It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU to make nuclear offer to Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   

News BBC

The European Union is drawing up new proposals to offer to Iran to get it to halt its nuclear programme.

The EU has not given details of the new offer to Iran being considered, but diplomats describe it as a mixture of "the carrot and the stick".

BBC world affairs correspondent Jonathan Charles says Iran will be encouraged to import the fuel it needs for its civil nuclear power stations, rather than producing its own.

"The EU would be prepared to support Iran's development of a safe, sustainable and proliferation-proof civilian nuclear programme if international concerns were fully addressed," says a draft EU statement obtained by Reuters news agency.

Interesting Tactics!

Trixie these EU guys are! First, make an Nuclear offer to Iran (which they already know he will refuse), and when he refuses it, say: "Damnit! We did our BEST!".

Win - Win scenario, for the EU ofcourse.

Todays NEWS:

Iran shuns EU 'reactor incentive'

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has dismissed a possible European offer of incentives to induce Iran to suspend its nuclear enrichment programme.

"They say they want to give us incentives! Do you think you are dealing with a four year old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?"

As Predicted...

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Why is it tricky?

Iran: We want nuclear energy for power, not weapons
EU: OK, we will give you a reactor that will provide that energy
Iran: Um….That reactor can only make non weapons grade uranium?
UE: That’s correct, just like you state that you want
Iran: YOU THINK I AM A CHILD? NO!

Yeah, Iran wants nukes for peace, right. How many ways must the world offer them the nuclear energy they state they want? Only to get denied each and every time.

How does one say “BOOM!” in Farsi? Oh, I think I already know: Allahu Akbar!

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
From the quoted source:

The EU would be prepared to support Iran's development of a safe, sustainable and proliferation-proof civilian nuclear programme if international concerns were fully addressed," says a draft EU statement obtained by Reuters news agency

How exactly can the offers being made to Iran be considered remotely ‘tricky'. Why would Iran not take the EU offers at least in the short term with an eye to the future?...Instead of the knee jerk, no...and move to more and more non-constructive rhetoric... The opportunity is now there to create a state-of-the-art program and gain international trust at the same time all while positively moving forward.

EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana said on Monday the European Union was ready to share the most sophisticated civilian nuclear technology with Iran if it agreed to halt uranium enrichment on its soil.

Ahmadinejad is behaving like a “four year old”.

mg

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by missed_gear

- Well you might think so.

Personally I think the day I see the USA, or the EU countries for that matter, give up and put their nuclear 'sovereignty' totally in the hands of another foreign nation (and not exactly even an allied nation(s) at that) is the day I might find this sort of comparison reasonable.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
have a look at this thread:Iran counter offer: economic incentives to OK nuke program

Apparently, iranians have come up with their own version of economic incentives offer: their 70 million population market for recognition of nuke program.

if the offer is not tricky, let's see if europe will accept the deal.

KEEP IT REAL

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Originally posted by missed_gear

- Well you might think so.

Personally I think the day I see the USA, or the EU countries for that matter, give up and put their nuclear 'sovereignty' totally in the hands of another foreign nation (and not exactly even an allied nation(s) at that) is the day I might find this sort of comparison reasonable.

are you insane?! the freedom you have and cherish so much is simply for the reason the USA and EU does not do this.

:shk: fools!

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
are you insane?!

- Not at all (I think/hope
).

I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy of seriously expecting Iran to do the very things that neither the US nor those EU countries would think about doing themselves for one moment.

the freedom you have and cherish so much is simply for the reason the USA and EU does not do this.

- Exactly, we call it "freedom" to be in control of our own destiny as much as possible and yet when it comes to Iran and her nuclear program (despite their 'rights' under the various treaties) we call it a 'threat' (despite a severe lack of any credible evidence of a nuclear weapons program, much less any actual nuclear weapons).

That's not exactly consistent IMO.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Well as you can see, the Big 3 from EU are a little more cunning then Bush&Co, who go all gunz blazing directly to the battlefield. They are using the good old "Sticks'n'Carrots" method, which will Wash their Hands Clean, so they can say later - Oh, we tried and we failed!.

And why would Iran even want to accept this offer, since they already have their own centrifuges working and I am sure they can get a "Cheaper" deal then this of the Big-Three.

It just PoliTRICKS ya know?

And Europeans are Master of that...

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
It just PoliTRICKS ya know?

I think we're seeing this across the board. It's just unfortunate that Iran seems to be putting it's "right" to enrich uranium on their soil before the prosperity of the country, they have the opportunity to stop Bush dead in his tracks, if indeed he is set on attacking Iran, by cooperating and showing they are not after nuclear weapons. They have the opportunity to win the favor of the world and isolate the Bush administration even more, while still gaining nuclear power for peaceful purposes. Instead they, and those on here who support them, continue to harp on the "principle" that they should be allowed to do whatever they please, which will only lead to more death and destruction and give Bush exactly what you say he wants, an excuse. And following this principle, there should be no restrictions anywhere as far as nuclear technology is concerned. Maybe if we can get some nukes into Africa, there will be peace finally, after all nuclear weapons equal peace, right?

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
are you insane?! the freedom you have and cherish so much is simply for the reason the USA and EU does not do this.

Understanding the history “of” and offering or bringing the world the NPT (NNPT) would give some insight, “freedom” or even the concept of ‘fair’ was never an issue, never will be…get over it.

mg

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Trixie these EU guys are! First, make an Nuclear offer to Iran (which they already know he will refuse), and when he refuses it, say: "Damnit! We did our BEST!".

For once, you may be onto something here, Souljah.
Then again, smells more like appeasement under the guise of 'diplomacy in action,' which the EU already spent two years previously attempting to talk and incentive Iran, resulting in the EU eventually being kicked to the curb.

At any rate, the IRONY of the situation is this:
Iran to offer incentives to Europe for recognizing nuclear right

TEHRAN, May 17 (Xinhua) -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said on Wednesday that Tehran was ready to offer economic incentives to the European Union for its recognition of Iran's right to nuclear energy. Enditem

ROFLMAO.
Iranians have some humor after all...

seekerof

[edit on 17-5-2006 by Seekerof]

FNF

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   
The EU are correct in what they are doing - peace through peaceful means. However, Iran want to blackmail the EU/world as much as possible first and get the very best deal. Simple really.

As for the NPT, well the big flaw is that those that can enforce it (ie US and EU) are the ones that abuse it most, because there's nobody to punish them.
In an ironic way, it would be poetic justice if Iran got nuclear weapons, just to punish the west.

Lastly, I would like to point out, if you were Iranian would you not do exactly the same thing?

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FNF
As for the NPT, well the big flaw is that those that can enforce it (ie US and EU) are the ones that abuse it most, because there's nobody to punish them.
In an ironic way, it would be poetic justice if Iran got nuclear weapons, just to punish the west.

Really?

No Russia, China, or Pakistan in that "big flaw" and "poetic justice" equation?

seekerof

[edit on 18-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
If I was Iranian I would find this EU offer offensive too.
Why on Earth would I buy western nuclear technology if I already have working Russian one. Having two technologies for one type of industry is maintenance nightmare.
Why on Earth would I buy enriched uranium from any other country when uranium is a natural resource that I have in abundance. What's next, importing Oil and Gas? Please! I'm not a four year old child.

But on the other hand some fancy politics from EU. Not crude cowboy diplomacy that we were watching lately. And IMO Iranians should react more moderately and wisely.

[edit on 18-5-2006 by yanchek]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by yanchek

working Russian one.

It's not the cheap USSR a la Chernobyl crap they're using, it's actually technology coming/stolen from Europe. And yes, I know Russia is currently constructing new reactors.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This is the ole bad cop/good cop routine.

The US plays the bad cop

The EU palys the good cop

Of cousre if Iran didn't want to built nukes, then why not accept a light water reactor? They're safer, and more technologiclly advanced.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2

The US plays the bad cop

Good Comparison!

And if I remember correctly, from my past Experiences with Cops, the Bad cop was always the Younger, more nervous one, and the Good cop, was always the older, Wiser one.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by yanchek
working Russian

Hey! Another oxymoron! There's been alot of those springing up around here lately. 'Working Russian' technology, that's great!

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2

The US plays the bad cop

Good Comparison!

And if I remember correctly, from my past Experiences with Cops, the Bad cop was always the Younger, more nervous one, and the Good cop, was always the older, Wiser one.

Lovely metaphors

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
Hey! Another oxymoron! There's been alot of those springing up around here lately. 'Working Russian' technology, that's great!

Oh, that american "We are so superior" tagline again. Space shuttles, anyone?
We can compare technologies all day long but at the end of the day I'll choose russian simple design and durability.
But this is not the purpose of this thread.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join