It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

green comet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   
hey guys this was just on an australian news website, apparently a green comet flew threw the sky and landed in queensland out near the mountains

news.ninemsn.com.au...

whats everyone think??

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   
This story just appeared on local news stations here in Brisbane. A great number of people apparently saw a green fireball streak through the night sky. Witnesses described the object as large and green, with one witness remarking that it appeared similar to a firework. Whilst local astronomers initially labelled the object as a meteor, they have also suggested that it may be a piece of space junk. Specifically, it may be a fragment from a satellite which is breaking up in the atmosphere.

There are, from what I could tell, no reports of it crashing anywhere. It seems to have simply burned up in the atmosphere, according to witness statements I just saw on the news.

I have been unable to find them on the net, but the news showed a number of interesting photos witnesses took, mostly with mobile phone cameras.

The following reference is from a local news site which describes the incident and the possibility of it being space junk. There doesn't seem to be anything extraterrestrial in nature here, though. Seems to be a simple meteor.

The Australian

[edit on 17/5/06 by Jeremiah25]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I think I would have liked to have seen it.

The article is correct in saying that it was probably some man made space debris.
The green color is due to metals vaporizing. Much like Fireworks use metallic salts for coloring.

It could also have been a meteorite that contained metals. If it were a meteorite, it means you might not be far off in saying that it was a comet..Or more correctly, a piece of a comet. Or possibly an asteroid, as well.

The comet refrence in the article, was a description of how it looked, with a trailing tail.
Not that it actually was a comet..

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
maybe it's some smaller particles of Comet 73P/Schwassmann–Wachmann that no one saw before some people believe that it's possible that parts of that comet may hit the earth

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
The green colouring of the flame would suggest that it was mainly copper.

L3X

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
maybe it's some smaller particles of Comet 73P/Schwassmann–Wachmann that no one saw before some people believe that it's possible that parts of that comet may hit the earth

but comet doesn't formed by ice?

new topics

top topics

join