It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Currency Tracking???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   
with all the recent changes to our currency here in the u.s. has anybody questioned why so many new changes are taking place??? i mean for many years nothing changed then all of a sudden all of our bills have changed with the exception of the one dollar bill. i never really thought much more about this untill the other evening at work a co-worker said let me show you something, get a new twenty dollar bill out and hold it up to the lights. So i did and he said see that faint line about 2-3 millimeters wide and i did see it,then he said that a guy he knows has a process of removing these embedded strips from larger denominations because he says when large quantities of bills are put together NSA satellites can detect these stores of cash because of the embedded strips inside the money. i never heard of this before and wondered if anyone here has???

[edit on 17-5-2006 by the_sentinal]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Maybe your fiend heard about this article On Alex Jones’s site. It says the new $20 bill contains a RFID chip, but this has been shown not to be true.

One alleged urban legend circulating over the Internet users that $20 bills have a small RFID tracking chip implanted near Andrew Jackson's left eye. It claims that microwaving the bill for 3 minutes will cause the chip to explode and set the bill on fire

source: en.wikipedia.org...

Was he talking about something else?

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   
For what its worth, I have been told the strips are supposedly able to be detected, and a machine that can detect large quantities of them in proximity is supposed to help agents determine when large sums of cash are present in various situations. I have no evidence other than anecdotal, so I leave it up to the reader to cough bull# or think about it.

Does it seem improbably that the government would not have a device that could determine the number of strips nearby and would that aid in fighting counterfeiting and movement of large sums of cash across borders, etc? Sounds reasonable to me.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
so it would be tracked with metal detectors? Just like it would be able to detect any other metal. Or is there a unique signature?

Is there something possibly added to the strip to make it more easily picked-up by certain censors?

I also think that fighting counterfeiting itself makes this possible and probably even legal, makes sense.

I guess I'll have to dig up the backyard and put my hidden assets in thicker lead cases. ...

[edit on 17/5/06 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23

Was he talking about something else?

i believe so because if you take the twenty dollar bill and hold it up to the light youll see the faint strip, according to this guy if you wet the bill and take a pair of tweezers and gently separate the edge of the bill where the strip meets the edge of the bill you can pull the strip out, it runs the lenth of the bill from top to bottom

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23
Is there something possibly added to the strip to make it more easily picked-up by certain censors?
[edit on 17/5/06 by ConspiracyNut23]

yes according to what this guy said the more bills that are placed together the stronger the signal is to the equipment they use to pick it up....

apparently this guys friend has large amounts of cash in his house hidden, every bit of it with the tracking strips pulled out

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
its not a tracking sensor, but there is equipment that can detect when a large volume of cash is nearby, but its much like a metal detector you have to be pretty close to detect it. And yes it has to do with the metalic filament in the security strip inbedded in the larger bills, get enough of them together in one spot and the signal that is returned from the detector can be picked up, but not by satellite.

I think the detection radius is something like 5 to 10 feet only

Kind of why anyone with a large horde of cash should never keep all the bills in the same place, not only in the case of an accident like fire, water damage etc. But in the unforseen chance that you are involved in some sort of criminal acitivity you make your nest egg real easy to find.

Thats why you always see "misers" putting some cash here, some there, some everywhere and usually they end up misplacing thousands....

Just like your stocks and any other large cash volumes the smartest thing you can do is diversify your holdings which makes your financial security not dependant on only one vehicle.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
With all the millions they put into research and development, as well as the hassle and the tied-up working hours, the U.S. gov puts these things in so's it can track cash from 10 feet away? Hmm . . .

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The metal strips would be simply to discourage counterfeiting. (the paper itself is probably hard to get, I'd imagine)

This is just a side benefit that Sentinal is exploring.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Ahh, the security strip. We've had those in our money for a while.

Be paranoid about it all you want, but I would not advise trying to remove them from the bill. Do so, and run the risk of it becoming utterly worthless when an observant retailer refuses to accept it because it appears to be counterfeit.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I can verify that the strip can be manually removed. Saw it done a week ago today. Doesn't require tweezers or any special preparation, a small tear right on the edge of the bill and it will slide right out from between the layers.

Duzey,
It is not readily apparent that the strip is missing unless you're specifically looking for it. I just passed a twenty with no strip.

[edit on 17-5-2006 by MrPenny]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   
That's why I said an observant retailer.

It's one of the things they train people to look for when checking if a bill is real or not. If they notice it's missing, they are supposed to keep it and turn it over to the police for investigation, and you'll be out $20. You might get it back when they figure out it's real, you might not.

Sure, it might never happen to you; but if it does, please be nice to the person who has to confiscate it.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I read somewhere a while back that little strip has a 10k magnetic memory capacity but it's 3:00 am and I don't feel like digging, anybody else remember hearing about that? According to the FED they thought about doing it, but the rumor is that they already did, hence the little strip.
It's old news though...

Source
Cash and the 'Carry Tax'
WASHINGTON -- US currency should include tracking devices that let the government tax private possession of dollar bills, a Federal Reserve official says.

The longer you hold currency without depositing it in a bank account, the less that cash will be worth, according to a proposal from Marvin Goodfriend, a senior vice president at the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.

In other words, greenbacks will get automatic expiration dates.

"The magnetic strip could visibly record when a bill was last withdrawn from the banking system. A carry tax could be deducted from each bill upon deposit according to how long the bill was in circulation," Goodfriend wrote in a recent presentation to a Federal Reserve System conference in Woodstock, Vermont.

The 34-page paper argues a carry tax will discourage "hoarding" currency, deter black market and criminal activities, and boost economic stability during deflationary periods when interest rates hover near zero.

It says new technology finally makes such a scheme feasible. "Systems would have to be put in place at banks and automatic teller machines to read bills, assess the carry tax, and stamp the bills 'current,'" the report recommends.

Goodfriend said in an interview that banks might place a kind of visible "date issued" stamp on each note they distributed. "The thing could actually stamp the date when the bill comes out of the ATM," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Also some rumors about the Ink in the new currency having some magnetic properties?

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
A hobby of mine is numismatics...unfortunately not American only Australian,but early decimal australian paper money had a metallic strip either through the centre or on left side.This was to help against counterfeiting,as technology increased so did the likleyhood of counterfeitng hence the plastic note was introduced with a holographic watermark.To date no counterfeit notes have entered circulation.
I would assume though a large enough cache of cash with the embedded strip could be picked up by a metal detector,but if some form of magnetic memory was attached couldn't it be wiped the same way as a debit/credit card?
Maybe these changes are taking place to combat some perceived threat inundating the circulating currency with conterfeits.

new topics

top topics

join