It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial black holes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
My friend saw a science program on the tv which said, that researchers in a Finnish laboratory in Otaniemi are trying to create (and are quite close, according to the program) an artificial black hole.

Has anyone tried to do this before, or is this a totally new thing? And what kind of purposes would this serve, other than improving the knowledge about black holes?

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I've heard of a project, though I don't remember where. But anyway, a laboratory was trying to use electromagnets to create a very dense area, they theorized it would create a blackhole.

I sure hope they don't create a blackhole. Just imagine, one simple mistake and the black hole devours everything.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'd suspect, that the created black hole would be miniscule compared to those that exsist in space.

Still, I'd like to see what happens when you shove a pencil in a black hole with a 10 cm diameter.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paradigm

what happens when you shove a pencil in a black hole with a 10 cm diameter.

*trying to keep his mouth shut*

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

*trying to keep his mouth shut*

Originally posted by Paradigm

what happens when you shove a pencil in a black hole with a 10 cm diameter.

TheBandit: Keep it shut, I know what your thinking.

Paradigm: Most likely the pencil would be sucked up to wherever black holes lead to. According to Steven Hawking, black holes are destroyed when they dissolve by releasing an atom every 1 thousand years or so.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 08:27 PM
link   

But seriously. Who in their right mind will want to create a blackhole? A blackhole the size of a grain of sand will probably have an event horizon of more than a few miles in diameter (probably more). Let alone on 10 cm in diameter. It'll suck the whole planet up. I once saw on discovery channel that they think the black hole at the center of the milky way is only the size of a basketball.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 09:29 PM
link   
A black hole is only as powerful as the mass that created it. There is no mystery there. If they are indeed using electromagnetic energy, they are taking advantage of the mass/energy equivalence. As soon as they turn it off, away goes the black hole.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 09:43 PM
link   
what if it doesn't just "go away" ??? What if the black hole starts sucking thing's up and grow's more and more? Bub bye home and solar system ... All because a few scientists wanted to make a name for themselve's? yay?

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
They've already created a black-hole, and they've destroyed it too because it started sucking things up around it pretty fast...der.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 01:21 AM
link   
There is a difference here.

there are gravitational black holes, they suck in everything around it.

Then there are optical black holes. They suck in light.

In other words, there is nothing to be afraid of...

Read these

www.aip.org...

www.space.com...

[Edited on 20-10-2003 by Thatoneguy]

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
They've already created a black-hole, and they've destroyed it too because it started sucking things up around it pretty fast...der.

Huh?! link please ???

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Balck holes "grow" by assimilating matter.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Remeber what stephen hawking says about black hole entropy.
These black holes are so small they lose thier entopy in a few micro seconds therefore dissapear.

Black holes like these have been created for years in particle accelerators.

Nothing to worry about.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   
ermmm ... we dun kno for a fact that we've created black holes. And what if hawkings is wrong? Should we just *pray* that one doesn't kill us all? I dun think this is something we should be messing with inside our own galaxy for gawd sake ...

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Oh god this is bad physics.
Ok, you wanna see an artificial black hole?
rent a ron jeremy video.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by e-nonymous
ermmm ... we dun kno for a fact that we've created black holes. And what if hawkings is wrong? Should we just *pray* that one doesn't kill us all? I dun think this is something we should be messing with inside our own galaxy for gawd sake ...

Theya re a fact, they have been created, they have been destroyed, If you want facts go find them, coz i really cant be bothered at this early hour. Go look for yourself. Google it.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

When you make a statement like that it would be nice if you provided some source to back it up... ie. Link?

top topics

join