It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Earthquakes Increasing ????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

another quake today, i know this has probably been asked before but i did a search and found no topic thread asking this question...ARE EARTHQUAKES INCREASING!! the usgs says no but i heard on other web forums that the usgs has been spreading disinformation on this for a long time to keep the public fear down, perhaps the time has come to take a fresh look at the whole issue and ask some questions about this

what about volcanic activity?? there seems to be more going on than were told on a regular basis ......

Also not mentioned was the continued issues, some mysterious and still unexplained, involving the Yellowstone Region of the United States and where a new report is circulating that says, "The American people are not being told that the explosion of this 'super volcano' could happen at any moment."

if were not being told about major fears that scientist's have concerning these possible events, why??

would public panic topple the stockmartket?? does it matter in the grand scheme of things?? would looting and rioting become the issue of the day?? maybe these thing are a good reason for keeping the public dumb, but is it the right thing to do??

i personally feel that earthquakes are increasing in frequency and intesity and it seems in line with what the bible predicts will happen in the last days

but that is just my opinion.........what's yours??

www.rense.com...

www.discerningtoday.org...

extremedaze.blogspot.com...

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
As a geologist, I can tell you that the frequency of earthquakes is not increasing. Our monitoring methods are better then ever, so we pick up a lot more seismic activity then say back in the 1950's.

The USGS has not been spreading disinformation, it spends half of its time trying to stop americans getting in a flap about things they've read written by some crackpot on the internet who has no geological background.

It is true that a large body of magma is accumulating under yellostone, and yes in the past mega eruptions have taken place. However saying that yellowstone could explode at any moment is in the same vain as saying that a meteorite could hit the earth, it is likely to happen at some point, but the problem is not knowing when.

You also have to understand that the USGS is just a small body of scientists working on yellowstone and mega eruptions. The rest of the body published their findings in peer reviewed scientific journals. If they have something important to say with evidence to back it up thens its published, no big conspiracy exists between scientists.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I don't think earthquakes in general are increasing, however I do think the number of higher magnitude quakes have increased. Check the Quake Watch Threads for data from Valhall, you can see for yourself the number of quakes and compare it to previous years and months.

As for volcanoes, I do believe we are seeing more activity than we have in the past decade or so.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
are you with the USGS rock hunter ?? nice to have someone in the know, to dispell the rumers that seem to run amuck on the internet

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Who says people are not being told about the Yellowstone caldera?

Let's see...

Time and Newsweek magazines have ran feature stories on the phenomena. Cable TV seems to run a documentary on it about once a month. Many major newspapers have published articles on it. It has been discussed on the current events talk show circuit. Research reports have been publicly disseminated.

How much more do you need??? Do you want President Bush to jump up and down on a podium on national TV yelling about it??? If you were not aware of it, blame your own ignorance and burying your head in the sand. Don't blame any whacked out conspiracy theory on USGS disinformation.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I've lived in So California all my life,and seems that earthquakes have decreased here,been at least a few months,my poor house is in need of a foundation massage

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Rock hunter has hit it spot on.

There arent more quakes than normal. it is simply a matter of global awareness and better detection systems and networks. Until about 100 years ago, we had no really solid and accurate methods of detecting, measuring, and quantifyinf earthquakes. Plus, communications were not what they were today. For example, say, in 1850, if lets say, Australia had hundreds of earthquakes, very few people would know about it because of time, distance, and population.

Now that there are more people inhabiting previously uninhabited areas, there are more people around to experience and record earthquakes.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Our planet seems like it's getting ready to "pop".

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Hunter
As a geologist, I can tell you that the frequency of earthquakes is not increasing. Our monitoring methods are better then ever, so we pick up a lot more seismic activity then say back in the 1950's.

Out local weekly newspaper publishes the earthquake reports for the area every week. It is filled w/ many level 2 & 3 earthquakes that are not felt by people, but the instruments pick them up. They are reported as quakes to the media.

There is just as many of these small quakes now as there ever was, just that no one felt them occur, so never were reported.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
i heard a rumer last year according to this stan deyo guy when the USGS changed heads it was because the former head did not want to lie to the public about the increasing earthquakes and building pressure on the north american tectonic plate has anyone else heard of this or have any reliable info to back this story up???

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
the_sentinal - Thanks! No i'm not with the USGS but am based in an academic institution in the UK. My research deals with magma emplacement beneath volcanoes and structural geology.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
yea Earthquakes are increasing... along with Tornado's, Hurricanes, Tsunami's, Floods, Mudslides... hmmm i wonder why? could possibly be the comet (planet x) thats coming closer to Earth... i dunno... all we can do is wait and see

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
according to this page the trend is an evident increase in the amount of earthquakes

neic.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I would have to agree, the graph below tells me they are on the up and up magnitude wise since the 90's anyway. Which leads me to wonder if these graphs are as honest as gore's hockey stick, would they really post the truth?

there has definitely been mention of yellowstone's potential in the media lately, however only it's potential and not it's activity as it's def been growling more then ever as of late.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Everything seems to be different lately, as for planet X I still wont believe that until I see it in the sky. But there has been alot of activity off the west coast lately and more then usual. So something is happening but what???

Hilda

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Consider all the things together, our pollution ,then all of the galaxy...gravity wells tugging and "dark " energy pushing ,solar winds bending the atmosphere. Then consider the forces yet to be discovered, ie: human impetus,orbital gravitics ,celestial motion aberration due to cosmic wave flux.
This and other myriad effects are bringing to a head the seeming of destruction, no no...just youth passing. Remember adolescence ? This world is turning into a young adult ..rapidly. Just hang on and watch this Universal child bounce onto its feet and run. Peace. Believe the truth. It is Happening , you are feeling it. Ask a child of 5 or so..."how do feel today ?" The answer is for the world. Krieg L. Elfgen

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I do believe that the beginning of sorrows as mentioned in Matthew 24 has already started. The world is met with calamity, out cry, pain, and rumors of wars on a daily schedule now.

In these 'bright times' of technological break throughs and cutting edge health treatments we are still plagued with biblical symptoms such as famine and disease all the same.

These symptoms were never meant for men to cure. The world was made for the good of man and woman. Today people are turning against God more and more each day. As a result the world has turned against man in that it is displaying the signs of the times and God's wrath.

When man walks contrary to God, God has pledged to walk contrary to man. When they look for good then He will send evil. When they look to solve their own problems through their own resources God frustrates their efforts to make them stop and think.

Man continues to testify of his own plight as a result of judgment under the hand of God, yet fails to testify of God. This is because humanity has forgotten their Creator and no longer acknowledges His signs to them.

Only by the power of God did Pharaoh ever come to the conclusion, “I and my people are wicked” (Ex.9:27). He was navigating his kingdom by his counselors and by the traditions of his fathers. All philosophies of the world will set challenges for new ideas in order to rectify life’s problems and justify their form of education to continue to navigate around God’s judgments.

Whatever people idolize God frustrates by setting a judgment upon their efforts. We clearly see God’s judgment upon nature, upon technology, and upon politics. Upon every nation, every tongue, and every people God has brought forth His judgments of war, famine, and pestilence. After billions of dollars spent in years of research, technological advancements have provided no hope to reform or redeem. The future is bleak. God has set a frustration upon all of man’s endeavors because they seek to advance themselves apart from Him.

There is a parallel between the events that are taking place in the areas of famine, floods, fire, war and pestilence and the conditions of people’s souls. Because of false gospels which is Satan inspired, the conditions which we are living in is signs of God’s judgments. It is not Satan who is causing floods, and Tornados that destroy a church. Satan is not the one inflaming the fields, all these things are done by the will of God.

The condition of the weather reflects the state of the soul. This is evident also throughout the bible. Clemency is only going to come through God, but man wants to resolve his own problems through law and politics but by trying to resolve issues through debates is only going to bring more judgment from God.

"Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come."

The signs are all around us. Keep faith, stand your watch, and give thanks every day. Open a close relationship with your Lord, accept Jesus Christ, share your love, and he will take care of you forever and ever.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
If they are increasing, i'm not sure. I DO notice quite a few more newsreports about quakes lately, but that's just me...one yesterday in Iran and then another today in Chile (9-10-08).

I kinda find it funny, though, that some people use the argument that because quakes are happening in places where there used to be no people/communication, then that supports they aren't on the rise.

Hello? If nobody is there to report it or the equipment wasn't there to detect it, how does that prove ANY point either way? In order for that to work, you must ASSUME earth quake events to be at some almost constant number, and we are simply finding them more often.

The time span we've actually been able to effectively measure these things is way too short anyway. Maybe if you had a graph spanning 5000 years and the data on it was near perfect for the whole planet, then at least you'd be able to take a more educated position.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
most official sites show earth quakes are not increasing ..
its up to you if you want to believe there recorded data, one thing is certain,there is know way on gods earth from hiding the facts no matter how corrupt people think the system is... scientists are not politicians

new topics

top topics

join