It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to restore relations with Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   
After being virtually a pariah amongst countries, Libya is now being given full diplomatic relations with the United States.

www.cnn.com
After decades of thumbing his nose at the West, which made him an international pariah, Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi made an abrupt about-face after the fall of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein in 2003, renouncing support for terrorism and agreeing to give up Libya's missiles and weapons of mass destruction.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This seems somewhat abrupt.

Its interesting to me that Moammar Gadhafi hasn't taken advantage of the American adminstration's pre-occupation with Iraq and Iran to cause some mischief. Is it possible new blood has stepped up in Libya? I can't find it online, but there is a great article in last week's New Yorker about current Libyan politics.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.globalsecurity.org

[edit on 15-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
It sound slike this man is finally changing his character and becoming a better person. Now he may be able to support his citizens a little better with full relations with us. Let us import some more oil shall we? No seriously, its a legitamate business opportunity now.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   

This seems somewhat abrupt.

No, not really. Diplomatic efforts have been ongoing for some time now.

www.arabicnews.com...

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Lockerbe, Lockerbie, Lockerbie...... did I mention Lockerbie?
It wasn't that long ago that he was on a "Terminate on Sight" list and now he will be able to visit Disneyland and ride the big dipper.
Lest We Forget.....

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Of course US want better relations with Libya! When they will attack Iran, they will need the more allies they can and the least ennemies! How strategic!

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Bro its called forgiveness you know? Then again he probably does not forgive Reagan for killing his adopted daughter in those air strikes in the 80's. I guess after his death he felt it would be easier to get friendly with America?

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Well this is strange.Your Government is friendly to libya now is it?So why did it break off relations?Wasn`t it because of the Lockerbie Plane bombing?
Because if it is,then Libya must be puzzled-They did not bomb Lockerbie after all,it was your very own CIA,something to do with one of their drug mules i think.Anyway the CIA were on the scene of the crash in a matter of an hour or two to falsify the evidence.As is their MO.
If you think i`m crazy to believe the above read the below link which states that a former Scottish police CHEIF has testified that the CIA planted evidence.

news.scotsman.com...

So Libya must be thinkin this is a set up,not just a show carrot for the Iranians...
Wakey wakey one and all.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I remember "Daffy Ghadaffi" He was our enemy. Does he have good landing strips in Libya?

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

No, not really. Diplomatic efforts have been ongoing for some time now.

www.arabicnews.com...

This article is from five years ago. And the source itself is not exactly mainstream. I'll stand by the characterization of 'abrupt'. I can't find any reference to current negotiations. I think this happened relatively quickly and its all about the oil. I'm not so sure about the strategic use of Libya to possibly stage aircraft.

[edit on 16-5-2006 by MrPenny]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I still think this is just forgiveness on both sides in the pursuit to bring prosperity back to his country. The guy openly gave up his WMD program, irrelevant of his reasons for doing so. And now he denounces terrorism.

He is like a convicted felon who has served his time and decided to turn his future efforts for better things. Who is to say we won't see this with other supposedly "[b/EVIL" leaders.

top topics

join