It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Helicopter Gunship Tech demonstrator.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
w1.rob.com...

now hows this for a nice close up of russian gun technology? The hind seems to be a bit small for the gun, but it sure as hell looks sweet!

The Mil - 24 is my favorite ever combat helicopter, and to see it up armed and up teched to the 21st centuary pleases me no end!

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
w1.rob.com...

now hows this for a nice close up of russian gun technology? The hind seems to be a bit small for the gun, but it sure as hell looks sweet!

The Mil - 24 is my favorite ever combat helicopter, and to see it up armed and up teched to the 21st centuary pleases me no end!

Isn't that the South African upgrade of Alegerian Hinds with new ATGWs and a 20mm gun?

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Looks pretty good. I dont think the cannon is too big for the hind, I think it just has a long barrel and is mounted further forward than you're used to seeing.

On the apache the cannon is about the same size, maybe a slightly shorter barrell but its mounted back further on the belly so it doesnt hag off the front as much.

see what I mean

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The same 20mm gun as seen on the Hind is also mounted on some Romanian Pumas:

Although it looks big, it's a less powerful gun than the 25mm Chaingun mounted on the Apache or the twin 30mm fixed cannon on many Hinds.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
That's 20mm? I thought it was 7.62

Looks like the optics aren't slaved to the gun, though.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
XB70 you mean that the optics have to be controlled seperatly from the cannon? Does the gunner have a helmet mounted sight like the apache?

In the pic it does look like the optics sensors are not pointed down at the same steep angle the cannon is. I was thinking if the optics are at a higher altitude from the ground but that it can probably still see what the cannon can shoot.

[edit on 18-5-2006 by warpboost]

[edit on 18-5-2006 by warpboost]

top topics

join