It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Try this on Google

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Did you know if you type in failure on Google search it comes up with Presidents Bushs web page? Just a strange thing to see first.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Couple this with the bizarro foul ads about Bush coming in Google ads and you've got a real conspiracy going at Google. They need to get their act together pretty quick.

Check out the first return on a Google search of the word "failure":

www.google.com...

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I would think the word failure is most likly the most used word to discribe Bush.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Wow that is too funny.....LOL.

Whats up with that?

Well we know that his popularity rating is down to 20%, so I guess he is a failure.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
this is old an has been prooven made by a bunch of hackers or just meaner people that all linked this site under the failure qeury.

this is not a google conspiracy its a bunch of people having fun

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
It really isn't funny if you think about the broader implications than you get a giggle out of something you agree with.

This is serious.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Well, isn't it fun to find out you can't trust any Google returns whatsoever? Bein's it was all just people having fun?

Yay!

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Old news

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
HAHAHA LOL!
I wonder if Bush knows that the first result for googling failure is him.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Bush, Carter, and Michael Moore. Amusing, but I understand where Val's coming from, too. I don't think it's quite as serious as she's making it out to be, though. After all, Google is a search engine. You enter a word or series of words, and it retrieves websites that relate to those words. I don't know about any of you, but I don't trust that Google or any search engine is going to return the exact information I had in my head when I did a search. Typically, I do a search, open three or four pages, skimming them and closing those that aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

So far as I can fathom, the severity of this is the possibility that I spend another 10 minutes scanning and closing websites in the event the false pages aren't obviously false.

It is interesting, though, that, if Google claims hackers did it, they still haven't corrected it. Were they hackers? Then why hasn't the largest search engine in the world gone about correcting a hack that is well known?

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The result of the search "failure" was not a result of hacking. It was a result of Google bombing which thousands of links with failure and George bushes whitehouse home page caused it to rank highest on the search engine. The more inbound links you have from a website will get you the highest ranking for a particular search term entered into the search box. Tons of people did it, by placing links on their websites and blogs linking Failure with whitehouse website.

an example :
Free Chat

Although you see Free Chat it is linked to a website if you mouse-over the link you will see the URL, so if there are thousands of links just like that on thousands of websites it will raise that chat site to the #1 position for search terms of "free chat" on Google because google will believe that site to be a very popular link for that particular search term since all those sites associate that term with that website.

Pie

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
This is old news but I have reason to doubt that hackers did it. (edit) (as already mentioned above, I got beat to it.) If you use internet explorer and google you can see an Icon for "I'm feeling lucky"

If you type phrases into this, you get all kinds of amusing search topics to pop up. For instance type in failure and then click on "I'm feeling lucky" and up pops
www.whitehouse.gov...
a biography for the president.

Type in French military victory and then click on feeling lucky and you get a page for document not found "did you mean french military defeats"

type in french victory and then click on feeling lucky. Then you get the result about how happy the French were for their first military victory at sea for over 300 years. They won a victory against two unarmed Greenpeace vessels.

I believe someone at Google just has a sense of humor.

[edit on 15-5-2006 by orionthehunter]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Yeah this is old news,
rumor got around the net about it and ... even my friends who are not into conspiracies knew about it! Yeah, chuckles ...

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
This is called a Google Bomb.

It has nothing to do with Google, but with the way search engine algorithms work. If you look for ´miserable failure´ you will find both Bush and Michael Moore within the first search results, showing that pro and con Bush orgs alike are doing this.

This bomb is quite easy to create, and Google cannot and will not do anything about it, because they feel strongly about not sensoring their search results.

Remarkable is that the Church of Scientology is using this method as well to get better search engine placement.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   
it actually also works on Yahoo too:

yahoo search for "failure"

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
It really isn't funny if you think about the broader implications than you get a giggle out of something you agree with.

This is serious.

It doesn't matter if it has serious implications or not-- Bush Sr. and Darth Cheney are two of the major rulers of the 'free' world.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
The result of the search "failure" was not a result of hacking. It was a result of Google bombing which thousands of links with failure and George bushes whitehouse home page caused it to rank highest on the search engine. The more inbound links you have from a website will get you the highest ranking for a particular search term entered into the search box. Tons of people did it, by placing links on their websites and blogs linking Failure with whitehouse website.

Okay, now that you explain it to me...it is kind of funny. pfffft I thought it was Google manipulating returns, but its the websites of the internet manipulating the returns.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Its called Google Bombing, and Valhall has a point, why is google permitting it to occur? I mean, its old news for most people on this board, google clearly knows about it.

"Funny" that they cave into the chinese government. "Funny" that they censored the google results on the Charlie Sheen "911 Conspiracy" (and reverted when it became obvious). "Funny" that they are permitting this.

Lets remember, information is power. Google is information.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
try this: liar
Some will be surprised others not......

|
|
|
|
|
|
V
Tony Blair - Biography