It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venezuela Considers Selling US Jets to Iran or Cuba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Venezuela is considering selling its fleet of U.S. manufactured F-16's to a foreign nation, possibly Iran, or even Cuba. One of Chavez's top advisors recommended selling the planes after Washington issued an arms ban to Venezuela on Monday. Even before the ban, Washington stopped selling sensitive upgrades for the jets. Chavez is now considering purchasing Russian or Chinese aircraft to replace his fleet, if he does indeed decide to sell his F-16's.

news.yahoo.com
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela is considering selling its fleet of U.S.-made F-16 fighter jets to another country, perhaps Iran, in response to a U.S. ban on arms sales to President Hugo Chavez's government, a military official said Tuesday.

Even before the U.S. announced the ban on arms sales Monday, Washington had stopped selling Venezuela sensitive upgrades for the F-16s.

Chavez has previously warned he could share the U.S. jets with Cuba if Washington does not supply parts for the planes. He also has said he may look into buying fighter jets from Russia or China instead.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is their property and they are free to sell it to whoever they wish. I do not necessarily see a threat in selling these jets to Iran, other than the fact they may reverse engineer the technology, perhaps even help them advance their own air force. I would suggest he split the 21 jets to several parties, to ensure maximum business profit.

Giving some of the jets to Cuba would not be very beneficial unless he also sold some to Iran. The three nations can establish their own trade relations (seeing as the UN does not seem to like them very much) and Iran can supply upgrades to Cuba for their jets whenever they would need them.

If this government does decide to go through with their intentions, I wonder what the ramifications by the American government would be?

Related News Links:
news. yahoo.com
www.guardian.co.uk
www.mercurynews.com
www.vheadline.com

[edit on 5/16/2006 by DYepes]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   

This is their property and they are free to sell it to whoever they wish. I do not necessarily see a threat in selling these jets to Iran, other than the fact they may reverse engineer the technology, perhaps even help them advance their own air force.

Under their agreement to purchase the jets, they must consult with Washington before re-selling them.

U.S. officials have said a 1982 contract requires Venezuela to consult with Washington before transferring any F-16s to another country.
www.cnn.com...

It's old technology, go ahead and reverse engineer it. They will never be able to buy critical spare parts anyway.

I would suggest he split the 21 jets to several parties, to ensure maximum business profit.

You would, eh? That's nice. Would you suggest the same if you knew that the jets might be used against the US?

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Interesting news and one in which Chavez once again shows the willingness to disregard contract norms.

Besides the fact that Venezuela's air force has poorly maintained those F-16s - reports estimate them at about 35-45% readiness - selling them may seem like an easy deal to Chavez, but delivering them may be entirely a different matter all together. Long way between Venezuela and Iran, and considering past events, certainly the chance of those nasty virus's and worms that can seemingly be brought to life causing hardware and equipment to become non-functional or operational.

Anyhow, with 20+ year old electronics, etc., a couple Raptors would have a field day with them, and to be sure, the Israelis. This is not even considering the obtaining of spare parts to maintain those F-16s, because I know for a fact that F-16 spare parts are unavailable by way of eBay.

Not seeing an issue here except Chavez and some media source trying to make it one.

Btw, can someone send a memo to Chavez and let him know about this?
U.S. to use retired F-16s to build up friendly Mideast air forces

seekerof

[edit on 16-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Yea well insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan are already using old US weapons and explosives against our troops, I don't see how it matters Iran will be using anything. Besides it is irrelevant anyways, Raptor will rip them a new one.

I honestly do not think Chavez gives a damn about consulting Washington about anything.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Didn't this already happen once before? Or was it different jets last time?

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Isn't that what gobalization is all about. I comend H. Chavez for playing the game by the rules. If he can get someone to pay for that old equipmeent go for it. I am quite sure there are enough of our old weapons around without thses anyways. Iran-Iraq 1980-1988, Afghanistan 1979-1989, Persian Gulf I, Israeli-Arab 1948-Present. Certainly we can't blame Chavez for trying to make a buck, after all we're still nimber 1 ( in weapons sales)

new topics

top topics

join