It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should English Be Our National Language?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
What? Are you asking my permission? Perish the thought!

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
It's obvious shugo hasen't even read the thread or he would have known that you are no bastard.

Hey shugo, here's a little idiomatic puzzle for you:
dokoka seri wa anrimasanka

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
whaaa,

Thank you. I was being beseiged by the heathens today. And I haven't even gotten a chance to post any good information yet since I was flinging off attacks.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
What? Are you asking my permission? Perish the thought!

Would you care to then elaborate further on why you seem to think ethnics don't matter and why you insist on acting like a complete idiot?

Honestly, you've flip flopped how many times? Now it seems you're turning far to sarcastic for your own damn good.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Figure it out for yourself since you seem to know more about English being a common language than I do, it seems. And since you know nihongo, you probably know more about culture and ethnicity than you think.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Figure it out for yourself since you seem to know more about English being a common language than I do, it seems. And since you know nihongo no manga, you probably know more about culture and ethnicity than you think.

Alright, fine whatever. I'm not going to sit and argue with someone who knows "less" than me then. It's your call, it's your thread, and since you know it all, just go ahead and keep on fighting the fight.

After all, what do I know, I'm just an american who can speak both English and Japanese, no real biggie. My words as a civilian mean nothing to anyone.

Dangerous mind my arse.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

En outre, ma amie merveilleuse, dans la politique, nous avons un ennemi commun.

To all posters in this thread, please refrain from non-English phrases.
English is the language here. If you wish to communicate in a way that is not easily understood by all, please use the u2u function.

Please debate the issue and not each other.
It really seems as if this topic has run its course. The same points are being brought up and members are asking for answers that ceci has said she needs to further research, and has been saying that since the beginning of this thread.
This thread is turning into quite the Slug-Fest.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Sorry, Don't Tread on Me. I won't do it again, even though I wrote it as a point. Besides, perhaps it is best based on your decision to close the thread because everyone's mind is already made up. And I am tired of being accused of being stupid and ignorant.

I acknowledge that I am. And basically. they are the ones who know better.

Please close the thread.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Sorry, Don't Tread on Me. I won't do it again, even though I wrote it as a point.

FWIW, my post was made to all who were using foreign phrases. I singled you out only to illustrate my point.

apc

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Ceci,

Has your culture been harmed by the enforcement of an English-only policy here?

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Well, Shugo, you called me a stupid b******* in Japanese.
Yes, I do know the language.

Yeah right.

You suddenly learned French and Japanese
AFTER TONE discussed translators and I
brought up BABBLEFISH.

What is this ... 9 pages and 5 days and still no answer
to the basic question asked??

Now we are getting BABBLEFISH regurgitation.
Ceci has been proven wrong, hasn't read a
darn thing posted, hasn't answered the basic
questions for days, and still pumps out racism.

This is a waste of bandwidth.

My opinion (if I get one) - close the blasted thread.

[edit on 5/22/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I have to agree with flyer 100%. I feel we have sufficiently answered the question put before us. I also believe we have debunked the myth that an official language will snuff out individual culturalism.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I believe you have. I congratulate you. Feel that you have hit one for the home team. I've moved on. I delightfully refrain from dealing with this thread. Now, I bestow the gift of talking out the subject amongst yourselves.

Btw, Flyersfan, what's Babblefish? You've been muttering those same words over and over for many a post.

[edit on 22-5-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   

original quote by ceci2006
And of course, FlyersFan had to use the same translators because her one-dimensional thinking can only take her so far.

tsk tsk..attack the arguement not the person ceci2006 be careful

And as a side note: I live in South florida and even though I do not speak spanish and many people that come into my shop cannot speak english.. and you know what happens? I try to help them anyway.. we laugh at our inability to understand oneanother verbally and then find another way to communicate..like drawings and figures and such. Sure it takes alittle longer to get things done.. but its really no skin off my back. Patience is a virtue after all.
One thing that DOES get on my last nerve though is this: When someone comes into my shop and asks "you speaka spani?" and i say "no im sorry i do not" and they either give me a nasty look or a contemptuous sigh, as if to say "what the hell is wrong with you stupid american, can speak english!?" thats what gets to me.
If i lived in a latin american country and couldnt speak spanish then i could see them doing this..But i dont i live in america where english IS and will always be9for better or for worse) our main language of communication. And ill admit im a stubborn old man and do not wish to learn another language(i have enoug trouble with this one) And I'll be damned if ANY person, govt, god will make me do anything that i do not wish to do.

In summation it all comes down to this "When in rome". The immigrants are the visiting team and must play by the home teams rules...they cannot just come in and change it...I know your arguement is that english was not the first language here and i agree.. but it is what it is. You cannot turn back the clock and undue the crappy things that this country did in its inception(in regards to the native americans).

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   

original quote by ceci2006
And of course, FlyersFan had to use the same translators because
her one-dimensional thinking can only take her so far.

HUH?
WHAT did I translate? WHERE did I post foreign languages?
(other than putting yours in a quote) Your statement makes no sense.

First you say that I had to use 'the same translators'
.. then you change your post to ... 'whats babblefish'.
CAUGHT in another lie.

gawd .. does it ever end??

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Can we not dispence with the attacks here? I have, at one time or another, in my short time on ATS agreed and disagreed with all of you. Let's all agree to disagree, and discuss the topic like we are all adults here.

Moving on.

English, for better or worse, is the dominant language of the United States, so it is the unoffical language of the country. Making it the official language would not have that much effect on our everyday world, much less an impact on other cultures brought here by immigrants, except possibly for the better. By better, I mean this: By being able to speak English, one can explain ones cultural attachments better to the outside observer making it less likely said outside observer will react badly. Plus it just makes it easier for the new arrivals to get along in our society.

In making the decision to come to this country, one has made the agreement to go along with the rules here, stated and unstated. One of the unstated, but I thought understood, rules is you must learn English. That whole "when in Rome" thing.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Yes, seagull. And I hope you guys can talk it out. Good luck. I wish you the civility and kindness you can bestow on each other while hashing this issue out. I've truly moved on. I've made peace with my views regarding this rule. It's going to happen, even though I don't like it.

It's just sad that some people lack empathy.

apc

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Empathy or sympathy?

My previous inquiry was completely legitimate btw...

Do you feel that your life has been harmed in any way by the enforcement of an English-only policy here on ATS?

Except for the fact that you already speak English, this is the same issue you have been arguing against. I would just like to know how this made you feel. Do you feel hurt?

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
and discuss the topic like we are all adults here.

Discussion requires a two way dialog. That wasn't,
and still isn't, happening. Using a thread as a
soap box for a position you are married to isn't
'discussing'. Not answering questions and not
reading facts and materials presented isn't
'discussing'. It's just pontificating.

Sorry seagull ... discussion with the author of the
thread wasn't achievable in this case.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
True enough I guess, which strikes me as odd, because generally speaking I have found her to be fairly even handed. I guess we all have our blind spots.

Talk to me about Holocaust Denial for example
, nothing but blind spots there.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join