It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen must tell dates' parents of sex rap.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
TRENTON, New Jersey (AP) -- An appeals court has ordered a teenage sex offender to warn the parents of anyone he dates about his conviction until he turns 18.

Megan's Law establishes a registration and notification system for sex offenders. The law is named for 7-year-old Megan Kanka, a New Jersey girl who was raped and killed in 1994 by a twice-convicted sex offender.

As a condition of probation, the judge in the case mandated the boy to notify the parents of anyone he dates about his conviction until he is no longer a juvenile.

Several lawyers questioned how probation officers could enforce the restriction, because by doing so, they would have to define "dating."

www.cnn.com...

Wow, could you imagine your daughter's ( or son's ) date telling you that he / she is a convicted sex offender? Do you think you'd still let them go out?

[edit on 17-5-2006 by asala]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
depends. i'd have to ask what he/she did first to make them a sex offender.
there are cases where i think the sex offender label just doesn't fit.
for example, an 18 yr old dating a 16yr old, where both parties consent to sex. or cases where parents photograph their children in the tub. i know such cases are rare, but i'd still rather have the details of their crime to determine if, in my opinion, the sex offender label fits.
edi: as for the guy in this article, i'd be more worried about him being around any younger kids, than someone his, or around his, age.

[edit on 17-5-2006 by karby]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Wow, could you imagine your daughter's ( or son's ) date telling you that he / she is a convicted sex offender? Do you think you'd still let them go out?

after being beaten unconscious...I doubt he will be up for the date

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Sounds like a good law. I don't have children but I would want to know if the guy my daughter was about to date was an underage sex offender. Most smart parents want to know the caliber of their children's dates and friends. I think I would have to send my daughter to counseling anyway if she decided to date a teenage boy who preformed a sex act with his 6-year-old half sister. Lets hope most girls will be smart enough to stay clear of this guy. I don’t even know if I buy the part where lawyers can’t define dating. Everyone with 2 brain cells knows what dating is - the lawyers just want to try to make it confusing. I guess if there is any question about what equals a date then this guy better tell every girl’s parent that he is a sex offender until he is 18 and there will not be a problem. And to answer the question from the OP, if I had a daughter and she asked to date a sexual offender the answer would be no. I really hope that I can raise a better daughter in the first place.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by karby

Really? I'd just kick his teeth in.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by karby

Really? I'd just kick his teeth in.

in normal cases, yes

but i have a habit of being nosey, and when it comes to my kids(or in my case my kid brother), i'm gonna be as nosey as i can get.

new topics

top topics

join