It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China says its scientist faked chip research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
A Chinese scientist who developed the first homegrown computer chip, stole technology from a foreign company.

news.com.com
Chen Jin, a dean of Shanghai's prestigious Jiaotong University and the leader of a government-funded high-tech research project, was dismissed from his university posts this week and stripped of other government titles and perks. The government also said that Chen had been permanently banned from taking part in any government-funded science projects.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No wonder everything is made from China. They just steal all the technology, they use to make chips for phones, computers, and smaller devices that we use today. What do you think of China now?

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'd say that China is doing alright, since they fired they guy who stole the information.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yeah if it were the Soviets they would've increased his salary and probably made him a Hero of the Soviet Union.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
You think China is better then Russia in this kind of things? Same ideology and mentality, they are like Siamese Brothers in "technology espionage"... no morality and honor.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Morality and honor are for show my friend. Espionage is about stabbing someone in the back and tacking their stuff. James Bond this is not. However I never heard of the Soviets chidding and outright punishing one of their scientists for improving the technology base of the country.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Well, that's not too surprising, because China steals the technologies of outsiders, makes it better, and becomes the outsider's most ferocious competitor.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This practice is nothing new. China has been copying and ripping off everything/pirating products for years as Japan did prior to them. A few examples wold be chips, CDs, DVDs, Movies, House-ware Products, software, watches, handbags etc., you name it they have copied it then sold it to foreign markets.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Did they fire the guy for stealing the technology, or for admitting it and embarrassing them?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Good question.. I wonder that myself.

As for another Country aspiring to Superpower status by aquiring technology by not so legal means, as has been mentioned above, is nothing new. Honor and Legality means nothing in a system who cultivates a culture of "It's all about the Benjamins," the downsides of Capitolism and Free Trade is only bad when it happens to you I guess...

Your very act of buying a product "Made in China," is only perpetuating the cycle. They make large selling you cheaply made "Brand Name," stuff at a low low price, while stealing as much technology as they can off of you. China's leaders know that their country is a Superpower in the making, and they see the fastest way of attaining that status is to embrase Capitolism on masse, as quickly as possible. Rather a smart move on the part of their leadership and could usher in some real change in that country that doesn't take it backwards some more(Rightswise).

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Of course turnabout is fair play after all. Espionage against China goes back to ancient times. From Romans attempting to smuggle silk worms out of China to start their own silk industry. To Indians aquiring paper and of course were would the world be without gunpowder.

Its simple as this. When they have something we want and they aren't willing to sell it we simply steal it. And thats true vice-versa.

new topics

top topics

join