think it just looks like a bad photoshop mock up. Both the base of the neck and the top of the head are thicker and darker, meaning that some guy probably used the paintbrush tool and held it a bit too long over each end (a common mistake). Also, the hump and tail are much thicker and darker on the left than the right. All of this evidence points to PHOTOSHOPPE!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
JIMC5499 : hey , thats the sort of first hand " boots on the ground " kind of info we need

good luck , and tight lines on your fishing trip

and if you can -- do they print fishermans maps with " spot depths " etc printed on them @ the tackleshops in the area -- if so can you bring one back to scan ??

and if the area really is only 2 feet deep --- can you get a pick of you stood where the " monster " is -- up to your waist in your waders -- that would be a sound debunk - lol

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Hey I want to thank all whom have contributed to this report.

I have done some checking myself. I found someone on the net who lives in that area and checked the local phone book for the names mentioned in this report to see if they exist and live in that area.

I asked him if he had heard of the group that made these claims?(Jeff Krause, Wildlife Biologist at Raystown Lake)
or (Managing Director of Raystown Lake Dwight Beall)

His reply

Well I have never heard of these people, but it turns out that both of these names are listed in the phone book. Beall lives in Huntingdon and Krause lives in Smithfield

I have asked him to give them a call. If the report is true I am sure they will not mind but if false I am sure they would appreciate knowing someone is using thier names concerning a false report on the net.

Will let you know what he finds out.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Maybe it's the 'time travelling turd' making another appearance in it's native environment.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   
If the water there is only 2 feet deep in that spot, maybe someone put some driftwood in the water to look like a monster. Maybe it's still there. Or, maybe after the pics were taken they pulled the wood out of the lake and it's now lying on the beach near that spot?
Easy to check if you're going there.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Is there chords for google sat images to show this area ?

Is this what the thread is about ?

Also, someone said they have fished in the area, can you point out the location
of this.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by imbalanced]

[edit on 21-5-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I just looked on Yahoo Maps, Raytown is only 180 miles from my house.
I feel a summer camping trip coming on.

CX

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harry55
Beer_Guy, I noticed that to but surely a goverment agency would not go to that extreme to attract tourists.

When i spent some time at Loch Ness, i talked to the guy running the souvenier shop down at Urquart Castle on the banks of the Loch. I asked him if he really thought there was something in there and he replied, "Nah, but it's great for tourism in a sleepy village like this!"

What better way of bringing money to a dead village than to say theres a monster? Fair play to them i say.

Worked with Cottingley too did'nt it?

www.cottingley.net...

CX.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join