It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Sanctions Over Official

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The US has decided enough is enough with Hugo Chavez, President of Venezuela, and have decided to level sanctions in the form of banning weapon sales to the "leftist" leader, on monday. The main reason cited is the lack of "help" in the fight against terror.

today.re uters.com
The United States imposed sanctions on Venezuela on Monday, banning all arms sales to a major oil supplier for what it believes is a lack of help in Washington's war on terrorism, a State Department official said.

The move plummets the two nations' ties to their worst level in decades and comes after years of antagonism between leftist Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Washington on issues ranging from trade to oil prices.

The United States is concerned about Chavez's friendly relationship with Cuba and Iran, two countries it says sponsor terrorism, and his failure to stop Colombian leftist guerrillas using Venezuelan territory, the U.S. official said.

Venezuela has warned for months the United States would move against it over terrorism but says it cooperates with Colombia against guerrillas and denies its ties with countries that are U.S. foes mean that it helps militants.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I would like to start off by saying this is a long time coming and not really any suprise considering Hugo's choices of allies. What is suprising to me is that they offer up the excuse that his ties with Cuba and Iran... both of which the govt. sees as states that sponsor terrorism.
With Iran, I have little arguement to offer in this case. But with cuba?!!!. If the US govt believes that Cuba is a state sponsor then why do we allow so many cubans immigrate to this nation?
If Cuba WAS a real sponsor of terrorism as suggested in the story then why is it then, that so many from cuba are able to get into, and stay in this country without any added security on our waterfront which is only 90 miles north of cuba.
I guess, to sum it up, I am not suprised nor am I disagreeing with the sanctions... but they should at least be a bit more truthful and stop trying to "oversell" the reasoning behind sanctions. Since IMHO Cuba is no more of a threat than Canada.
This administration will stop at nothing to round everyone they can into the net of of the all encompassing "Global War on Terrorism."

[edit on 15-5-2006 by TONE23]

[edit on 15-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

join