It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO Aircraft carrier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
It's been suggested that NATO should take over the US carrier USS John F Kennedy which the USN is looking to cull for business reasons. Thoughts?

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I think this cold potentially be a very good idea. It could support Peace Keeping operations worldwide, i.e. food and medevac, and could help NATO in training exercises with other nations.

Its a pity their gonna get some scungy ship whose keel was laid in the early sixties, though.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
When I worked for the Norfolk Naval Shipyard/Repair yard in Portsmouth, Va., I had the pleasure and displeasure of working on the Kennedy. Worked on a shipfitting gang that did solely flightdeck and above. I had the pleasure and displeasure of removing about 150 ft. of flightdeck catwalk on the starboard side. Quite frankly, the boat is a rust bucket, same with the U.S.S. America, which were not fully apart of the SLEP (Service Life Extension Program) program due to Clinton military funding cutbacks. Unfortunate, because the Kennedy is in need of alot of work and a refit besides being almost a generation+ behind existing carriers.

Personally, I do not believe that NATO could effectively or efficiently operate the carrier (between Harriers and Rafales), and btw, who is going to bear the brunt of her operational and maintainence costs? Sell it, outright, to Germany, Japan, or Taiwan, or simply make it one huge coral reef (if not sold as scrap metal).

Maybe a deal can be worked out with the Iranians, cause I am sure they would love one, being they are in desperate need of one, perhaps?

seekerof

[edit on 16-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
A NATO Aircraft Carrier?

It would have to be a Supercarrier maybe ex USN, Howabout the USS Enterprise or the first Nimitz carrier since they are getting oldish?

So this NATO carrier will be used by all NATO/UN countries at the same time?

new topics

top topics

join