It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Langley 2006 Airshow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Video footage of the aircraft present:
AirPower Over Hampton Roads 2006
Langley 2006

Video of a F-22A Raptor doing a number of fascinating maneuvers, including a Cobra maneuver: (4min/40mb so be on guard if you have a slow connection)
semperapollo.com...

Video of a Raptor going from take off to a vertical (90 degree vertical), stops in the vertical, hangs there in a hover or 'helicopter', then points the nose down to another 90 degree high speed acceleration:
semperapollo.com...

And another one with the Raptor:
semperapollo.com...

Thanks to semperapollo for the heads-up and links.
Comments or thoughts welcome, but most certainly, enjoy the videos.

seekerof

[edit on 16-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Thanks, Seekerof! If I can't enjoy them live, it's fun to sit on the sofa with a laptop and go, "Wow. Cool." Semper Apollo--another site to check out for stuff.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Most certainly welcome.

Raised the hair on the back of my neck when I watched them.

Some fascinating maneuvers to be had and seen from an aircraft that seemingly displayed excellent inflight stability, flexibility, and control.

seekerof

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Pretty cool. Was it me or did the Raptor seem to hang for a bit during the Cobra for much longer than the Su's ?????

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Not totally sure, FredT, I might have to find a number of Russian comparative videos and correlate time.

What I did find interesting was that there was a few times where the Raptor looked to hover or 'helicopter' during some of those low speed maneuvers.

seekerof

[edit on 17-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Great vid’s Seeker! I especially like the one where the Raptor is performing the ‘Cobra’ and displaying its awesome acceleration capability. By the way, seems to me that plane is pretty stable in the air.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Now I feel old since I worked on the F-15 C-D ,really I worked on the F-16 A-B
after that ,so now I'am not soo sad ..Great stuff .

PJ ,ea ..I'd watch you guys at Kadena AB (79-81) your neck of that woods still had
Apollo capsules, (mock ups ) that prior would train on . I was in 76-84 . thanx for the vid.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Finally silenced the critics about the F-22s manuvering capabilities..

Looking at you stealth spy

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Seekerof...
I didn't know the F-22 could do a cobra with that kind of style... The other manouers were also very pretty... I don't admit that the F-22 has better manouverability than the F/A-18... But you got me one step at that direction...

Originally posted by FredT
Pretty cool. Was it me or did the Raptor seem to hang for a bit during the Cobra for much longer than the Su's ?????

I agree...
The cobra was a lot longer... The Russians ahve only been able to do it for a second where as the F-22 did it for at leat five...

originally posted by chinawhite

Finally silenced the critics about the F-22s manuvering capabilities..

it could have been better...

[edit on 18-5-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It made it look so effortless. Su's planes when doing it you can tell they are pushing their plane to the extremes. Here it seemed that the movements flowed with astonishing grace. Who knows that the Raptor is capable of that are not showing. I guess this videos were like someone said earlier, ti shut up a bunch of critics out there...

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
semperapollo has just put out a Hi-Res Sample of the F-22 doing a 90 degree pull-up.

Hi-Res Sample

seekerof

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Excellent video...
how high can a F-22 get up (doing a 90 degree pull-up) comparing to the Hornet or the F-16...?? And could the F-22 do a blue Angles trick where the plane does it very close to the ground...??

[edit on 20-5-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Video footage of the aircraft present:
AirPower Over Hampton Roads 2006
Langley 2006

Video of a F-22A Raptor doing a number of fascinating maneuvers, including a Cobra maneuver: (4min/40mb so be on guard if you have a slow connection)
semperapollo.com...

Video of a Raptor going from take off to a vertical (90 degree vertical), stops in the vertical, hangs there in a hover or 'helicopter', then points the nose down to another 90 degree high speed acceleration:
semperapollo.com...

And another one with the Raptor:
semperapollo.com...

Thanks to semperapollo for the heads-up and links.
Comments or thoughts welcome, but most certainly, enjoy the videos.

seekerof

Great videos and a clear indicator of the alterations done to the aircraft to improve it's low speed maneuverability. Its good to see that our airplanes can finally do with the aid of thrust vectoring what the russians' did 25 years ago without thrust vectoring and at a fraction of the cost.

[edit on 20-5-2006 by orca71]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
how high can a F-22 get up (doing a 90 degree pull-up) comparing to the Hornet or the F-16...?? And could the F-22 do a blue Angles trick where the plane does it very close to the ground...??

The F-22’s high T/W ratio allows it to continue accelerating even during a 90 degree vertical climb. The F/A-18E/F does not have a T/W ratio better than 1:1 which means that its altitude is entirely dependant upon how much energy it goes into the maneuver with. The F-16 has a T/W ratio slightly over 1:1 which means that it will continue to accelerate in a 90 degree climb but not as high as the F-22. Also, given that the F-22 has TVC with +20 degree control it should be able to pull into a 90 degree climb faster than both the F-16 and F/A-18 when in level flight, though I’m not too sure about that.
Note: My figures are based on combat loads, not on empty configuration or air show configuration where the only load is the pilot.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Is it me or after the first raptor clip does it say "World Famous Patty Wagstaff"? Doesn't she fly an Extra 300S or something?

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Just thought I'd bump this thread. There are retards out there saying the Raptor DID NOT pull a cobra.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Guys,
I hate to break it to ya but this was pathetic for a fighter that is supposed to be Numero Uno.
Yes, this was a 'Cobra', 90 degree cobra (like MiG 29 w/o TWC, not the 120+degree cobras the Su are doing), it was very slow to recover from it which actually is a bad thing. Not true that the Su can't hang in, seen it sustain the cobra until airspeed is 0 and it starts to fall, but this is for show off, cobra in combat must be as fast as possible. And the Su can do the cobra in a turn! Have you seen the Su 37 display doing Somersaults. Really the americans should keep saying the F22 is not supposed to dogfight and avoid such displays, because it just shows that they did try to achieve the supermaneuverability of the latest russian fighters and didn't quite succeed.
Finally, I bet the F 18 E would do much better in a dogfight than the F22 if it had more powerful engines.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pazo
Guys,
I hate to break it to ya but this was pathetic for a fighter that is supposed to be Numero Uno.
Finally, I bet the F 18 E would do much better in a dogfight than the F22 if it had more powerful engines.

I "hate" to break it to you, but I find it quite "pathetic" that one can make such a unfounded and unbacked comparison and commentary. Video never does what is being video taped 'justice' versus seeing the thing being video taped in person. Be assured, I was there, as was semperapollo and other ex and current pilots, and NO, a F-18E could hardly if at all do what the F-22 did 'barely scratching the surface' of its displayed capabilities. Were you there? Got video of a F-18E doing a cobra or any of the 'helicopter' manuevers that the F-22 Raptor did in those videos? Post them if you do, k?

seekerof

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Yes I have seen an F-18E do a cobra (I admit it was less than 90 degrees AoA, but 'dinamicheskoe tormojenie' or dynamic braking nontheless), sorry I do not have a video because I didn't pay much attention to it when I came across it. You can choose not to believe me. It was at some asian airshow. Have in mind that I'm not a fan of american aircraft and don't care if you like the F18 better than the Raptor or vice versa.
The reason why the F18 can't do the hovercraft stuff is because it's power/weight ratio is substantially worse (I speciffically said it needed more powerful engines). And I said it would do better in a dogfight, not an airshow. You agree that the hovering ain't no good in a dogfight.
I agree with you that it must look more impressive live than on video, but the thing is... the Su 37 looks far more impressive in video... now imagine seeing it live... I haven't, but have seen Su27 live (can do 80% of the Su37 stuff) and MiG 29s flown by decent pilots. Now these are 30 year old platforms. I would expect seeing the video of the brand new Raptor to blow me out of my seat (like the Su37 did 10 years ago), but it just doesn't. Sorry. I guess if I were american it would look far better to me. Would be like 'Yeah, we're finaly almost doing what those f***ing russians were doing 20 years ago at 1/100 the price and without fly by wire and computers'. But I'm not, And although I ain't russian either, those ruskies do design planes better than the CAD systems that serve as 'designers' at Locheed.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pazo
And I said it would do better in a dogfight, not an airshow. You agree that the hovering ain't no good in a dogfight.

I'll agree to the above when you openly agree that the Cobra and other like maneuvers have NO combat value at all, k?

Btw, US air doctrine has long shifted from dogfighting to BVR. You have heard that the days of Chivalry ('knife-fighting and -dancing') are virtually over, correct?

I agree with you that it must look more impressive live than on video, but the thing is... the Su 37 looks far more impressive in video... now imagine seeing it live... I haven't, but have seen Su27 live (can do 80% of the Su37 stuff) and MiG 29s flown by decent pilots.

When I was in service years back, I had the pleasure of visiting a Moscow airshow for two days which featured not only a Su-37 but a Su-27 and a MiG-29 performing variations of the Cobra.

Would be like 'Yeah, we're finaly almost doing what those f***ing russians were doing 20 years ago at 1/100 the price and without fly by wire and computers'.

The reason the F-22 videos were provided was for various reasons, one main one being that some within this site who frequent this particular forum repeatedly stated that the F-22 could not perform such a maneuver or the the like. I have also noticed that other than one, those others have not made their presence known within this Raptor video topic. Ironic...

Nonetheless, the Cobra maneuver has NO combat or dogfighting value and with very few Russian pilots, less than 10-20, being capable enough to do such a maneuver (being the standard Russian pilot only gets 20-40 hours a YEAR of in-flight training), I can care less about the maneuver being any threat to American air superiority aircraft such as the F-22 Raptor just as the US Air Force did not consider it a viable threat 20 years ago...

But I'm not, And although I ain't russian either, those ruskies do design planes better than the CAD systems that serve as 'designers' at Locheed.

Frankly, thats a matter of opinion.

seekerof

[edit on 9-6-2006 by Seekerof]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join