It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents sue video game company over childs suicide

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Its the parents fault. Anyway why the hell would you play a single game for 36 hours... kid was already pretty #'d up if he was on that much.... Also the parents should have done something about him playing 36 hours.... I mean my parents get pissed off over 3 hours... I didn't see the full article but despite nygdans quote I bet he did it over some relationship he was having over the game... and wow is not gory I own the game... THere is no blood... zombies yes but blood no... Anyway how did he get away with that... My record is 4 hours when my parents were gone.... actually 9 a long time ago on the gameboy when I was supposed to be asleep... If a kid can play a game for over 12 hours than the parents should automatically be charged of neglect because its obvious they dont care about the kid and just want him/her to shut up so they can go get drunk or go to a club or something like that... whatever you adults do anyway...
Edit: even if they were out for that amount of time, which they shouldn't they could have kept tabs on him when by calling him or something... I can see how 36 hours of that could drive you insane.... I guess... still...

[edit on 6/1/06 by TristanBW9456]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Yeah.. kids have been left in the car due to their parents needing to get on Everquest and not having enough time to get the kids outta the car (oops). And it does happen.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
can someone give me a better outline of the article or post the whole thing because it doesn't show up for me. Thanks

now for more of my cruel world syndrom as it is called which actually is supposed to be a result of video games but IMBO it comes from paying more attention to the world than the tabloids.

What the hell has the world come to... I mean dang.... 36 hours... hell if the kid was neglected for that long then he had a good reason to kill himself... Things like this are horrible... I guess things like this have happened all over... but just now the news of them travels faster...

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It's obvious that the suicide had nothing to do with the game. Quite simply, that just served as escapism.. and had nothing to do with the fact his real life was unbareable. I'm suprised at some of you crackpot parents who immediately blame the game, or the violence. :shk:

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
You cant go and blame the video game. That may have helped the poor kid go and maybe have a psuedo life. No video game can make someone commit suicide without extraordinary external circumstances which would alone account for suicide. People say that they cause a "cruel world syndrome" as mentioned in my earlier post and this is actually caused by those of us (of the same group, cast out by others and left only with video games and politics) Pay attention to whats going on in the world.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Its not the companies fault, its the parents AND the childs. Did Blizzard do anything, NO. It was the child b/c he did it. And also how could Blizzard be responsible when thousands, or even millions of people play it and never had that problem. I know when I play it, I dont feel like killing myself. If it made everyone feel like that then it would be the companies fault. And for the parents, they should take better care of their child, not so much for letting him play as long but thats still a main factor but having him not play as much in frequency. Make him go outside and play with friends and do other stuff than games b/c that will just make them grow up to only want to play games, no job and mouch off of their parents.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Of course it was the Video Game that killed the kid. Of course his parents are not too blame. Why would they be?

Just the same as a pub or club landlord is responsible for a drunk driving a car;

Just the same as Playboy causing men to rape women and kids;

Just the same as toy guns causes kids the shoot up their school;

Just the same as Harry Potter causes kids to dabble in Black Magic.

It's about time that we started to kick these whinging cretins up the
arse and blow all these ambulance chasing lawyers in to the nearest asylum where they all belong.

Another thing.......................... if somebody actually had the
balls to stand up to the loony PC brigade, we wouldn't be in this kind of mess today!

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
What a total n00b.

omg yes

Seriously though, I tend to game pretty hardcore at times, but 36 hours is just wrong. If parents cant find a way to take a game away from a kid, then the parents need to think. My parents would simply take the game / computer away if I played it all day, and it worked.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I love gaming - Unreal Tournament GoTYE; GRAW; The Regiment; Sniper Elite to name but a few - but 36 hours? Straight?

My record is 6 hours playing Call of Duty 2 but I guess Im unlucky, 'cause I don't have a Mum to chase me off my computer.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Allowing a child to play a game for 36 hours, regardless of game content, is absolute irresponsibility on the part of the parent. There is no excuse for not knowing what your kid is doing for 36 hours. People have gotten sue-happy over the past 10 years... Let's all just sue for everything and never have to accept the fact that there are things in life we have to accept responsibility for. If that had been my son, yes I'd be horrified, upset, angry, and emotionally distraught. But I don't see how they can blame it on a game when they are the ones who didn't know what their kid was doing for 36 hours.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join