It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trusted Solaris/HP-UX servers?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Hey there...I am new to this forum. I would like to ask a question here if anyone knows this . Is it true that most and many secret military/Government systems use Trusted UNIX operating systems like Trusted Solaris and Trusted HP-UX? Can anyone shed some info on this please, I would appreciate it. They cannot use Windows...If there are, that would be pretty scary....!!!!

Or, in other words, what UNIX or Mainframe systems does the Government use?

Thanks!

infocon*ALPHA

[edit on 14-5-2006 by infoconalpha1]

d1k

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
They have custom made *nix type operating systems, probably many different variations for the many different needs.

You can download and use a distribution made by the NSA called Security Enhanced Linux here. www.nsa.gov...

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Thanks...But is it true that MOST of them use like TRUSTED SOLARIS or something like that instead of SElinux?

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I have no idea what flavor of linux government systems use, but the mainframes and servers are running some form of linux.

I am prety sure they arent using microsoft windows for the nuclear weapons

on a sidenote, heres a bit of advice..... leave government systems alone!

d1k

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by infoconalpha1
Thanks...But is it true that MOST of them use like TRUSTED SOLARIS or something like that instead of SElinux?

The really important servers does not use Solaris, SCO, Linux or any other normal type of nix OS. They use completely custom made operating systems that resemble unix but no normal distribitution. I had a link to a great site that explained some of it, let me go try to dig it up.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Hi there Infoconalpha1, and welcome!

Have spent my career working with various types of "high technology", most of which involves various government Agencies. Can verify that just about every type of OS is used, in some way, on all classifications of networks.

The DOD undertook the development of the common desktop environment or CDE, which produces a standard look and feel, no matter the OS. The CDE provides the “window dressing” for, at least, Sun Solaris, HP-UX, and Microsoft Windows based network systems; very much like Gnome or the KDE but those function in the *UX-only world. Although developed for internal use, that, and ADA, discussed below, are now in wide use.

Even with the existence of such a common-denominator system, just about every OS on the market is in use but, honestly, there are not that many LINUX implementations. Some, assuredly, but most systems utilize the "Normal" versions of MS Windows and the big name *UXes. As in the "outside world", implementations of the various LINUX varieties are rising and integrate nicely since they are, after all, *Xes. As an aside, the other categories of Open Source Software (OSS) tend to be even less prevalent, especially on the classified systems, but again, the implementations are rising when the software fits the requirements.

Another type of OS used primarily on heavy iron is based upon the ADA language and is; well, quite esoteric, that may be what d1k had in mind(?). ADA was primarily developed by Cii Honeywell/Bull from 1977-1980 with numerous updates since. Note: ADA had many 2 digit years... Y2K fun!

Most often, the rather outrageous price of the "Trusted" versions makes implementation nearly infeasible, especially when considering the ROI of such systems versus the "Normal" versions. In addition, there are a number of software titles that will not run, or have difficulties, on the “Trusted” versions and require costly revisions that are normally not necessary.

In general, would state that the "Normal" versions can be made just as secure, if not more so, due to the existing knowledge of what is needed to secure the systems. Often discover systems where the engineers and administrators have disabled much of what makes the “Trusted” versions different, or more secure, just to get them to function as desired or needed- HA!

The guidance from the various Websites listed below, and mentioned by d1k, will harden a system quite well. Remember that Physical, Operational, and Personnel Security figure significantly into the level of security obtainable, along with some trade secrets not listed in the guides.

Some good information sites are:

Definition, History, and Links re: ADA from U of Michigan
Computer Security Resource Center by the NIST Computer Security Division
NSA - System and Network Attack Center
Center for Internet Security (CIS)
Large collection of checklists, regulations, and the like, by the Information Assurance Support Environment of DISA

If prodded at gunpoint to say what server OSes are the most prevalent within the US Government overall, would have to say:

Sun Solaris/HP-UX
Various versions of Microsoft Windows
Novell Netware
ADA
BSD/SCO/AIX/zOS
LINUX and other commercial and proprietary OSes

*The last three entries change position often, but that is a best guess as of today.

Are you perchance looking to work with, or sell to, the government in some fashion or just curious?

By the way, let us all keep XphilesPhan's final sentence in mind!
Since purposefully omitting some OSes, looking forward to seeing which OS d1k has in mind.

Hope this helps to answer your query, and serves to further the discussion,

Nikk

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Thanks for the commants...Im running Solaris 10 w/ CDE myself and I always say to myself this: "WOW so this is what the Govenments use...ha aha" OH yes baby!!!!

But in reality, WHO uses the TRUSTED SOLARIS/HP-UX systems out there as far as military and Government goes?

I found something yesterday as a PDF file..If you scroll down and down you will see a picture of dozen computer terminal and monitors.....You will see all different kinds of maps of the world on big huge computers on the screen and everything...

I would like to ask....What operating systen there are using?? Are they using LINUX, SOLARIS? or what kind?

Heres the PDF file...Just scroll and scroll down until you see many many computer screens with maps on the world. What Operating System there using? And what MAPPING application software there using also??? Can you guys explain here? I would appreciate it.

www.mda.mil/mdalink/pdf/bmdsbook.pdf

Just COPY/PASTE this in the address bar and then hit enter. And then scroll and scroll down...

Also. If guys go to PAGE 9...There is a screenshot of a world map in this diagram called OF THE BMDS. Then, below this diagram theres a screen shot of a world map called under it: "NATIONAL MILITARY COMMAND CENTER...." If you scroll down you cannot miss it. Its on the far RIGHT, its the 4th one to the right.....Now, my question is, does that look or appear if that were to be a TRUSTED SOLARIS or Trusted HP-UX operating system? Because if you notice and lookk closely, theres a green labeling stripe at teh top of the screenshot windows frame. Can this be a Trusted UNIX OS because of the green labeling scheme at the top that may indicate a TOP SECRET or a UNCLASSIFIED workstation session?

Is there a special tool I can use to make that screenshot less blurry?

[edit on 15-5-2006 by infoconalpha1]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Does anybody had looked at the screenshots of those terminals??? Are there running UNIX or Windows NT? And what mapping program do they use?

Thanks

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I'm running Solaris, IRIX, Linux, and OpenBSD myself.

In the PDF file you linked, the small screenshot on page 34 scrolling bars looks alot like Solaris CDE but I can't see any frame around the windows so I'm not sure what this thing is running. KDE possibly?

On page 14, I don't know, maybe they are running STOP operating system on XTS-400 computer? A kind of secured Linux-like system approved by NSA for classified data.

On a unrelated note, funny how the guy sitting at the left in the picture on page 14 looks like he's wearing a cloaking suit making him invisible.

I would not be surprised if the satellite maps displayed on those monitors were generic AMSAT software freely downloadable from some place on the internet. The reason I'm saying that is because that is what they have done in a Washington Post photo-op at NSA's .quarters, notice the 'super-secret' monitors in the background they displayed the Talisker website, when the photographer is gone they load the real military software not to be seen by prying eyes.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Also. If guys go to PAGE 9...There is a this diagram called "OF THE BMDS". Then, below this diagram theres a screen shot of a world map called under it, (the 4th smaller screenshot on the far right thats titled: "NATIONAL MILITARY COMMAND CENTER" Its on the far RIGHT, its the 4th one to the right.....Now, my question is, does that look or appear if that were to be a TRUSTED SOLARIS or Trusted HP-UX operating system? Because if you notice and look closely, theres a green labeling stripe at the top of the screenshot window frame. Can this be a Trusted UNIX OS because of the green labeling scheme at you will notice at the top that may indicate a TOP SECRET or a UNCLASSIFIED workstation session?

Can someone explain if thats really a Trusted Solaris system..I cannot really tell because its too blurry and thats why on one of my threads, I asked if this picture can be made any clearer than what I see...

thanks!!!

And what mapping program do they use? Your saying there using AMSAT?

[edit on 16-5-2006 by infoconalpha1]

[edit on 16-5-2006 by infoconalpha1]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
So knowbody actually knows for sure what operating systems they use on those maps? UNIX? Windows 2000/NT maybe...perhaps??

later

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
ufia,

Im dual-booting with Win2000/Solaris 10 on Intel....Are you just running Solaris by itself? Or, are you also dual-booting with Windows?

Also you posted that your also running OpenBSD...How is it? I was almost tempted to install it myself long time ago but I chickened-out....Solaris is very cool and great having the CDE Desktop enviroment on it....Its very light and less bloat than SUSE linux and WinXP....

So I guess know one knows what OS these guys are running uh?? Oh well. I guess its custom made. But I would like to know what mapping software are there using? At least.

thanks

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I guess this forum is not really active....

Howver, personally, I think Google Earth is more accurate than what these people have in the screenshots. Google Earth is more topographical than those maps on their terminals...anyway...

Those map screens are like from the 60's and 70's still I am willing to bet.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I would just like to confirm on what type of mapping software that these guys use on the screenshots?

Please??

I would appreciate it..

apc

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Half of those shots look like TVM. Old BSD junkie here.
I wouldn't put much thought into what 'mapping software' theyre using. It looks to be pretty generic sat tracking. You could probably find a java applet on nasa.gov showing a similar picture.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Whats TVM??

ALso I would like to confirm on what OS there using? Could be HP-UX? UNIX? Solaris? Or even Windows NT?

What softwware can you recommend for getting a clearer shots of those pictures?

apc

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
TVM is just a window manager for X86. Fairly simple, just the basics.

As far as the OS, I dont think you'll find any better answer than what's already been posted. If they're Sun machines, theyre running Solaris. If theyre SGI, it's IRIX. If they're PC's, probably NT or WFWG.

As far as a better picture... probably would need a better camera.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Even Google Earth has far more betrter topology photos than these..Dont you think?

apc

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I haven't looked at the PDF referenced, but if you're just talking about the shots posted to the thread... then yes. But just because those arent topographical maps... they are orbital trajectory charts.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Where can I get this similar to one they have? Is it called AMSAT or something?

[edit on 5/17/06 by infoconalpha1]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join