It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ah, some nice Russian army pictures

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Some info on the new black eagle battle tank

en.wikipedia.org...

The Black Eagle tank (Russian: Чёрный Орёл, Chorniy Oryol) is a prototype main battle tank, that could be developed for export in the Russian Federation. Early mock-ups have been demonstrated at the second VTTV-Omsk-97 and other commercial arms exhibitions, but few details of the tank are known. There is still speculation whether the Black Eagle is for export or if it will be fielded with the Russian Army. Some rumours persist that this may be a South Korean project, as the 152mm gun that is thought to be next generation Russian weaponry is not being outfitted on this model.

The Black Eagle or "Object 640" which is its factory designation is a completely new project but appears to be based on a lengthened T-80 hull, with an extra pair of road wheels. It has very heavy front armour, and a very large turret, incorporating a blow-out armoured ammunition compartment for crew safety, like the U.S. M1 Abrams tank. The prototype has a 125mm tank gun, but it has been stated that the final version will have a new 135mm, 140mm or maybe even 152mm gun [1]. If so, this would give the Black Eagle design a substantially larger-calibre gun than other modern main battle tanks, which have 120mm or 125mm calibre guns.

Covered with multi-layered explosive reactive armour, its frontal armour is said to be equivalent to 1000 mm of steel against a shaped charge projectile, making it one of the most heavily protected tanks in the world. The engine will be no less than a GTD-1400 (at least 1400 hp).

Recent information seems to suggest that the Black Eagle program has been halted due to the acceptance of the T-90 into the Russian military. This is also compounded by the fact the company responsible for the Black Eagle's design, Omsk Transmash bureau, has been in a state of bankruptcy since 2002.

[edit on 6-6-2006 by Marto_Bagg]

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Go black eagle! Go black eagle!

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Excellent!!!!!!! Anyone that has anything to add, add!!! Thanks brothaz

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Geez! Looks like you have a veritable arsenal there.

Well, if not in real life, at least in pictures.

Run for cover! The Russian Army is approaching!

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
That soldier looks pretty crazy, but their weapons looks a tad bit outdated...maybe it's just that ugly green color.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Poison
That soldier looks pretty crazy, but their weapons looks a tad bit outdated...maybe it's just that ugly green color.

No, it's not just the color. Russia's military and equipment are in very bad, if not completely laughable shape.

I think the focus here is not that the equipment is actually of quality, but that it's so different to Western eyes from what we consider as the norm.

Take into account that about 50 percent of all Russian military helicopters are out of date. Russia doesn't even have the money to pull out of nearby former territories. The hard evidence of the Chechen War should make Russian military weakness in the conventional field obvious to everyone - it's no secret that they suffer from poor training and lack of basic military skills.

The only real military might that Russia ever had were A: Numbers, B: Natural Resources, and C: Nuclear weapons. Even before the USSR collapsed, A and C were on the decline. I can remember training with some actual Russian soldiers in spring of 2000 in Grafenwöhr, Germany, and they had told us about how horribly bad their conditions were - almost no pay (sometimes none at all for months), that they all had been issued used boots and uniforms that were many years old, that their weapons and equipment were often rusty and non functional... it's in a way amusing when those of us who grew up in the cold war think about how frightening it was to live in fear of the Soviet Union.

Those days are long, long gone now.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marto_Bagg
Man that MIG looks fearless how would it fair put against a F-15 or raptor?

Like this...

Mic

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Ah, dissing, dissing, dissing. Russia has the greatest military!!! The weapons are incredible, just check out the AN-94 Abakan or the SV-98 rifle. Times change, my friends and Russia is improving. Going for Russia all the way till death!!! Bravo Russia! Bravo Russia! Russia will cream all countries

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
Ah, dissing, dissing, dissing. Russia has the greatest military!!! The weapons are incredible, just check out the AN-94 Abakan or the SV-98 rifle. Times change, my friends and Russia is improving. Going for Russia all the way till death!!! Bravo Russia! Bravo Russia! Russia will cream all countries

The AN-94 Abakan?

It's not that great

isn't simple at all in assembling, disassembling, and maintenance. Furthermore has lower reliability in unpleasant conditions and need accurate care. It is expensive to train solider to use the "Abakan", it takes long and it's maintenance itself is expensive comparing with the AK-74. The rifle has quiet bad ergonomics while the pistol handle and inclined in a vertical plane magazine are uncomfortable to use.

The SV-98 rifle?

Apparently is also not as great as it's forerunner

On the negative side, the action was slow and stiff. If all you have is a bolt gun, you want a damn fast one. Damn fast the SV-98 is not. I spoke witho two Russian snipers who had deployed in combat with the SV-98, and both preferred the SVD to it for this very reason.

It's fine to be a fan of something, but it's really best to have some hands-on knowledge of it first - and some sources to back it up. Russia has, in all accounts, a military that is barely able to hold it's own against third-world nations, an economy that keeps getting worse, and a total lack of adequate humanitarian action on it's own soil. The World Bank estimates that a 15-year-old boy in Russia has a 40-per-cent chance of dying before his 60th birthday, which is double the odds in Turkey and four times the chances in Britain. f these trends persist, Russia could lose a third of its population in the next half-century.

For 90% of Russians poverty is a living standard just a little lower than their own.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Ah, dissing, dissing, dissing.

Yes I am...

Russia will cream all countries

And this isnt dissing?

I agree Russia is a vastly improving nation in the world...but they would come nowhere near to 'creaming' several countries!
Russia was once up there with the Americans, now they are quickly falling behind and are losing their name as the worlds second superpower to the likes of China!

Russian weapons are getting older by the day and without a stable economy will never be able to replace them on the scale needed!

I am not posting this to 'diss' Russia...I have far better things to do,
BUT...you say people diss your homeland...When you have made it quite clear that in your opinion Russia is the greatest, no-one can defeat oh mighty Russia!

We have our opinions aswell as you have yours...
And my opinion is that Russia is not the greatest nation and is in fact far from it...

Mic
:bnghd:

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
First of all, this started as a simple thread about Russian weapons. You chose to start dissing Russia, so I finished it. If you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have said Russia is the greatest. Anyway, Russia is slowly growing back to its original size, little by little. The people may be poor, but the military is a force to be reckoned with. If you think Russia is as weak as or weaker then any third world country
then I feel sorry for you
. Be as ignorant as you want, but I'll tell you as a Russian, we will never lose to any country that attacks us and never have. Anyway, your stuff about Abakan and SV-98 not being perfect is bs. Why? Cuz no weapon is perfect. The American, German, and British guns all have their own faults. BS. BS. BS.:shk:

In a number of years, we will see which nation will dominate.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bripe Klmun

Originally posted by Poison

No, it's not just the color. Russia's military and equipment are in very bad, if not completely laughable shape.

I think the focus here is not that the equipment is actually of quality, but that it's so different to Western eyes from what we consider as the norm.

Take into account that about 50 percent of all Russian military helicopters are out of date. Russia doesn't even have the money to pull out of nearby former territories. The hard evidence of the Chechen War should make Russian military weakness in the conventional field obvious to everyone - it's no secret that they suffer from poor training and lack of basic military skills.

The only real military might that Russia ever had were A: Numbers, B: Natural Resources, and C: Nuclear weapons. Even before the USSR collapsed, A and C were on the decline. I can remember training with some actual Russian soldiers in spring of 2000 in Grafenwöhr, Germany, and they had told us about how horribly bad their conditions were - almost no pay (sometimes none at all for months), that they all had been issued used boots and uniforms that were many years old, that their weapons and equipment were often rusty and non functional... it's in a way amusing when those of us who grew up in the cold war think about how frightening it was to live in fear of the Soviet Union.

Those days are long, long gone now.

The Russian Spetsnaz are the best trained and equiped in the world
Russia has incredible weapons, but you can ignore this statement and keep thinking US and whatever other countries are the best. Russia is replacing old weapons with new, and all the cool toys Russia had during the cold war hasn't disappeared

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
AND Russia is hard at work making even more new, cool toys

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If Russia has sucha sucky military, then what country's weapons are in the the pics Russain Soldier posted

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Yeah, Marto Bagg, that's right. If I'm correct Russia has every one of those weapons that I posted pics of. Those weapons don't look outdated to me

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

First of all, this started as a simple thread about Russian weapons. You chose to start dissing Russia, so I finished it.

No...not dissing...poking fun!

If you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have said Russia is the greatest.

You dont have to...because they arent!
I had no intention of calling Russia...Russia is your homeland and i respect that, just like I am English and would give my life for my country...But i dont go around telling the world that Britain could destroy the world because I know they cant!

If you think Russia is as weak as or weaker then any third world country

I hope your not refering to China here...Because believe me...China is far from a 3rd world country!

We will never lose to any country that attacks us and never have.

Russia underestimated Afghanistan just like you are underestimating the rest of the world...And look what happened there!

The American, German, and British guns all have their own faults.

Indeed they do...but we all know that!

Yes...The Aliens...

Look mate...I didnt post on this thread to call your country...I posted some harmless fun...which to most people is what BTS is all about!
I respect that you are Russian and love your country...Just like I love mine...But I dont make out like England is the greatest country on Earth when I know otherwise!

Mic

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee

First of all, this started as a simple thread about Russian weapons. You chose to start dissing Russia, so I finished it.

No...not dissing...poking fun!

If you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have said Russia is the greatest.

You dont have to...because they arent!
I had no intention of calling Russia...Russia is your homeland and i respect that, just like I am English and would give my life for my country...But i dont go around telling the world that Britain could destroy the world because I know they cant!

If you think Russia is as weak as or weaker then any third world country

I hope your not refering to China here...Because believe me...China is far from a 3rd world country!

We will never lose to any country that attacks us and never have.

Russia underestimated Afghanistan just like you are underestimating the rest of the world...And look what happened there!

The American, German, and British guns all have their own faults.

Indeed they do...but we all know that!

Yes...The Aliens...

Look mate...I didnt post on this thread to call your country...I posted some harmless fun...which to most people is what BTS is all about!
I respect that you are Russian and love your country...Just like I love mine...But I dont make out like England is the greatest country on Earth when I know otherwise!

Mic

*yawn* first of all I DO believe Russia is the greatest country. No, China isn't a third world country, but that doesn't mean it can beat Russia. Huh, Russia underestimated Afghanistan? Well THEY were attacking Afghanistan. Russia never lost when defending their homeland. Oh, by the way, it was because those good doing Americans supplied the Mujadeen with Stingers and trained good old Osama Bin Laden
. We could discuss the goods and bads of countries, which country is the best, etc. But just to tell you I believe in Russia and know that it is greatly underestimated. Have you been there? Have you seen the military through your own eyes? I have a proud Russian military history in my family like my father and grandfather, and so on. My family has told me alot about Russia's army, and I too study it EXTENSIVLEY, as it is one of my only interests. Soon I will be in the Russian army, but that's a different topic. Anyway I understand harmless fun, but you seem to be trying to make some kind of debate, so I'm debating back

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join