It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Garlic Is Toxic ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Just a quick question: has anyone of you EVER run across similar information, concerning garlic and its alledged neurotoxicity?

Source
The reason garlic is so toxic, the sulphone hydroxyl ion penetrates the blood-brain barrier, just like DMSO, and is a specific poison for higher-life forms and brain cells. We discovered this, much to our horror, when I (Bob Beck, DSc) was the world's largest manufacturer of ethical EEG feedback equipment.

We'd have people come back from lunch that looked clinically dead on an encephalograph, which we used to calibrate their progress. "Well, what happened?" "Well, I went to an Italian restaurant and there was some garlic in my salad dressing!" So we had them sign things that they wouldn't touch garlic before classes or we were wasting their time, their money and my time.

I guess some of you who are pilots or have been in flight tests...I was in flight test engineering in Doc Hallan's group in the 1950's. The flight surgeon would come around every month and remind all of us: "Don't you dare touch any garlic 72 hours before you fly one of our airplanes, because it'll double or triple your reaction time. You're three times slower than you would be if you'd not had a few drops of garlic."

is this correct in any way???

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This article was originally printed in www.nexusmagazine.com... in 1996. Take a look at that site.

NEXUS is an international bi-monthly alternative news magazine, covering the fields of: Health Alternatives; Suppressed Science; Earth's Ancient Past; UFOs & the Unexplained; and Government Cover-Ups.

It sounds like a Magazine version of this website and should not be taken as any kind of Authority.

mod edit:
Quote Reference (review link)
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ** (review link)

[edit on 16-5-2006 by UK Wizard]

Uma

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I haven't seen any reliable evidence of these claims. I know that too much garlic is a bad thing for small animals (birds, cats etc) and may lead to death. It does kill germs, intestinal worms, etc.

However, we humans take a lot of toxins regularly (e.g. I had 2 beers yesterday) that can kill us. I would theorize that it would take a lot of garlic to kill a person.

I have eaten large quantities of garlic on one occasion. I did feel that I ate too much, and I felt a bit drunk. However, that may not be neurotoxicity per se, but rather that it was killing off germs or releasing toxins into the bloodsteam for removal by the liver or whatnot. I had bad breath too.

My conclusion is wait and see if there are any major publications saying the same thing, and that garlic probably does more good than bad.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I used to eat cloves of garlic by the handful when I was little, so I highly doubt garlic could be considered a serious toxin... could be a mild toxin, though. As Uma said:

"...we humans take a lot of toxins regularly..."

I don't think one could count the amount of toxins one ingests throughout the course of one day, with all the chemicals added to foods, medications, and legal 'drugs' such as alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I take a garlic pill everyday, I hope it won't kill me.

Here is a site with facts about Garlic.

-- Boat

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that along with health benefits there are some toxic properties and risks associated with garlic. But it has been a food ingredient for millenia, in very different nations around the world, and I can't imagine that a significant toxic effect would go unnoticed for that long.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
In the mediterranean food, garlic is considered a very healthy thing to eat.
it's present in almost all the food recepies and salads.

I doubt that kills
me and many others would be dead already.

It is also said that's good for the hearth but not for the breath

Peace
Crustas

[edit on 15-5-2006 by crustas]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Just a word here on medications...

THink about this...
much of what we take daily for health, is a toxin...

anything can have toxic dose levels...

in small amounts, it is a toxin to what ails ya... in larger doses it is a toxin to ya.

in garlic, i have heard that Garlic can kill a cat in very small amounts...
but some holistic cat medications have garlic in them..

(when the vet found out, he actually came out and pulled all of them off the shelves at petsmart, and told the manager to call him regarding petsmarts attempt to poison the publics cats... he was that upset)

So, ask 10 doctors, and 10 vets, and then 10 italians...
when you ask the italians, remember to DUCK!

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Thanx for the replies, probably just an urban legend, but better to sound like a fool than be one, right?

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 03:56 AM
link   
i'd rather quit drinking than quit eating garlic. and that's saying something. garlic has never been the cause of a fight between me and my fiance. i've never had trouble driving hom after eating garlic. i've never gotten laid specifically because i bought a girl some garlic. but i'll be damned if i'm gonna stop eating it just coz it's supposed to kill me (which it won't)

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Well, over here in Spain a lot of garlic is being consumed, and I can tell you from first hand experience, that it doesn´t seem to influence the general population either way. About reaction time though, that would be another matter.

Could explain the Siësta phenomenon.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I love garlic.

Garlics benefits outweigh any possible toxic effects. Everything you eat has toxins to a certain level in them. The difference between tonic and toxin is really in amounts.

i dont care if they said garlic makes you grow three heads. id never give up eating the stuff.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
i would have to say that its just an urban legend... since I am of Italian descent and I've eaten enough garlic to kill an melephant(if the story was true).. and im still kickin... nice find but im sure its false.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Whatever it is , it is toxic if you consume too much. Drink too much water will kill you!

Everybody is eating garlic!

This type of news is really BS, a waste of time, and I am a dumb to waste my time responding this type of news.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
garlic is good. it makes me feel stoned

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by CinLung
Everybody is eating garlic!

I'm not!!!

I haven't eaten garlic since I was little and I found that it gave me stomach cramps and massive headaches. Even the smell of someone cooking with garlic gives me a headache. I've wondered in the past whether this would count as an allergy but never bothered to check with a GP.

oh.... Don't worry though, I have a reflection so defo not a vampire

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I've used garlic medicinally and liberally for about 15 years. I used to have a very bad case of candiddiasis (this is the same fungus that causes vaginal infections, but it becomes sytemic and you have it everywhere in your body, especially your stomach which is quite painful.)

Garlic is the best thing I've ever found for it. It works great on fungus, i.e. it can cure athlete's foot, vaginal infections, jock itch and candidiasis. It works faster than any prescription drug I've ever found. I still get vaginal infections so I still use it ALOT. It is truly a wonder "drug" and cures many, many things. I've studied it extensively and I really doubt it is toxic.

To the person who felt a little drunk: If you had any candida yeast in your body, the garlic begins to dissipate the candida fungus and as it clears your system, it creates an effect that is exactly like being drunk. So if you took alot of garlic for a few days you probably wouldn't have the drunk effect.

The editor of Nexus magazine is a member here at ATS - IIRC his screen name is Nexus. You may want to ask him about this, as he ran the article on garlic.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

We'd have people come back from lunch that looked clinically dead on an encephalograph, which we used to calibrate their progress. "Well, what happened?" "Well, I went to an Italian restaurant and there was some garlic in my salad dressing!" So we had them sign things that they wouldn't touch garlic before classes or we were wasting their time, their money and my time.

Here Dr Robert Beck (RIP) is referring to people that have used his 'electrification of the blood' method to try and cure them from terminal illnesses. According to Dr Beck whenever people used his electrical device he warned them to drink plenty of water and not to take certain substances (eg garlic, coffee, alcohol, drugs etc) while using the device as it has a tendency to multiply the effects of the substance by 20 fold.
After researching Dr Beck quite vigorously, I tend to believe what he has to say as he has no reason to lie whatsoever. Besides, if I didn't believe in him I never would have found a cheap way to grow my hair back (was starting to lose some on top). In my opinion Dr Robert Beck was a genuine patriot so I strongly urge people to spend some time researching him. Having said that, I don't go out of my way to avoid consuming garlic (unless I'm using the device).
Garlic is a powerful natural healer anyway but it still can be toxic for some,
and especially toxic for colds, nasty germs etc. Perhaps it does kill some brain cells too though. Who knows? Dr Beck seemed to think so. Dr Beck also talks about another 'use' for garlic but I won't mention it here in case it is true and someone gets a silly idea into their head.

[edit on 28-6-2008 by cams]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Garlic, onions, leeks, and ramps all contain amounts of chemicals that do considerably alter brainwave patterns to something quite chaotic and the opposite of the kind of coherence many seek.

In Islamic and Druze tradition, when Satan first stepped out of the Garden of Eden, the first place the Satan stepped garlic sprung up and the second place the Satan stepped onions sprung up.

You will find this tale told in some other cultures too and as always the order of garlic then onions could be switched with onions first, garlic later.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Toxicity is a function of dose or amount, not substance. Everything is toxic and nothing is toxic. Arsenic is toxic right? But trace amounts natuaally occur in drinking water which we all drink with no toxic effects... so at what point does injestion of arsenic become toxic. (function of dose). One clove of garlic is not toxic, but if you ate 50 in one sitting, you would certainly get ill (toxic effect). A single tablet of Tylenol is not toxic, but if you injest 100 tablets, your liver would be destryoed (toxic effect). Think of toxicity in terms of dose and not the agent itself.

PharmD student

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join