It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History of Freemasons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I've seen many posts here that are a bit uneducated and sometimes just plain lacking in sound reason concerning Freemasons. I have found it is mostly a misguided view of their history. Here is a good site to visit for those of you who do not know, those who think you do, or for those that would just like a refresher. There are also included links at the end to other Freemason related sites and arguments. Enjoy

History of Freemasons

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Freemasons can be traced back to medieval times when stonemasons formed guilds and unions,

some researchers have presented a good case for the existance of "freemasonry" long
before the existance of masons guilds. A point to remember is many of the projects
that required numerous stoneworkers also were controled by the church and took
more than one generation to complete. there was no need to move about.

The secrets seem to be the mysticism that Freemasonry includes in its tradition. These include upholding the debunked sciences such as alchemy and astrology that were important to the fraternity in medieval times. Although they are understood as false today,

they are only understood to be false by those who are to blind to see and deaf to hear the true depth of their meanings.

The Shrine is not a real Masonic body,

I am sure that this would be news to the thousands of Master Masons (a requirement
as I recall) who are members of the Shrine. And probably the thousands who have received treatment at Shrine Hospitals.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by stalkingwolf
I am sure that this would be news to the thousands of Master Masons (a requirement
as I recall) who are members of the Shrine. And probably the thousands who have received treatment at Shrine Hospitals.

The Shriners are co-masonic as far as I can tell, dude. Attached to Freemasonry, but not Freemasonry itself.

The beneficiaries of their charity are irrelevant as to whether they are an officially Masonic body.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roark

The Shriners are co-masonic as far as I can tell, dude. Attached to Freemasonry, but not Freemasonry itself.

Yes they are a side order but I dont think they are "Co-Mason" unless its changed
there are no women members in Shrine. I could be wrong though.

The beneficiaries of their charity are irrelevant as to whether they are an officially Masonic body.

probably true but ...

York and Scottish Rite can be considered as side orders also as there is no requirement
as I recall to take any degree's beyond the 3rd / Master Mason. Yet they like the Shrine
require a person to be a Master Mason.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by stalkingwolf
Yes they are a side order but I dont think they are "Co-Mason" unless its changed
there are no women members in Shrine. I could be wrong though.

Just men.

York and Scottish Rite can be considered as side orders also as there is no requirement
as I recall to take any degree's beyond the 3rd / Master Mason. Yet they like the Shrine
require a person to be a Master Mason.

If you join the Scottish Rite, you go through the degrees. Its part of joining. Same goes for the York rite. So yes there is a requirement to take the additional degrees if you join either body.

The Shriners however have no such degrees and are a social/charity group that is made up of Masons, but is not 'Masonic' per se. There are occasional mutterings to extend membership of the Shrine beyond just Masons.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helios Barca
The Shriners however have no such degrees and are a social/charity group that is made up of Masons, but is not 'Masonic' per se. There are occasional mutterings to extend membership of the Shrine beyond just Masons.

There is a "Degree" ceremony (Hot Sands) goes with the obligation ceremony (Cold Sands). It varies from Temple to Temple and has been tamed quite a bit, but a Degree none the less. There are also side "Degrees" such as the "Hillbilly Degree."

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

There is a "Degree" ceremony (Hot Sands) goes with the obligation ceremony (Cold Sands). It varies from Temple to Temple and has been tamed quite a bit, but a Degree none the less. There are also side "Degrees" such as the "Hillbilly Degree."

lol, one cannot go wrong in becoming a Master Hillbilly. Also, Mirthful, there's a question I'd like to ask:

Are you a Turtle?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
lol, one cannot go wrong in becoming a Master Hillbilly. Also, Mirthful, there's a question I'd like to ask:

Are you a Turtle?

No, I'm not... I 'm too busy pursuing Shakespearian theatrics.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

No, I'm not... I 'm too busy pursuing Shakespearian theatrics.

Act with care then, my Brother. I hear those jesters have some really ugly leading ladies.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   

If you join the Scottish Rite, you go through the degrees. Its part of joining. Same goes for the York rite. So yes there is a requirement to take the additional degrees if you join either body.

But as I understand it there is no requirement to join either body right? you can if you
so choose stop with just Blue Lodge?

top topics

join