It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming/ volcanos/ earthquakes-connection?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
FutureLibrarian said:

For example, one climate science hypothesis recently offered discusses the relationship between the expansion of ocean water (due to both ice melting and biosphere temperature increase) and subsequent increased pressure on continental shelves, resulting in likely increases in volcanic activity in coastal land areas globally.

Combine that with a theory that I have running through my mind lately, and that is:
Just like an iron bar expands as it is heated, I surmise that the crust is expanding as well as global warming increases, increasing subduction, plate pressures, volcanic pressures, and making fault lines more stressed.
Right now, Mount St. Helens, and Mount Merapi in Indonesia plus others (don't forget the tsunami) are showing increasing activity as global warming seems to be increasing in lockstep.

Remember, it's just my theory, it's debateable.

[Mod edit - title adjustment]

[edit on 15/5/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I looked it up.....at the following link.

experts.about.com...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"“What is the factor to calculate the expansion of steel and cast iron as its temperature rises?”

”0.06 to 0.07 percent in length for each 100 deg F rise in temperature. source: building construction for the fire service 3rd edition francis brannigan p.273”"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With a change in temperature of even 4 deg F. that's an expansion of .0028%.

Of course that's for structural steel and not the earth'd crust but seeing as iron makes up the majority of both I figure they can't be that different.

Anyway that's would still be an awfully small change.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by palg1

Of course that's for structural steel and not the earth'd crust but seeing as iron makes up the majority.

Anyway that's would still be an awfully small change.

The most common elements in the earth's crust are silicon and oxygen (silicon dioxide -- beach sand, quartz, common glass) at 75%. The mantle is a different composition. (I didn't look up the mantle, I am certain someone will post it here). The core is believed to be iron or iron-nickel.

Glass has only 1/12 the thermal expansion of iron.

This theory has about the same validity as the Religious Center Environmental Conservation's claim that Mt. St. Helen erupted because of logging. It seems the weight of the trees was holding all the lava in, and when the evil greedy logging companies removed the trees there was no weight to hold back the eruption.

[edit on 15-5-2006 by dave_54]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Actually, major volcanic erruptions can affect global weather.

When Krakatoa erropted, it changed the climate for six years because of the massive amounts of ash clouds spewed into the atmosphere. The changes lasted for six years, and people saw some very weird looking sunsets during that time.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Actually, major volcanic erruptions can affect global weather.

Agree. But not the other way around.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The explosion of Krakatowa a hundred years ago (or so) was said to be felt around the world, and contain the force of a multi megaton nuke.

I think there may be a chicken/egg thing going on - that it's heating up under ground not as a result of global warming, but as a contributor.

We know very little about the earth's core. Maybe there's a natural cycle involved in that phenomena that's about to put the cherry on our carbon/methane emmissions cake?

top topics

join