It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should English Be Our National Language?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
you're being tremendously facetious. accents and dialects are completely different from a different language.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
No, actually he's not. Some people who are native speakers of English don't know how to put two sentences together.

I think it's actually fair to have them deported too for their lack of understanding of the English language.

Then, that way, we'll only have people who can truly be erudite in their expression of the literary form of English. And forget about the rest who butcher it. I can just see all the illiterate native speakers in the country being carted off in trucks.

Yeah, I think you might be on to something with that "English only" law.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents
simple. all official documents and signage would be printed in english only. private contractrors would have to print signs in other languages (other languages wouldn't be illegal, just not supported), and anyone desiring citizenship would be required to pass a basic english proficiency exam.

I totally agree. If you want to do business here, speak the language. Nobody is trampling on anybody's culture or heritage or anything like that. That's just a specious argument.

Nobody is saying, forget your native tongue. What is being said is that if you want to take your drivers license test, etc., be prepared to take it in English.

When you go home, or wherever, feel free to speak whatever tongue you want.

How can it be any clearer than that?

Edit: I like your idea of using private contractors to do the translating. That's the American spirit - fill a need, and make a million.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
No, actually he's not. Some people who are native speakers of English don't know how to put two sentences together.

a) i said that anyone who was here could stay. learn to read if you're going to attempt to make a valid point.

b) if someone is too stupid to speak correctly, they ought to be put in a special home.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Well, of course, there's always those "camps" that Halliburton built. After all, they can house all the illiterate there who can't put two sentences together.

As I think about it, I think that English only law is simply sensational. Test the illerate for their I.Q. And if they are below 100 and cannot put two sentences together, put them into camps and have them deported so that our country can be free of illiterates and mental degenerates who can't natively write well and read even Shakespeare. And if they can't critically think, then they're definitely out of the country.

To think about it, that might mean half the White House would be wiped out according to this "English only" business. Including the President.

I think 25Cents, you might be on to something big.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Yeah, put them right next to those racist Minutemen vigilantes and fascist Republican cultural phenomonons.

I like DarkElf's solution - make everybody speak real slow southern style.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Oh are you speaking to me? I thought you didn't like my bs.

But I don't have a really hard heart. I'd have to turn my back as you are being taken to Halliburton's camps.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
jesus. way to overblow the situation in a massive way. if someone can't string two sentences together, they're legally retarded, and they do have places for those people, nursing homes. quit this liberal sissy double-talk and address the real issue.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
You live here, or become a citizen of the USA you need to speak English!

When I do search and rescue, my life is on the line, when I yell "Fire department is anyone here?" and some crackhead that cant speak English thinks I am policia and starts shooting at me, we have a problem.

I dont need to have some woman running up to me trying to get me to save her children and I cannot understand her and go to the wrong portion of her home where the danger of collapse is the greatest because I think that is where she said her little ones are, and they are at the other end of the home. We have a problem.

Its not convenience to learn the language of the country you live in, it can be a lifesaver. You ever try and ask an illegal alien what there problem is when they need emergency medical treatment, and all you get is the only english they know "no speak english" as they bleed to death. Sorry but this is an important problem that needs to be fixed.

Or would you rather all of your police and fire have to learn spanish?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
What liberal sissy talk? It makes perfect sense. The English only law not only penalizes the illegals. But also it would have criminalize the illiterate who can't even write a paragraph. Not to mention those who don't even have a high school education.

I think it's a wonderfully conservative idea. And forget about those Minutemen. They can be used to round up the illiterates and help the border patrol and national guard put them on the trucks to the camps.

Yes, 25 cents. I think your dream will be realized. Intellectually functional people behind the counters of fast food places.

And think of it! Politicians that can actually write books!

It's not a sissy idea at all. And I thank you for suggesting it.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I don't know if a lot of you people notice what a lot of people that complain about illegal immigration tend to gripe about. I always hear "I hate going to [insert favorite fast food joint] and getting my order wrong" and all these other minor ridiculous reasons. I have yet to hear about a problem with important things like banks ,government offices,brokerage firms,law firms or other places of importance. I have had just as many perfect english speaking people screw up my order as I have had spanish or other non-english speaking people screw up my order. If I walk into a bodega in a spanish area I would expect them to not be able to speak english and just grab my stuff I need and leave. I don't stick around trying to hold conversations on world affairs.

For the person who said that a person must speak english to become a citizen, well it always has been part of the naturalization process that a person be able to speak,read and write english at least to a 3rd grade level. They are also tested orally and written on US History and other various questions. So for them to practice or take the tests they must have some knowledge beforehand.

Whenever I have traveled outside of the country I have never had a problem in meeting or speaking with english speaking locals or business owners. English is basically a second language in most countries.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Well, ThePieMaN, just look at LoneGunMan's post for examples of when language is important. It's not only useful when ordering a pizza.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I know, pieman. I'm playing Devil's Advocate. Because this English Only business is stupid and racist.

And I feel sorry for people who actually want this to happen.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
Oh are you speaking to me? I thought you didn't like my bs.

I don't. You totally perverted my words vs McKinney. You won't be allowed to get away with that with me.

But I don't have a really hard heart. I'd have to turn my back as you are being taken to Halliburton's camps.

See you there.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Whatever. It's not really a big issue at all. I just found out that even insensitive people have their limits--when the law actually affects them.

However, it might make sense to do it. It would make the American populace a lot smarter. And I bet the voting patterns would change because it would center around people who actually think--instead of being indoctrinated with political propaganda from FOX news.

After all, only the people in the camps would be allowed to watch "Hannity and Colmes". 24-7. While those who are literate in the English language would actually have decent stations to watch.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
And about perverting your words, jsobecky, why are you here on my thread? Why aren't you on that Minutemen thread cheering their efforts? Misery loves company and crap does too.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Of course the national language should be English!

It’s hard enough to go to a McDonalds already! Seriously though, a unified language is part of what makes a country strong. Can you imagine if everyone spoke their native tongue all the time? Plus the fact that it costs money. Then there's the issue of segregation. How are people going to interact if everyone speaks a different language? I have noticed that all the Eastern Europeans I have encountered speak English or they learn it ASAP. I have never heard one of them complain about it and I work with Russians, Bulgarians and other East Euro’s every day.

I think it absurd for someone to immigrate to America and then not bother to learn English or learn just a few words. Tell me this; if you immigrated to another country would they change their language for you? Of course not! If I moved to a foreign land that's one of the first things I would do out of respect for my new homeland.

In fact, speaking of McDonalds, at least half the time they get my order wrong due to language. Just this morning I went there and after spending an inordinate amount of time at the speaker I then pull up to window one where they take my order again. Then instead of speaking English to each other, they speak Spanish. What's wrong with this you say? Well, I then pull up to the next window only to find that my order is still wrong! If they would have spoken English at the previous window I may have been able to correct them. At other times I ask for something at the window and they can’t even understand me (I speak clear English (no slang).

So again I say allowing multiple languages only results in confusion, expense, segregation and a broken country. Isn't it broken enough?

And to answer thepieman, go back and read lonegunman's post.

As for ceci2006, you're a real liberal piece of work. You've got allot of hatred there. Give me some evidence that would suggest that the minutemen are racist. Oh, you must be one of those that would prefer everyone pour across the border including terrorists and this country be in disarray with everyone doing whatever feels good.

Liberalism leads to nothing but anarchy.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by jbondo]

[edit on 19-5-2006 by jbondo]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Don't blame me. Blame jsobecky. He called the Minutemen racist. So unfortunately, he's the liberal piece of work to whom you refer.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
OK - I've read this thread and I can see where this is headed. I don't think that it is racist to insist that if you are being provided services in a country that you reside in,that you be able to communicate in the language of that country. I've been to several Central American countries and have picked up enough of the local dialect and language to be able to communicate in the native tongue. People in every country that I've been in appreciate the effort. Why would they not extend the same courtesy here?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I know from the earlier part of the thread, you probably thought it was way off kilter. It was. And I apologize for that. I would like a serious discussion now without bickering. So, I will start with the civilities and stop what has been a long, drawn out mess from the beginning of the morning.

This is what I think: I think the English only rule is a waste of legislation. It borders on racism because a language is part of a person's culture. Taking away another's language is like robbing them of their heritage.

However, for some Americans, they feel that speaking English is a part of the country. For those few, it probably is.

However, for the rest of us that fit into the multi-cultural part of America, language is special and it attributes to the life and vivaciousness of the country.

I believe that people should learn English. And people are already learning English.

Imho, some people just feel that they want to rob other cultures of their identity to prove their patriotism and Americansm. It is something that America, as a colonizing power, has done since its inception.

And sadly enough, some people never learn that when different cultures give up the most personal parts of their character, they lose themselves and their very nature.

And by this law probably passing, it will wipe out what uniqueness our country has left.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join