It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should English Be Our National Language?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   

This is what I think: I think the English only rule is a waste of legislation. It borders on racism because a language is part of a person's culture. Taking away another's language is like robbing them of their heritage.

Who is suggesting "Taking away another's language"?

Borders on racism. That's a new argument from you.

However, for the rest of us that fit into the multi-cultural part of America, language is special and it attributes to the life and vivaciousness of the country.

Why do you continue to insult people here by implying that only you are the one, totally non-biased person on this board?

Imho, some people just feel that they want to rob other cultures of their identity to prove their patriotism and Americansm.

There probably are such people, but I haven't seen any of them here.

I may sound presumptuous, but I think I speak for a lot of people here who love the sound of a family speaking in their native tongue. When I go to the St. Anthony's festival, I feel like I'm in Rome. It adds to our greatness as a nation. So for you to suggest otherwise is an insult to many of us.

apc

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
There is no robbing people of their culture, or stripping them of their language, or any of this other radical nonsense.

And how in the world did this become a criminal issue??

Basically, this would save LOTS of taxpayer money.

Example: go to your local welfare office. Next to the front desk you will likely see a sign. The sign will state "We have interepreters available for:... " and then about thirty different languages.

Who do you think pays for these interpreters? You and me.

English is the native language here. Period, end of story. We should not be expected to make up for the fact that some people come here and actively REFUSE to learn our language.

Someones fast food order getting screwed up is a pretty pathetic argument. Hell, it can be a bunch of albinos working at McD's who dont even use contractions, and they'll still get an order messed up every now and then. That's not the point. The point is, when a police officer pulls someone over, they shouldn't have to wait for another officer to arrive who speaks the language of the subject. Government offices shouldnt have stacks of forms on hand at all times in a dozen different languages, or a team of interpreters on call.

It's a complete waste of money for us to maintain support for languages that are not widely spoken. English is extremely easy to learn. Any Latin based language is. Making English official doesn't put people at a disadvantage... they put themselves there.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Some additional data, to disprove the notion that only a "few" Americans are in favor of English as a national language:

Vast Majority of Americans Support Official English

National polling data indicates that the overwhelming majority of Americans, including Hispanics, support making English the official language.

· 84% of Americans, including 77% of Hispanics, believe English should be the official language of government operations, according to a 2006 Zogby International poll. [1]

· Support for making English the official language is bi-partisan: 92% of Republicans, 82% of Democrats and 77% of Independents favor making English the official language, according to that same poll. [1]
www.proenglish.org...

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well - I had heard the stats but thanks for making them part of the record. Additionally,if 3/4 of Hispanics think it should be the language of government operations then I think the whole argument becomes moot. I don't believe that making Anglais the official language of operations that it would, in any way, detract from one's culture. Little Italy in NYC seems to be thriving and speaking a lot of Italian, ditto for Chinatown.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
First you say this -

Originally posted by ceci2006
I would like to hear about your thoughts regarding this question.

And then you say this -

this English Only business is stupid and racist.
And I feel sorry for people who actually want this to happen.

So how exactly is it that you really want to hear peoples thoughts
on this question when all you do is just turn around and blast people who
give you their opinion and call them ... *drumroll* racist (again).

Having an official language of English is in no way racist. It is common
sense for business, for school, and for the fire/police/hospitals/emergencies.

HECK YES have English the 'official language'. Teach everyone the
language so it can be 'in common' and draw us together as a nation;
so it can be used for emergency purposes; so the children can learn
better in schools; etc. etc. etc. Doing this in no way infringes upon
people's rights to speak what they want in their own homes or in their
cars or on walks in the park or in chat forums or etc etc etc

Contractors use 'in common' measurements to build cars and houses.
It's the only way these things can get built properly. If each person
used a different measurement there would be no communication; nothing
would be built; everyone would be frustrated; and fights would break out.
Same goes for an 'official language' in this country. Having an 'in common'
language for official use brings people togther and helps end miscommunications.

[edit on 5/19/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Taking away another's language is like robbing them of their heritage.

Well, no one here is taking any kind of heritage away from Mexicans. The Spanish did that a long time ago by forcing them to speak Spanish.
It's more of a transfer of heritage removal and not the actual removal of said heritage.

Here's an interesting story I heard 2 days ago. My mother and I were talking about this same subject and she educated me to the attitude that some Spanish-speaking folks here in Texas have. Several of her co-workers (who speak and write English quite well) told her that they only speak Spanish when they deal with other businesses. The pretend that they can't speak English to help create an artificial demand for bilingual people. They said it helps to create bilingual jobs and furthers the Spanish language (Which is not their language of heritage, just birth).

There's no-telling how many idiots are running around doing the same thing and it's fine by me if a business wants to push Spanish, but our government should insist it's business be done in the language of our countries birth, English. Of course anything that's pro-United States is racist to the liberals, so expect to hear the name calling continue. It looks as if at least 63 of our United States senators are racist pigs. I'd like to join their side and say "God bless America". (In English of course)

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It's kind of pointless wasting time talking about this... For some reason it comes up, oh, every 3-4 years when the media has absolutely nothing else to talk about... nothing ever happens.

Granted it might be interesting to talk about for people hearing this for the first time but seriously, nothing is made into law.

I fear people are talking about this because there is little else to debate on ATS, heh.

English won't become the official language because:

1. It doesn't need to. If an immigrant is truly too lazy to learn the most common language of a country they're already an American.

2. People will assimilate (eventually)... if not them, then their children...

3. You can't get a good job without knowing English and eventually people will want better jobs.

4. Freedom and immigrants is what America is all about!!! Duh-hahah.

5. The internet is the future, hardly face-to-face communication... Guess what language the coolest websites are in (think ATS).

6. Anyone who has lived in a big city or on the border knows that other languages are not a big deal, you'd be surprised what a look and a smile will get you.

I could keep going. I'm just trying to prevent people from wasting their time.

-Brian

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'm so sorry that some people feel its an insult to America to oppose the English only rule. At this point of it, it's nearly a done deal.

You should be happy. Jump for joy. Of course, it's not racist. Silly me. Sorry for even mentioning the aspect of culture around here. We have no culture. We just have Americanism.

Don't mind the liberal rhetoric on this thread. After all, I'm beginning to learn that conservatives know better. The Bland is chic. FOX is king. And the nationalists rule the game.

I might as well call Los Banos, "The Baths" for now on.

Carry on.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The biggest problem I can see with living in the US and not speaking English is this:

“Goelgee advernex ett whisso marnck. Biecknis arflint ib o wasyo dend verpy? Tellowhernt westick ib ett sobeent cralgor det. Nortent esme o ib vegorbets altoonical vergh oleeneft ett horwrintinter ba tezvertigorn. Bassentreen ba ett vornintenteaneg alstimatinck o vart.”

Any one care to respond?

If I could not speak English what kind of job could I expect to qualify for? If I can not read the application how could I fill it out? When I go shopping for food how will I know what’s in the cans and boxes on the shelves? How would I pass the test to get a drivers license? If my child were hurt badly how would I communicate with emergency services to get help? What kind of life could I expect to have when I can not read, write or communicate with others? What chance would my children have for a decent future if they can not communicate? Wouldn’t it amount to child abuse if I would not let my child learn the language because of some misguided loyalty too a country that could not even provide for its own citizens due to corruption and apathy?

We are a country that welcomes immigrants with open arms provided they follow our laws and all we ask in return is that they learn our ways and how to communicate with us. In what way is this unreasonable. This is realy about a bunch of crooked politicians trying to scam votes from the illiterate. The sad part of it is that their own leaders are their worst enemy. They could give a crap less what happens to these people as long as they get what they want. It’s bad enough that their native country was so bad that they had to leave it to survive.

If they could communicate in the native language at least they and their children would have a chance at a decent life. Anyone that tells them otherwise is their worst enemy. They are the real racists in this picture.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I agree. Heritage means nothing. Diversity means nothing. Ethnic and racial differences mean nothing.

English and Americanism is everything.

Teach me more. Season me out of my racial diversity. Please go ahead.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by ceci2006]

apc

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Please explain how this affects culture and ethnicity.

I would really like to know.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
But don't you see? Ethnicity and heritage means nothing. You've read the comments on this board. We must all be Americans. We must all learn English.

To heck with multi-culturalism. There is no race here. After all the "dominant" culture and their demand for English has won.

You don't have to worry anymore about it. Continue to speak about the virtues of English and Americanism.

apc

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Please answer the question.

Yes, I read the comments on the board. Some of them are pretty ignorant, concerned more about getting the wrong toppings on their Big Mac or whatever.

Did you read my comments?

How is race a factor?

How is culture a factor?

How is heritage a factor?

How does this have anything to do with any issue other than what language people must use in official communications?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Do you honestly think that 20 million Americans moving to China would gain a different response? Or if 20 million Chinese moved to France should we gasp in horror as France declares that all official activities be done in French? Why the suprise here?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Ethnicity and heritage means nothing.

ohhhhh pahleeeeeeeeeease!

Expecting people to learn English so that the can communicate
effectively if they ever call 9/11 or have to go to a hospital is
in no way making people give up their heritage.

People of Italian heritage can still have their spaghetti Wednesdays
and people of Puerto Rican heritage can still have rice and beans and
chatter away at the dinner table in Spanish all the while having
English as the official language of America.

And don't say that I'm racist because of 'spaghetti wednesday'.
It's done here in the Italian part of town every week. They
speak English (most with an accent), and they still manage
to have their Spaghetti Wednesdays and viva italia festivals.

This thread was started under false pretenses as I already
showed a few posts ago. bu-bye

[edit on 5/19/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I did read your comments. And I decided that besides what little pride I have left, I must strip my heritage, culture and language to become American.

And you neocons know how to do it best. Call this my insertion into the American landscape today.

English should be spoken. Don't worry yourself about culture or race or ethnicity.

If I retracted myself and mentioned them again, "I'd be screaming about racism."

Not today. I am learning how to be a conservative republican neocon today. No more liberal rhetoric for a day.

I'm learning to be blind about multi-culturalism and officially accept the American way. And that means speaking English and forcing others to speak English. I'm forgetting my history and my culture.

None of that liberal mess anymore. In fact, I'll celebrate my new Americanism by watching FOX today to prove my conversion.

apc

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I did read your comments. And I decided that besides what little pride I have left, I must strip my heritage, culture and language to become American.

Please explain. How does being required to learn English in order to understand a ballot card or tax form, strip one of their heritage, culture, and language.

You are severely manipulating the issue into areas it simply doesnt impact. Instead of stating these poor arguments over and over again, please explain them in detail.

And I'm a neocon now? Wow... awesome. Do I get a badge?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   

None of that liberal mess anymore. In fact, I'll celebrate my new Americanism by watching FOX today to prove my conversion.

Well, it looks as if he's gone and done it now.

courtesy of

[edit on 19-5-2006 by dbates]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   

But don't you see? Ethnicity and heritage means nothing. You've read the comments on this board. We must all be Americans. We must all learn English.

To heck with multi-culturalism. There is no race here. After all the "dominant" culture and their demand for English has won.

You don't have to worry anymore about it. Continue to speak about the virtues of English and Americanism.

I have a suspicion that if I were to start posting all over this site in an obscure language, that nobody understands, you would be one of the first people to complain. If an immigrant were to take your advice they could look forward to a rewarding life as a dishwasher and their children could follow in their footsteps.

Nobody is proposing that we make it illegal to speak more than one language. Nobody is suggesting that immigrants give up their culture. All playing the race card means is that you have backed yourself into a corner and don’t have a valid point to argue. You can not possibly believe that not being able to speak the language is anything but a handicap. Or is it just that you hate Americans? In what way is hating Americans any different than racism? Or is it that you hate these immigrants so much you don’t want them to have a good life?

[edit on 19-5-2006 by Blaine91555]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Good Riddance, FlyerFan. Enjoy V-dare for me. And Fair as well. They're supposed to be cool, nationalist web sites.

apc,

I'm not accusing you of being a neocon. I've decided that I am not going seriously take race and ethnicity anymore for today. I'm slowly finding out that it doesn't matter. Racism doesn't exist. Only Americanism does.

I have learned that diversity on this thread, like this board is a pipe dream. This thread was not started on false pretenses. I really did want to talk about the virtues of culture and language and what it means to diversity.

But from people's comments, I've learned that these things don't matter. I'm "screaming about race". As a result, I've decided to stop caring about race for today. In fact, I am going to spend this thread learning about America from the rest of you.

After all, since no one cares about diversity when talking about these issues. It's about time that I forget my roots and my race. Today, I simply want to become a neocon American who speaks English.

Forget about the rhetoric about "undocumented workers". Boy, that was too nice of me to refer to them that way. For today, they'll be illegals. And those "illegals" will have to learn English.

Now, doesn't that sound nice?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join