It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blait to be prosecuted for racism ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I heard this story while I was back in the UK 2 weeks back. Apparently a close personal aide of the PM was watching telly with him during the last election night, and the poor showing for Labour in Wales resulted in the PM shouting "f*****g Welsh !!".

The aide has since written a book and recounted the incident. The has allegedly resulted in the police visiting Downing Street to take a written statement regarding the incident because the expletive constitutes a racial slur against the Welsh

If it was any other country I wouldn't believe it, but the UK is completely and absolutly Monster Raving Looney these days - so it could well be true.

Honestly, a madman couldn't make ths stuff up.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Your quite right that the U.K is only one of a select few of the nations in this world that would consider doing this. We as British citizens are very lucky to have a government which looks out for the contents of our throats. Not many other western democracies have a government that can do this (although admittedly Austria will throw a mad man in prison for denying the Holocaust (unless proven clinically mad that is).
I don't know were Winchester Ranger T is from, but I would like to say it sounds like he may come from a country which is still lagging a bit too close to the Stone Age in thought crime (no offence honest). However we can't all come from a government that looks out for its citizens this far. That said it does look like other western nations are beginning to catch up with U.K's lead on political correctness, and I hate to think of what we might need to do to maintain our lead (probably introduce some North Korea style eye-scan I.D card, or something). Perhaps even mapping every car journey in the country that passes a licence-plate reading camera?

But if the government did want to prosecute Tony Blair for this innocent little Welsh remark (not that anything so "offensive" could ever be innocent of course) I think it would be a jolly good idea (not least because it’s Tony Blair’s own government).

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Blair to be prosecuted for racism ?

- No. I very much doubt it.

I could imagine the Police having a word (and this being made public) as an example to people (and shwing the PM is not above the law).

I don't agree that verbal abuse is always harmless but I don't see great harm in this instance either.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984
Your quite right that the U.K is only one of a select few of the nations in this world that would consider doing this.

Frilling welsh.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Hmm, I think we should be calm about this issue. A vat of boiling oil, tar, feathering, whips, stocks and a kick up the backside. Yep, sounds about right to me

But seriously, who cares. That's not racism at all, it's just a human being reacting like a human. And I can't stand Blair, but he's done worse than swear at us
There'll be no prosecution, and IMO the media should be complaining about, if anything, the waste of police resources on something like this.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

I don't know were Winchester Ranger T is from, but I would like to say it sounds like he may come from a country which is still lagging a bit too close to the Stone Age in thought crime (no offence honest).

I'm "from" the UK, but when they started passing laws that restricted free speech and the ability of people to defend themselves, I decided to leave for a "Stone Age" country.

What next, 12 months is a thought re-adjustment centre for shouting out "who ate all the pies" to a fat person.

The UK has lost the plot big time, scary stuff.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
What next, 12 months is a thought re-adjustment centre for shouting out "who ate all the pies" to a fat person.

The UK has lost the plot big time, scary stuff.

- Winchester you really ought to consider the difference between a tabloid story and the daily reality 'the people' face.

Feel free to let us know of the whole-scale 're-adjustment' going on for the breeching of all these 'PC' laws you imagine enslaving us all, eh?

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
How about the fact that you now have to order a chalkboard instead of a blackboard, or the banning of nursery rhymes like baabaa blacksheep, or the fact that a police officer can be disciplined for saying "let's get down to the nitty gritty".

Sounds like thought re-adjustment to me, since you are not allowed to say, and by definition think, certain things. Watching a couple of hours of the politically sanitized garbage that the BBC pumps out these days should clue you in - remember the one about jounalists being banned from using the word "terrorist" in relation to the London bombings, as it was seen to be "inflammatory".

Talk about political conspiracies, I think this is the biggest one there is in the UK today.

Just imagine how bad it will be 50 years from now.

[edit on 18-5-2006 by Winchester Ranger T]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
How about the fact that you now have to order a chalkboard instead of a blackboard, or the banning of nursery rhymes like baabaa blacksheep, or the fact that a police officer can be disciplined for saying "let's get down to the nitty gritty".

- I know these are the kind of tabloid fodder stories that can rarely be backed up by any facts.

Perhaps you have details of the prosecutions resulting from this?

Sounds like thought re-adjustment to me, since you are not allowed to say, and by definition think, certain things.

- ....or so certain people would have us believe.

It's the same as that 'council bans Christmas' garbage last year.
The tabloids collara low-level council employee and get them to say something stupid, then they splash with the fake story.

A stupid instance of a stupid story doesn't make it the actual truth of 'how things are' nationwide.

remember the one about jounalists being banned from using the word "terrorist" in relation to the London bombings, as it was seen to be "inflammatory".

- Frankly, no. I don't.

I do know journo's are asked not to say things that might prejudice a Police enquiry (I'd have thought you'd support that kind of thing?).

Just imagine how bad it will be 50 years from now.

- Naaa, I'll let you do all that for me, I bet you can't help but continually imagine a really really horrible future (everytime), hmmm?

new topics

top topics

join