It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something in Cave Creek, Arizona?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
My dad has a site that he uses to look up information on the land owned in town, I'll see if he knows of a site similar, or maybe that same site will have different sections for your area. It might be a couple of days before I can get it from him.
As for closing of recreational areas, it happens around here in Florida, not terribly often, but occasionaly.
On Black Waterriver there's a real nice spot for picknicks, camping, and the like that they eventually closed of to easy access because of all the mess people made. They closed off the main road leading in, and now you either have to four wheel, dirt bike, or walk the little over half mile walk (which has been cut up by some tributaries that have opened up since the park was closed, you cross them by walking over the drain controllers) to get to the main park. The shore is free to camp on, but there are no tresspassing signs everywhere.
Another place was privately owned, and th efolks got tired of the mess people were making, closed it. It's pretty sad

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
i live in phx and been around that area before. i truly don't believe its anything and with all the recent building in cave creek i doubt it'd be a place of 'secret' govt interest

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well folks I hate to ruin the fun... The area you are speaking of is called the Cave Buttes Dam area. The old concrete dam (Cave Creek Dam) is no longer functional. The majority of the land is owned by the Flood Control District of Maricopa County and the outlining land is BLM. Years ago the park was open to the public but because of funding Phoenix parks was not able to keep it open. I will tell you, Phoenix is trying to secure funding to revitalize and open the park once again to the public. Currently the only occupants are the model airplane club and a grazing lease for cattle. Once in a while you will see the Phoenix Fire or Police helicopter performing touch and goes and other sorts of training excersises. FYI - the area can be entered on foot, non motorized bike or horseback. Just no vehicles. You can hike there all you want. If you get far enough back you can find lots of interesting stuff, old mines and tons of wildlife. Its a long hike... take lots of water. Also, the Phoenix PD does actively patrol the area under contract with the County so make sure you follow the rules (no motorized vehicles) Hope this helps.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
That area, like a lot of the desert areas around Phoenix, has gone through a lot of ownership changes in the last few decades. Private, federal range, city parks, county flood control district, state trust. There's a couple of dams up there. When it rains the trails are prone to wash out, like a lot of areas in the desert.

It's filled with all the usual structures and evidence of past and present human intervention. Trash, fire rings, environmental sensors with RF transmitters, more trash, lots more trash. It's not particularly difficult to enter legally if you have a valid reason. OHV recreation is not a current valid reason.

There's a commercial quarry or two up in there. There's also a landfill and a golf course. There used to be some wildlife observation stations with cameras and movement detectors but they got vandalized repeatedly by the 4 wheelers. I think those stations are all out of service now. The hot air balloons fly over that area a lot and sometimes go down in the closed area. Their support vehicles simply drive in and get them, entering from Carefree Highway.

Any of the desert areas surrounding Phoenix may temporarily close by order of the state Fire Marshal. And a lot of the areas are patrolled by air by a joint project between cities/county/fed and private (power/water companies). That area in particular, besides by helo, is patroled by Sonoran Desert Preserve Stewards on horseback.

No spectacular secrets. Just the natural wonder of the desert, in the process of being destroyed by humans.

Lumpy

www.digitalcartography.com

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I accidentally GOOGLED across this site while trying to find a reasonable, economic method of keeping dirt bikers off our land. As an insurance person I can assure you that unless someone puts a gate/fence, no admittance/trespassing signs, etc. one exposes themselves to legal liability. Everyone sues everyone in the U.S. thus to protect either the BLM, county, private party, etc. a sign and/or gate is necessary. Also, land and road destruction is a big issue as well as dumping of debris. I can assure you this is no X-File episode.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It could be the fence was put up to stop people from poking around old mines that are decrepit and very dangerous.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker

My friend and I, just last night, had the opportunity to venture into the closed area known as St. Buttes Dam. We had heard from another close friend that there had been some stange things happening at that site. One story goes that there were a group of four teenagers that had parked by the dam, however the teens were never found. Apparently there was evidence of large claw marks along the dam walls as well as blood, but no bodies. Did i ever think this was a tall tail.

Intreeged and darring, i convinced my close buddy to tresspass into the area with me. As we approched, i have to tell you, i began to feel a presence. We made it past the first gate to realise a second gate with a sign saying something to the note of "No Tresspassing, Must Comply with PM-10 Air Regulations," as well as a no tresspassing, up to $1000 fine and possible 6 month imprisonment. Sure, to keep Bikers out... ofcorse that only filled the thrill for us and we ventured further past the second gate. About maybe 200 yards in we both heard a rock, not three feet to the right of us, smack the ground. A small pebble maybe. 3 - 5 seconds there after, yet another rock thrown sound, just to the right of the road we were on. This was destinctfully not wildlife noise. Freaked, we began to leave, still hearing possible russtling in the bushes to the north, not to mension a feeling pounding our chest to leave the area. By the the time we arrived to the main gate we heard, yet agian, a large rock bounce and hit the road maybe ten feet from us. This was unmistakenably A rock, nothing else. We than grabbed my bike, he jumpped on the peggs and left for his house which was only a couple miles down the road.

I had a flashlight with me at the time, and there were absolutely no visable human beings in the vacinity. I am convinced there is something in that area, yet, still unsure what. I promise you. I tell the entire truth.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by becauseivebeenthere

My friend and I, just last night, had the opportunity to venture into the closed area known as St. Buttes Dam. We had heard from another close friend that there had been some stange things happening at that site. One story goes that there were a group of four teenagers that had parked by the dam, however the teens were never found. Apparently there was evidence of large claw marks along the dam walls as well as blood, but no bodies. Did i ever think this was a tall tail.

Intreeged and darring, i convinced my close buddy to tresspass into the area with me. As we approched, i have to tell you, i began to feel a presence. We made it past the first gate to realise a second gate with a sign saying something to the note of "No Tresspassing, Must Comply with PM-10 Air Regulations," as well as a no tresspassing, up to $1000 fine and possible 6 month imprisonment. Sure, to keep Bikers out... ofcorse that only filled the thrill for us and we ventured further past the second gate. About maybe 200 yards in we both heard a rock, not three feet to the right of us, smack the ground. A small pebble maybe. 3 - 5 seconds there after, yet another rock thrown sound, just to the right of the road we were on. This was destinctfully not wildlife noise. Freaked, we began to leave, still hearing possible russtling in the bushes to the north, not to mension a feeling pounding our chest to leave the area. By the the time we arrived to the main gate we heard, yet agian, a large rock bounce and hit the road maybe ten feet from us. This was unmistakenably A rock, nothing else. We than grabbed my bike, he jumpped on the peggs and left for his house which was only a couple miles down the road.

I had a flashlight with me at the time, and there were absolutely no visable human beings in the vacinity. I am convinced there is something in that area, yet, still unsure what. I promise you. I tell the entire truth.

PM10 regs are "particulate matter" regulations that are enforced by the EPA on some selected rural locations. They are posted all over Mono Basin in CA, for instance.

My guess is that the rocks were from someone trying to mess with you. It was probably three guys eating Jack's Links jerky.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by RKWWWW]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by RKWWWW

Originally posted by becauseivebeenthere

PM10 regs are "particulate matter" regulations that are enforced by the EPA on some selected rural locations. They are posted all over Mono Basin in CA, for instance.

My guess is that the rocks were from someone trying to mess with you. It was probably three guys eating Jack Links jerky.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Hope this thread hasnt gone cold! I'm going to go bikeing around this area soon (Nonmotorised, just regular old bike) And besides the big scary no trespassing signs, is it likeley that I might get stoped or arrested when I'm out here? If I'm stoped, I assume I'd just attempt to say that I thought this was a recreation area, or I got lost. Good enough Alibbi?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join