It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the real bulletproof

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
ok so i heard a rumor that if you are able to get under a certain ammount of water you are safe from bullets i dont know if this is true or not but i would liek to know so let me know if you find anything on it

-the king

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
actually, that's true... about three feet of water is enough to cause a high-powered rifle round to disintegrate, and five or six will stop a pistol round.

pistol rounds actually take more water to deflect than faster, more deadly rifle rounds, because a pistol round produces less friction with the water.

[edit on 16-5-2006 by The Parallelogram]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
wow really? cool ok well thanks for responding now i must be off to find a lake and see the bank laterz!!

-the king

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
actually, that's true... about three feet of water is enough to cause a high-powered rifle round to disintegrate, and five or six will stop a pistol round.

pistol rounds actually take more water to deflect than faster, more deadly rifle rounds, because a pistol round produces less friction with the water.

[edit on 16-5-2006 by The Parallelogram]

really even though high powered rifle rounds have greater velocity?

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Distortion

Yea, the rifle bullets completely just fall apart, Mythbusters did a show about it a while back to prove that rifles were useless when shot into water.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by adamiskthespacepirateking
ok so i heard a rumor that if you are able to get under a certain ammount of water you are safe from bullets i dont know if this is true or not but i would liek to know so let me know if you find anything on it

-the king

lol you been watching mythbusters right?

the impact of the bullet on the water just rips it apart
the only bullet that was close to successfull was the small arms one.
heavy rifle ones didnt do any damage

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Distortion

The high velocity is the reason for the rapid disintegration, because the water resistance increases multiple times with a higher velocity. At a certain speed the water actually becomes "hard" as concrete in the milliseconds of the impact.

Whether the bullet disintegrates or not is dependant on the type of bullet used, but generally most bullets will lose their ability to pierce skin after 1.5-2m and completely lose their velocity after 3m... these are only rough figures. Underwater weapons like harpoons and certain underwater firearms like the HK P11 or APS try to overcome this by using thin but long and heavy projectiles.

[edit on 17/5/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Most handgun rounds will have spent most of the energy after 24 inches of water penetration, rifle bullets fracture when they "tumble" in fluid (assuming they have suffiecient velocity) - for the same reason that airliners are quite happy nose on into the slipstream at 500 knots, but turn them sideways and.....crunch.

I didn't see the Mythbusters episode, but I was told it showed typical rifle bullet penetration to a matter of inches, with pistol bullets faring slightly better.

The addition of a cannelure (longitudinal grooves in the jacket where the case mouth grips the bullet) serve to further weaken the copper jacket and this promotes fracturing - a desirable thing when shooting bad guys with rifle bullets. Note - not with pistol rounds though.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Now, if you take said water, mix in some sawdust and freeze it just right you have something seriously impact resistant.
Not something to defend against a shaped charge as I imagine your armor vaporizes.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Haha I remember that mythbusters episode. They were firing these small guns all day, then as a finalizer Jamie was handed this mother of a snipers rifle. I've never seen a rifle that big. He had to work up the guts to fire it . . . and when he did, the water from the gyster hit the roof of the place they were doing it in. And that was one high roof!

top topics

join