It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Understanding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I looked some of these words but still didnt have a full grasp of what they ment. Wondering if someone could maybe explain or have links on the words.

Scientologist
Atheism
Agnostic

I thought Scientologist was a person who belives that science is the answer for everything. Theres a scienctific explaination on anything. But at work this dude said it ment something about being reborn from alien souls...

Now my general understand of Scientologist is that it was some made up crap in the 50's to brainwash people and to make money but then i got confused. So I figured Id ask on here.

As for Atheism, I know it ments beleive in no god(s). But I also thought it ment you beleive in nothing. No creator of any sort, not even science. Please some clear that up for me as well?

And Agnostic...well I looked it up but it was a little diffucult to understand.

Thanks

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Scientology has little to do with Science.

Atheism

Atheism is not a religion in the sense that Christianity, Islam, and, Judaism are. Atheism is not generally perceived as offering a complete guideline for living as do most religions.
Atheism is confined to one factor: the existence or non-existence of a deity.
Atheism can involve the positive assertion that there is no deity. This is sometimes referred to as "strong Atheism." It is the most common dictionary definition for the term "Atheist."
Atheism can be the absence of a belief that there is a deity. This is the belief promoted by the American Atheists group and many individual Atheists.

Agnostics

An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth in matters such as God and the future life with which Christianity and other religions are concerned. Or, if not impossible, at least impossible at the present time.
Are agnostics atheists?

No. An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God.

Hope this helps.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Scientology is a made up religion, just like all of them. It's just as valid as christianity. I'm not sure why it was created exactly, but the founder did say something like the quickest way to make a million dollars is to start a religion ... something to that effect atleast. And looks like he was right.

Atheist's understand where religion has come from and as a result understand it's all made up by ordinary men like you and me. It was once a way to explain thing's we didn't know back then, and now it's nothing more then a tool. Although there are a few decent religions, such as hindu or budhism. Those two I can respect.

Agnostics are people who do believe in god but are too wussy to admit it, so they decide to say they can't answer yes/no to his (fictional) existance.

The hardest thing for any religous person to come to terms with is ... it was all fake. Every single religion on this planet can't claim to be the one and only true religion. And it makes no sense to pick one over the other when followers of so many different belief systems all claim to have some form of "personal proof".

Another hard thing for most religous people is to actually look into how their religion came to be. Where it originated. Who the characters are based upon from older religions. Where the symbols orginated from and how they are borrowed from older religions. Where the holidays originated and how they are borrowed from older religions.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Oh, and some people have a more objective perspective toward these different ways of thought, while others clearly have a subjective viewpoint.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
so what other titles are out there?

is there a quiz i can take that can give me my title for what i am?

i am wondering where I fall, i beleive in no religtion, i beleive we came from some other alien race

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Oook .... and why exactly do you think we came from an alien race? Where'd you get that idea from? Scientology? Star Trek? Can't possibly be something from real life ...

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titanos
is there a quiz i can take that can give me my title for what i am?

Try This One

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prot0n
Oook .... and why exactly do you think we came from an alien race? Where'd you get that idea from? Scientology? Star Trek? Can't possibly be something from real life ...

star trek? wtf....

anyways i get this from my own feelings, like that gut feeling, i believe in aliens and i think they have some way influcenced our ancerstors in some way

i really dont have a explaintions on why or how we came from aliens, but i witnessed the lights over phoenix event back in 97 and since then my view of life an everything around it has changed...ptf star trek

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Eh, I'm don't know much of the phoenix light's. Might be, might not be. I've seen wierd crap in the sky too myself. I can't say 100% sure what I've seen though.

Now obviously, atleast to me it is, there's something beyond your "gut" that's influencing your belief that aliens influenced our ancestors. I know there's a ton of people out their who claim man couldn't have done this or that and that our ancestors were just too stupid or didn't have our super duper advanced technology so HMMPF!

Yea, those are what we generally label as the "crazy" people. They can be quiet entertaining these folks. They'll come up with some wild speculation based upon thin air and try to pass it off as a new discovery that proves they possibly lack a brain stem.

If you personally have no explanations, then why do you personally believe such a thing? There's no evidence that would even lead you to conclude such an idea. Unless of course you wanna stick with the pretty light's in the sky scenario and pawn it off to unseen super duper light years ahead of us advanced aliens who for the past 7,000 years of human civilization just decided to not make any form of contact whatsoever. Or we could claim contact was made only with primitive man and they taught primitive man primitive techniques, never bothered to educate them to any worthwhile degree.

Yes people, man was too stupid to figure out how to dig dirt or put a leaf over his head.

I know I know ... truth sucks pineapples big time.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
"I looked at some of these words but still didnt have a full grasp of what they ment. Wondering if someone could maybe explain or have links on the words".

Scientologist: an adherant to the matemorphasis of what began as a salesman's successful attempt at a TAX dodge. It seems that people will believe almost anything.

Atheism: the concept that states...that for which absolutely no evidence exists should join the evidence.

Agnostic: The one word difference between an agnostic and an atheist is...honesty.

sayswho (skep by any other name)

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prot0n
Eh, I'm don't know much of the phoenix light's. Might be, might not be. I've seen wierd crap in the sky too myself. I can't say 100% sure what I've seen though.

Now obviously, atleast to me it is, there's something beyond your "gut" that's influencing your belief that aliens influenced our ancestors. I know there's a ton of people out their who claim man couldn't have done this or that and that our ancestors were just too stupid or didn't have our super duper advanced technology so HMMPF!

Yea, those are what we generally label as the "crazy" people. They can be quiet entertaining these folks. They'll come up with some wild speculation based upon thin air and try to pass it off as a new discovery that proves they possibly lack a brain stem.

If you personally have no explanations, then why do you personally believe such a thing? There's no evidence that would even lead you to conclude such an idea. Unless of course you wanna stick with the pretty light's in the sky scenario and pawn it off to unseen super duper light years ahead of us advanced aliens who for the past 7,000 years of human civilization just decided to not make any form of contact whatsoever. Or we could claim contact was made only with primitive man and they taught primitive man primitive techniques, never bothered to educate them to any worthwhile degree.

Yes people, man was too stupid to figure out how to dig dirt or put a leaf over his head.

I know I know ... truth sucks pineapples big time.

as for an explaination...i dont have links really, but my evidence is from reading about the dogon people and the sirius star and other things of that nature, i really cant give a good explaination on why, its just what ive read!

btw whats your take on where life came from and such?

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Ouch... Yea, the Dogon story has been debunked a long time ago. Found that out within ... geez, less then a week after I first found out about the hoax. Yea, you'll find alot of hoax's like that around here and there, it's best to research any and all claims as best you can before allowing it to determine what you personally believe.

As for me, pick up a biochemistry book. It'll explain it better then I ever could hope to try. Short answer however, we came from Earth.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Titanos, go with your gut feeling about how you believe. Does it really need a name?

I kind of feel the same way you do, but a little different. When people ask me my religion I tell them "It's personal" and nothing more.

top topics

join