It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Jazeera: Opinions anyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 05:06 PM
link   
There seems to be mixed feelings regarding Al-Jazeera and i'd like to hear what others think, while its refreshing to have some free press in the middle east its obviously biased towards its own kind, but can we really complain when we have the likes of the FoxNews Channel spouting propaganda at the same speed and tenacity that Al-Jazeera does.

Opinions?

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I can't fathom what it is to have "free press in the Middle East obviously biased towards its own kind". There are so many kinds in the Middle East, like most regions of the world.

But I have mixed feelings towards Al Jazeera myself, as with most media. There are good writers and bad writers, good editors and bad editors, good producers and bad producers.

I haven't included AJ in any conspiracy theory or considered it may be American intelligence owned or influenced.

They are just a successful network covering local material in an increasingly sophisticated and western-influenced way.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Of course they are biased towards they're own kind. Just like the press in the US is biased. If the press were doing they're Goddamm job Bush would have never gotten elected let alone get us in the mess we are in now.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Fox were the ones that caused Bush to win actually, they were the first major network to announce bush got florida, so then all the networks jumped on top of it so they wouldnt be last in reporting.

Stupid FNC.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   
1. I still don't understand what "kind" Al Jazeera could belong to.... ?

2. The early announcements on Election 2000, mistaken as they were, did not have as much impact as the criminality of Katherine Harris or the intervention of the Supreme Court. Why do you think public sentiment arising out of news coverage on the night of the Election was significant? Or have I missed something that you are referencing, from later incidents?

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 05:22 PM
link   
1. Muslim.
2. True, but they did cause one hell of a confusion.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 05:26 PM
link   
i think they mean Arab when they mention "kind" MA...

and i dont see the Bush/Al-Jazeera connection,so i won't comment on that

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Well creepy, you interpreted "Arab" but Nerdling meant "Muslim". The concepts are poles apart. I understand the gist, but I tend not to speak in "kinds".

Imagine if every American had to live being painted with the same brush as 'president' George W Bush, being of his "kind".

Here's an interesting story about the blackout of Al Jazeera from covering the activities of the provisional authority in Iraq... it directly addresses the issue of bias:

edition.cnn.com...

And this is a good little blurb, promoting the network:

Al Jazeera is the most popular Arabic News Channel in the Middle East offering news coverage 24 hours a day from around the world with focus on the hottest regions of conflict. Programming also includes a wide selection of political talk shows and documentaries with uncensored debates and free arguments covering events as they happen.

Founded in 1996, and based in Qatar, the Al Jazeera news network is the fastest growing network among Arab communities and Arabic speaking people around the world. With programming focusing primarily on news coverage and analysis, the station has earned the respect and loyalty of its audience that keeps coming back for intelligent and objective content.

AlJazeera's programs are available worldwide through various satellite and cable systems. In the US, it is available through satellite.

Programs in Al Jazeera are devoted to various topics of relevance to its audience. While political programs tend to be the most popular, other shows covering news about Business, Culture, Sports, Health also get their share of a growing audience. Interactive programming that involve audience participation are also highly popular since they are considered ground breaking in that region of the world.

Al Jazeera's viewers tend to be well educated, multilingual and affluent. They are more likely to be homeowners, frequent travelers, decision makers, sophisticated, and with disposable income.

Due to recent development in that region, the audience of Al Jazeera has grown phenomenally. We can help you reach that lucrative audience with the right message. Contact us today to discuss how Al Jazeera can add value to your marketing plans.

Programming also includes a wide selection of political talk shows and documentaries with uncensored debates and free arguments covering events as they happen such as Alitijah Al mouakes. Al Jazeera has the most viewers during prime time.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have watched it, due to my complete lack of arabic skills i looked at the pretty pictures, and even those are blatantly anti-western.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Al Jazeera is the most popular Arabic News Channel in the Middle East

Al-Jazeera considers itself to be the Arabic "kind"...but i understand the point your trying to make...i think

[Edited on 19-10-2003 by Creepy]

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 06:13 PM
link   
And, Creepy, in labelling AJ as an "Arabic" network you may be much closer to the truth than the "Muslim" network assumption. At least the language background describes a commonality between proprietorship and audience.

On the other side of the coin, I guess I must be anti-western, too. I never went in for the western side of country and western that much, although I do have a nice cowboy hat. And the western movie genre never did it much for me either, too often I would barrack for the Indians.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   

And, Creepy, in labelling AJ as an "Arabic" network you may be much closer to the truth than the "Muslim" network assumption.

it is the truth....

its difficult to describe anything accurately without using some sort of adjective...choosing the correct one is the key

i have never watched AJ...so i cant comment on any bias they may have,but im sure some sort of bias exists....just like every news channel in existence

[Edited on 19-10-2003 by Creepy]

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
OK, there must be two kinds.

The biased and the unbiased.

I lean towards the unbiased.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Biased towards the unbiased, now theres an oxymoron if i've ever heard one

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It was meant to be irony, but oxymoron will do fine.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   
[Edited on 21-10-2003 by Creepy]

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Creepy

Sorry, I was not meaning to be vague. "Kinds" has had a specific connotation in this thread.

It reflects back to the "kinds" of people and bias "towards their own kind".

Not "kinds" of media but "kinds" of people - biased and unbiased.

In my circularity and wielding my oxy-acetalyne torch to any morons who were reading (all current posters on this thread excepted) I was highlighting that bias-free media are unlikely to exist.

The more they highlight "Truth" or "News" in their title, the more biased they are likely to be.

I tend to find the least biased reporting is about local issues, when the agenda is about community and not politics.

What constitutes bias?

* what gets reported
* what doesn't get reported
* what facts in those stories get reported and don't get reported
* how things are presented
* who is quoted as an authority
* what conclusions are drawn
* what space is offered to the story

and dozens of other things...

Read the link about what Al Jazeera are saying. I accept that they plug a hole in what gets reported, which is at least a counterbalance to the media they are critical of.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Fox were the ones that caused Bush to win actually, they were the first major network to announce bush got florida, so then all the networks jumped on top of it so they wouldnt be last in reporting.

Stupid FNC.

How did the media make bush win the election?

As for al-jazeera it is more objective then i expected from the network, but like others it is biased. As long as they don't glorify death and destruction it' o.k. for me.

top topics

join