It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should English Be Our National Language?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
describe exactly how this will negatively impact culture and heritage.

5 pages ... and still she hasn't (or can't ) answer this simple
question. Are you going to answer this question anytime
this year Ceci? hmmmmmmm?

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Of course I’m stupid for even responding to this crap.

Never argue with drunks, fools, and board trolls.
Sometimes it's easy to forget that, eh Blaine?

I think apc gave up and left. Blaine too.
NOW I'm outta' here. dg can U2U me if Ceci ever
bothers to answer that one simple question apc asked.

[edit on 5/19/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I agree with pawnplayer. If I moved to Germany, I would learn German. If I moved to France, I would learn French. If I moved to China, I would learn Chinese,etc,etc. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to learn a foreign language right away, but I would have to eventually because it would be totally unrealistic for me to expect that they (the country I moved to) to learn my language.

Similarlly, it should be unrealistic for ANY immigrant to expect that Americans are going to bend over backwards to learn their language, irregardless of what that language is, German, French, Chinese, etc.

If the Germans started moving to France by the millions, does that automatically mean that the French should start learning German?

In Germany, the "official" language is German. In France, it's French. In China, it's Chinese. In the US and England, it's English, period.

If any immigrant comes to this country from anywhere and are at least making an attempt to learn English, that's one thing. That I can work with and deal with.

But for "them" to expect "us" to learn "their" language is quite another thing.

I suppose that eventually I'll HAVE to learn basic Spanish (or Chinese) in order to be able to go about basic day to day functions. But it's wrong.

English absolutely should be the official language of the United States, and if you want to live hear, and expect to function in American society, you should be at least making an attempt to learn it.

Well, that's my rant on the subject. I feel strongly about this issue. I'm glad someone posted this.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by Chezz]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I think we should absolutely have English as our official language. If you want to come to the US (legally) by all means, welcome! Learn English. Even if you don't speak it well, learn it and speak it. It has been company policy at several companies I worked for that you HAD to speak English, because then people would know you weren't talking about them or anything like that, so we should expand it and make it on a national level as well.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
Since you're a great specimen for a neocon, break it down for me. What's it like to be an American who doesn't give a care about other races?

Having "other races" learn English is caring about them, they need to learn English if they want to advance in our nation.

And I don't see what being a "neocon" has to do with it, it sounds like you aren't sure what a "neocon" is...

-- Boat

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
If English is going to be the national language then they should adopt the correct spelling of words and stop bastardising the language by altering the spelling because people arent intelligent enough to write it correctly.

At least the Canadians have got the language right.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Why FlyersFan, you care. I thought you were going to leave this thread alone. I'm still waiting for my "neo-con" lesson about Americanism.

I find it fascinating that you call me an "Anti-White" racist. But no matter. When you had the opportunity to enlighten me about your brand of sociology, well heck. You dropped the ball at the goal line. (another stereotype about people of color and sports, btw).

It seems that you aren't happy when I do discuss race. And you aren't happy when I don't discuss race. Which is it?

And about the "one trick pony" comment: how nice to equate those different from your race, an animal!

It's nice that you're venturing into conflict theory, social interaction and functionalism.

But today, I want a lecture from you about the Master Status. Knowing your command of sociological theory, I'm sure you're teaching the Master course--especially when it has to do with the English only rule.

And yes...I'm still thinking about what apc said. I will write it like I always do for people I think thoughtfully about. But I'm sure it'll fall on deaf ears anyway.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
That means English first. All other languages second.

So if you immigrate to, let's say Japan, you're not going to bother to learn Japanese? Or if you go to France, you're not going to learn French? If you move to another country then YES you should learn the language, or why bother going there. It's not up to the people who live there to learn your language. If they know it, more power to them, if they don't it's not their responsibility to learn it. You moved to their country, you should learn their language.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
hahaha, ceci, nice try, but i wasn't saying that only illegals - as the LAW puts it - need to learn english. everyone who wants the rights of a US citizen needs to learn the language. please, do try learning to read.

and to the canuck that thinks we can't spell correctly, i'd like to ask just what it is we spell wrong as a country.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pawnplayer
The difference is that they have never demanded their native languages to be shown alongside with the English language everywhere. Who demanded and pushed for the Spanish language to be shown alongside with the English? The Hispanic immigrants from Mexico and Central America.

I dunno man...here in NYC you go to an ATM and the ATM is in 10 different language options. I don't see it as a problem. There are Chinese stores that just have Chinese writing on their awnings...doesn't bother me..If I don't know what it says I don't patronize the place its as simple as that. Their loss. Apparently they want to attract their own kind as customers which is fine by me. I don't sweat the light stuff. I think this is all a big smokescreen to take our minds away from the important stuff anyway if you ask me.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
I dunno man...here in NYC you go to an ATM and the ATM is in 10 different language options. I don't see it as a problem.

once again, i've seen evidence firsthand that the 'justice' system gets held up even further by lack of a commonality in language. more than just convenience is affected.

Mod Edit: Quoting Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
English as the national language?

I vote CI CI!!! cece..

It's practical, and might go a long way in getting people who would normally not communicate with each other, to actually talk.

It's also a good way to do business, speaking a common language.
It should be mandatory for citizenship as well. Maybe then communities of "like" cultures and languages could assimilate, and someday in the future, our country won't be so divided..

So again.

DAH! DAH!, english, let make it official..

apc

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Don't worry ceci. The only time I'm not listening is when my brain and I get in a fight so I try to stab it with Q-tips.

I am a tad confused though. All this was/is apparently the basis for your argument against an official language. As such, one would think you already had thought this through. Curious if this is not so.

On another matter...
I like using the letter Z. It's a lonely, forgotten letter otherwise. And I dont see how dropping the U succeeding O in many words is a bastardly act. It's my language and I'll do with it what I please.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
apc, I really will write that essay about language and culture. But right now, I am just viewing the hypocrisy of people right before my eyes.

And I am enjoying it.

And apc, you can have whatever language you like. After all, it is your First Amendment Right. I think people forget that when they try to force something on other people. The irony is, the government right now does not truly respect the Constitution anyway. They seem to be passing all these laws that eliminate the "dignity" and "privacy" and "liberty" of people left and right.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
so you've been making it a habit to go back over your own posts? talk about conceit.

perhaps if you read what other people wrote you'd understand that we have a valid point and a reason to say the things we're saying. you're just condoning perpetuated laziness among the american immigrant population.

and yeah, i said immigrat - anyone who was born here knows the language.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
There's no conceit here. In fact, it's a shame that we even have to have this conversation about an English only Law. It's a meaningless gesture.

And apc, you'll get my point of view soon enough. But right now, I'd like to think about the entire thread first. And then, I'll write what I think.

And about Canadians: Right now after watching one of their Parliamentary proceedings on CSPAN, I respect them a lot more than my own fellow citizens.

apc

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I'm not going anywhere. Sitting... waiting... wondering what I should wear when this finally bursts into the light.

I just hope you dont bust out three pages of "Forcing people to learn our language robs them of their heritage!!!" over and over again like as has been thus far.

When I go to Mexico, which I do, I speak Spanish. I am expected to speak Spanish. I can strut around wrapped in an American flag, and aside from the odd glances due to my interesting fasion sense, my 'culture' is not harmed. I still eat hot dogs and apple pie... and I hate apple pie.

And apc, you can have whatever language you like. After all, it is your First Amendment Right. I think people forget that when they try to force something on other people.

My little snippit on the differences of American English vs. British English was more in jest at the accusation of our version being "bastardized" (with a Z). Is Quebec French any less French?

And I absolutely agree nothing should be forced on anyone. I should not be forced to pay for translation services for people who refuse to learn the native language. Noone is forcing anyone to learn English. It is entirely their choice. At present time, I do not have the luxury of choice. My tax dollars either pay for the translators, or my tax dollars pay for the translators.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 03:39 AM
link   
apc,

It won't be another three pages. I am off my tirade about the neocons and their insensitivity of language. I am now feeling much better about the world and my contempt for it has passed.

It'll be written later tomorrow, because it's getting very late where I am. But, yes, I am trying to formulate what I am going to say about this issue in the best way possible. I'm sure no one will like it. But, I will attempt to rehabilitate my position in this thread.

Thank you for waiting patiently. I appreciate your kindness despite my horrible day yesterday.

--Ceci

Besides don't believe the hype from FlyersFan. I'm not a fool, troll, nor a drunk or a "one trick pony". However, despite whatever you might think of me, I am forthright.

[edit on 20-5-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Everytime I buy a piece of gear the instruction manual is in English, Spanish and French. WTF French?

I love it when the English directions are translated word for word and it doesnt make any sense.
But most of our products come from overseas so nothing to really get rilled up about.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I love it when the English directions are translated word for word and it doesnt make any sense.

I feel the same about marg's posts. Just kidding, marg! dg made me do it!

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

I feel the same about marg's posts. Just kidding, marg! dg made me do it!
Trying to start trouble, Eh?!
You thrive on that.
Marg went to Puerto Rico to brush up on her Spanish.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join