It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wiretapping, how serious is it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Ive heard of the NSA's recent wiretapping program and ive seen the figures, 63 percent of Americans think its ok.. It's also true that a large chunk of our population can't name the first 10 amendments.

The constitution promises security... but I felt way more secure before I heard about the wiretapping

anyone else feel less secure now?

[edit on 16-5-2006 by Toodat]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I'd have to say that its disturbing that we have an administration that is simply ignoring the Rule of Law. Whatever the 'realpolitik' justification for spying on the entire citizen population when battling a secret cabal, its still pretty god-darned disturbing.

But then again, the administration will be out before long, administrations change, things can be corrected, but not when the general public is so apathetic and pig stupid.

I mean, in Animal Farm, the people that take over the state and rule as Tyrants are pigs. Fine. Thats not even what's happening here.

Instead, we have dumb Cows as the populace.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
yah its really depressing thinking the generel society doesn't even care! They don't care that their rights are being slowly taken away as we move closer into a freedomless government.. and all anyone cares about is wich person is gunna win American Idol

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I mean, think about it, what we know is nothing compared to what is actually going on.They won't even admit to this data-minning phone logging operation. Can you even imagine what they are actually doing?

And worse, this REALLY isn't all that aggressive, I mean, they didn't force the situation or go through incredible lengths to do it, just a few clicks of a computer program and a few phone conferences with AT&T, and people just accepted it, its like as if people asked for it.

Can you even IMAGINE what any government or adminstration could get away with if they really tried to force something down everyone's throats????

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
They pretty much bought the information.

I haven't had to sign up for any phone company because im 16 and didn't sign up for my own cell phone plan, but im pretty sure any major phone company has a policy to not give away personal information.. and they go and sell it to the government.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
i would feel more uneasy now than i did knowing that people are listining into private conversations it goes to show how much the us and britan are becoming more like nanny states the whole thing that 'big brother is watching you' is just freaky to me.

i see the need for it if that person is a suspected terrorist etc

but isint this going against our rights as human beings.

this link discusses the concerns about cival liberties etc

www.aclu.org...

this world is increasingly getting more like a nanny state where noone can do anything without the powers that be knowing.

where will it stop?

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Some of you may find this interesting.

ChoicePoint and George Bush want your blood. Forget your phone bill

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is: the snooping into your phone bill is just the snout of the pig of a strange, lucrative link-up between the Administration's Homeland Security spy network and private companies operating beyond the reach of the laws meant to protect us from our government. You can call it the privatization of the FBI -- though it is better described as the creation of a private KGB.

The leader in the field of what is called "data mining," is a company, formed in 1997, called, "ChoicePoint, Inc," which has sucked up over a billion dollars in national security contracts.

(Snip)

wrightreports.ecnext.com...

Choicepoint Inc. Company Profile CPS United States Market Size

Business Description
Choicepoint Inc.. The Group's principal activity is to provide identification and credential verification services for making smarter decisions. It operates through four segments: Insurance services include information products and services used in the underwriting and claim processes by property and casualty insurers. Business services include employment background screenings, drug testing administration services, public filing searches, vital record services and mortgage fraud credentialing services. Government services include DNA identification services, background screenings, drug testing administration services and data visualization. Marketing Services include data, analytics, teleservices, database and campaign management services. On 04-Jan-2005, it acquired i2 Limited, Magnify Inc. in April 2005 and EzGov, Inc. in May 2005.
my bold

top topics

join