It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Re: Government Servers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
DKI -

You told us you had some links on type of servers or operating systems that the government uses. Most of them are actually custom made UNIX type OSs?

Can someone please explain this..?

Mod Edit: All Caps Title – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18/5/2006 by Umbrax]

[edit on 5/18/06 by infoconalpha1]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Is there any place I can go were there is more activity than this forum? Please?

If you dont know the answer...Just please say "I dont know...." I do not mind. Then, I will move on to another forum.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
infoconalpha1, I'm not sure why you are so interested in this topic. I have a feeling, though, that your lack of responses may be due to a general lack of interest.

I believe most government operations are supported by Unix variants because it has always been considered a more reliable, secure and sophisticated os than the alternatives. Windows has been trying to catch up for years, but it still remains too buggy and more vulnerable to attack than Unix.

What do you suggest the government use as a more suitable operating environment? And why?

d1k

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:28 AM
link   
The link I was thinking about is dead. It was 5+ years old.

Sorry.

Just search google, you'll get tons of links to good information.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by d1k]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I found another link for you guys...There are quite the same screenshots of my first PDF link, but on this one on the far right, the mapping tool screen is indeed running Solaris. Check it out...

Also, what does the other is running? I mean the one in the center??? Is that also running Soalris too? Its hard to tell because the that guy is in the way....Take a look here:
Sorry...The link did not work...So heres the long way to get to it...

1. Just go to Google Images, and type TRUSTED SOLARIS.

2. And look for the one is named: "Photos from USJFCOM: Combined Joint ..."

And you will see the pictures...The far right is indeed running Solaris. But what about the one in the center?

The reason Im interested in this, is that I just wish to know what the Government is using...What there running on to store OUR information, how are information is handled...How is OUR information backedup? How is OUR information handled or kept on UNIX or Windows?? Thats all I wanted to know...

And dont PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! DO NOT BE MISTAKEN HERE. Im not asking this to do malicious intent to Government systems. No no no. Its not a crime just to wonder what there running on...I hope you understand...And I got flamed on other computer forums just by asking if there are running Windows or UNIX...

DK1 -

Anyway, the link id dead, can you give me the or post the link here anyway for me please? I just want to see the link...Maybe I seen it before. I just want to see the name of the link.

Thanks.

[edit on 5/19/06 by infoconalpha1]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
QUOTE>>>"What do you suggest the government use as a more suitable operating environment? And why? "

I WOULD SUGGEST NOT WINDOWS...I would suggest more like Trusted B1-level Trusted Solaris with MAC (Mandatory Access Controls), OpenBSD, and Trusted OpenVMS, Trusted HP-UX....ALL B1-LEVEL Certified, and even the RS/6000 running the AIX 5.0L type OS.

Those 5 that I mentioned are suitable for Government and military systems. Linux.....MAYBE...But NOT suggested...Because LINUX has not been around for a while. These commercial UNIX systems had been around for a long time than LINUX has. But LINUX is growing. And LINUX is not UNIX. Its was never certified to be a UNIX operating system. They would also NOT use linux because its OPEN SOURCE. Also that I have been mentioning OpenBSD....even if it is the MOST secure OS around, its still open source, and Governments do not like open source softwares...And even the I.T. techs do not trust open source software for some reason...

Also, I forgot to mention the Mainframe type systems they should use...They should use the IBM's z/oS OS....Its VERY VERY secure.....and trusted and reliable. Next, UNISYS Mainframes...very secure. I have a friend who works for the City, and their running Mainframes running z/OS for the police dispatch center and all 9-11 related comm centers.

Check out this laptop company...Just Google "Tadpole notebooks." Those laptops are meant only for the US Air Force and the Governments. And take a look at their Customers page...Even the CIA uses them. Those notebooks are all running SOLARIS.

In my personal opinion: Here are my thoughts on what the military/Government uses:

There OWN CUSTOM made UNIX system as somone also said...And other thoughts were these:

1. Mainframes running the z/OS
2. Trusted OpenVMS
3. Trusted Solaris
4. OpenBSD......Not very likely because its open source...
5. HP-UX-Trusted...
6. RS/6000's running the AIX 5L OS...VERY VERY reliable OS indeed. Also, the RS/6000's from IBM, are also used by the DMV, and the Warrant System.

[edit on 5/19/06 by infoconalpha1]

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Is there any reason WHY this forum isn't active? Just wondering....

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This thread isn't very active because a) most folks don't give a hoot what operating systems the government uses so long as their relief check arrives on time, or b) they have worked in the field, or know someone who has, and already know the answers to most of these questions, or c) they are suspicious of your intentions and interest in this topic, or, and this is most likely, d) most people find the subject boring and a waste of time to discuss - after all, what is anyone gaining by contributing to this thread? It's very simply old, unexciting news.

BTW, I think many government operations also used Tandem Computers in the past, because of their fault tolerant architecture.

Have fun ...

new topics

top topics

join