It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name of F-35 to be released within weeks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
My choice would be the Edsel.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Why not......Airazor(Air Force) and Seazor (Navy)

Or Gerfalcon

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I like planemands name "whirlwind" that he used for the ATS-1 concept... I would have loved it to win... The name has the ocaen in it... so beautiful...

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

you have a singular wit then.

As do you, very singular apparently.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
well they say the f-22 (raptor) is the f-35's 'cousin'.

so i would think there is a good chance the jsf could be called something along the dinosaur lines too:-

but what??

'f-35 tyrannosaurus rex' doesn't sound all that good

personally, id just stick with 'joint strike fighter' though.

[edit on 22-5-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by st3ve_o
well they say the f-22 (raptor) is the f-35's 'cousin'.

so i would think there is a good chance the jsf could be called something along the dinosaur lines too:-

but what??

'f-35 tyrannosaurus rex' doesn't sound all that good

personally, id just stick with 'joint strike fighter' though.

[edit on 22-5-2006 by st3ve_o]

I still think something in the line of phoenix is better...

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
you do know that a Phoenix is usually engulfed in flames don't you?

A fighter should have a short snappy name, I still think 'Venom' is best but I also like the suggestion 'Fury', especially as it has a good heritage in both US and British fighter aircraft.

I also think 'Spectre' would be good as an allusion to its stealthiness, as would Phantom III, but I don't think so on that last one

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
F-35 should be called Thunder Dragon!

Maybe firedrake?
Or Lightning II

[edit on 3-6-2006 by emile]

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
you do know that a Phoenix is usually engulfed in flames don't you?

A fighter should have a short snappy name, I still think 'Venom' is best but I also like the suggestion 'Fury', especially as it has a good heritage in both US and British fighter aircraft.

I also think 'Spectre' would be good as an allusion to its stealthiness, as would Phantom III, but I don't think so on that last one

Yes...

Spectre is already in use with the gunship right... so it can't be chosen... short names are good... venom doesn't really refer to anything and it's a bit corny...

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I don't see where it is corny? It also refers to visciousness and anger, a bit like Fury, in the context of a plane name. It is also a noun for snake bite poison. I'd say that was quite specific

Heard a rumour that the USMC suggested 'Spitfire'. I sincerely hope that isn't true.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It was the poison I was referring too... I'am tired of that name... maybe I've watched too many movies with that name... besides... the name has to symbolize freedom as falcon or eagle... (eagle--->bird--->freedom)

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Do you mean fictional planes? I was thinking along different lines in that there is only one previous fighter with that name that reached service as far as I can recall, the DH Venom.

Demon is anothe name I like, used in the US in the 1950's and the UK in the 1930's it might fit.

When you say the name must symbolise freedom, is that the official line or your own thoughts?

In my personal opinion whenever I see the word 'freedom' now it reminds me of Bush/Blair pro war brainwashing. I know it shouldn't and now I hate them for putting that association in my mind. It gives me the same awful feeling as that 'war on terror' nonsense. Some of us have been fighting terrorism for decades but when it affects the USA its suddenly a war and they are telling everyone else what to do, AND attacking the wrong targets. grrrrr. But I digress.

I'd just like a name that symbolises something fearsome and proficient in combat, however far from the truth it may be in reality

The best of both worlds would be if the DoD saw the good sense of calling it Tempest

[edit on 3-6-2006 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Warthawk- Its what the plane is, A crappy cross between the 2... Just my oppinion

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
It's gonna be called...............

TURKEY!

A Damn great Wild useless turkey....... or maybe...........

WHITE ELEPHANT!.......

Get rid of this piece of c### and get a whole fleet of Gripens and typhoons. Sod the US and its games over what can and cannot be done or used with / around the f-35, and have three times as many aircraft for the same money.

It not that expenisve of an aircraft and much more surviveable. Do you really wanna get shot down by an S400. Didn't think so.
F35 Velociraptor. It's the Raptor cousin so............

[edit on 3-6-2006 by urmomma158]

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
hmmm.... ultraraptor...no... to ultra... ya know... Falcon II

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Hmm... since Rodan is taken by the F-15, how about Mothra?

Or they could have some fun and could really piss off the political correct by calling it something like the "Seraphim", or the "Angry Jebus".

Although I agree in reality it needs to be something short, fearsome, and something that you know will kick your ass in a dogfight. Which means it has to be one word...

Venom, Phoenix are good suggestions. Personally I like Fury, seeing as the F-35 is supposed to be short and brutal on airstrikes. We've got the B-2 Spirit and the Spectre gunships so a ghostly sounding name wouldn't be bad, such as "Wraith" or "Ghost".

And now for my final two suggestions;

"TIE Interceptor" and "Juggernaut BITCH!".

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
F-35--->
3 = c
5 = e

...so F-35 CENTAUR

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Do you mean fictional planes? I was thinking along different lines in that there is only one previous fighter with that name that reached service as far as I can recall, the DH Venom.

Demon is anothe name I like, used in the US in the 1950's and the UK in the 1930's it might fit.

When you say the name must symbolise freedom, is that the official line or your own thoughts?

In my personal opinion whenever I see the word 'freedom' now it reminds me of Bush/Blair pro war brainwashing. I know it shouldn't and now I hate them for putting that association in my mind. It gives me the same awful feeling as that 'war on terror' nonsense. Some of us have been fighting terrorism for decades but when it affects the USA its suddenly a war and they are telling everyone else what to do, AND attacking the wrong targets. grrrrr. But I digress.

I'd just like a name that symbolises something fearsome and proficient in combat, however far from the truth it may be in reality

The best of both worlds would be if the DoD saw the good sense of calling it Tempest

[edit on 3-6-2006 by waynos]

I never said it has to symolize freedom... And I don't like bush either so we are on the same page there... but when i mean freedem I mean freedom in the air... like a bird... and there is no better name then that...
I like Tempest though...

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:17 AM
link   
As of late May, a list of potential names had been narrowed to six finalists, said Moseley’s spokesman, Maj. Glen Roberts.
They are: Black Mamba, Cyclone, Lightning II, Piasa, Reaper and Spitfire II.
While Moseley has the final say on naming the F-35, the general will consult with the Marine Corps and Navy service chiefs before making a decision, Roberts said.

www.defensenews.com...

Lightning II or Spitfire II

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

I would suggest it be called the Shadow then

Sky Shadow for the AF
Sea Shadow for the Navy
Storm Shadow for the Marines

better luck next time Army

I don't see that happening! To me, Shadow would sound more like a manned, stealth sucessor to the Blackbird Spy Plane, not a Fighter!

Maybe they can call it Cobra.

BTW: Sea Shadow is a Stealth Ship built by Lockheed Martin!

Tim

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join