It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rove indicted in Plame leak case (truthout.org rumor)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady

Originally posted by jsobecky
Once again, we see an example of a false thread title being allowed to "live". Now, Rove very well may be indicted, but this is jumping the gun, pure and simple.

I have been reading the Truthout site for 6 years now and I have always found it to be truthful and oftentimes gets the news first. William Rivers Pitts, the site's owner is a writer and college teacher who quit his job to start the news site, believing that the People had a right to know what is really going on with their gov't. He often goes right to Washington DC and talks to his contacts there, which are numerous.

If you read it on Truthout, it's for real.

jsobecky is right. The fact is, Rove has yet to be indicted, making the title of this thread incorrect, technically if not absolutely.
Also, I have yet to see any news source that doesn't attribute this "indictment claim" to Jason Leopold, the author that submitted the original story to Truthout.

And you may have a high opinion of Truthout, but I do not. Primarily, they recycle other people's news. If their report turns out to be wrong (and several have - just like any other news source) they can blame it on the original source of the story. They did something like that with a story they ran with that originally came from Capitol Hill Blue concerning some "inside info" about Bush knowing beforehand that his info in the African uranium (tempest in a teapot) was false. Capitol Hill Blue retracted the information the next day, and removed reference to it from their archived story. Truthout's action? Here:

Yesterday, truthout's lead story carried an article by Capitol Hill Blue that quoted a 'CIA insider.' This insider, a Terrance J. Wilkinson, was reportedly present at two briefings when Bush was informed of, and then dismissed, evidence that his Iraq WMD claims were false. Capitol Hill Blue has run a retraction of that story, which we have printed below. According to Doug Thompson, author of the original story, Terrance J. Wilkinson does not exist, and Thompson has been getting scammed for over 20 years. Something about this story is decidedly strange, but in light of Thompson's retraction, we would be remiss not to run it. I am running down my contacts at CIA and Capitol Hill Blue to find out how all of this took place. We will let you know when we know. - wrp
My emphasis. Source:
www.truthout.org...
Not Earthshaking, exactly. My point is that Truthout tries here to attribute Doug Thompson's retraction to some kind of sinister conspiracy (see bolded portion above).
Also, it's significant that three years later, "WRP" has yet to "let us know."

Additionally I didn't like the way this Leopold guy tried to manufacture news out of nothing [url=http://www.truthout.org/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/48/16920]with this story on a declassified NSA _/url]:

Bush Authorized Domestic Spying Before 9/11
By Jason Leopold
t r u t h o u t | Perspective

Friday 13 January 2006

The National Security Agency advised President Bush in early 2001 that it had been eavesdropping on Americans during the course of its work monitoring suspected terrorists and foreigners believed to have ties to terrorist groups, according to a declassified document.

The "classified document" is linked in that story. It's a PDF file which I downloaded at the time. There's nothing in the document to imply anything that this article says about Bush. The document itself, on page one, states that it is "derived from" another report that is dated February 1998. IOW, though Leopold makes it look like there's some sinister plot by Bush that has been revealed in a declassified NSA doccument, in fact his entire story relies once again on "unnamed sources," precisely like the Rove one we see here today.

I agree with the "RedState" website in that, if Rove is indicted, it will stem from investigative activities, and not from the CIA leak case per se. So, what we have here, is an investigation set up to trap people that would lie to the investigation. Not unlike basically every single other federal investigation of anything else.

Harte

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
I have been reading the Truthout site for 6 years now and I have always found it to be truthful and oftentimes gets the news first. William Rivers Pitts, the site's owner is a writer and college teacher who quit his job to start the news site, believing that the People had a right to know what is really going on with their gov't. He often goes right to Washington DC and talks to his contacts there, which are numerous.

If you read it on Truthout, it's for real.

My objection has noting to do with the source. As I mentioned, Rove very well may be indicted.

My objection is to the false title. Unless and until it is made a fact, it is misleading and unprofessional for someone to make the statement, and for someone to allow it to remain.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   

what we have here, is an investigation set up to trap people that would lie to the investigation.

Perhaps it would behoove this administration to stop lying then? As disgusted as I am with the left, I'm still shocked and awed by the fact that the "entrapment to perjury" defense is being given any credibility by the right.

OK, so when asked about this case, White House officials keep lying.
2 possibilities:

1. They have something to hide. (hey wait a minute, that sounds familiar. Let me say it with a Texas accent... OH! Now I remember, that's why the war in Iraq is OK. The inability to prove anything merely proves that something is being hidden!)

2. They are compulsive liars. They open their mouth to tell a harmless little truth that will exhonerate them, and a pack of lies just involuntary form and spew from their lips like a ruptured sewer line.

Neither of these "defenses" of the administration exactly does them any favors. So, my friends, hijackers of my party, X-cons, Neo-cons, whatever you are... which is it? Did you pass up John McCain in 2000 to run a staff that's so neurotic from past coke abuse that they can't contain the compulsive urge to lie, or did this administration do something wrong?

Frankly I prefer the Rush Limbaugh defense of Nixon. I'm cool with that, come out and say it. "Of course he was a crook, just like everyone else, but he still did more good than most of the guys who never got caught." I wouldn't say that about Bush actually, but I'd respect you if you would. Being naive when it comes to policy is understandable. Gullibility is something else.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
From the Truthout Story:

The word "business" has been added.

During the course of that meeting, Fitzgerald served attorneys for former Deputy White House Chief of Staff Karl Rove with an indictment charging the embattled White House official with perjury and lying to investigators related to his role in the CIA leak case, and instructed one of the attorneys to tell Rove that he has 24 business hours to get his affairs in order, high level sources with direct knowledge of the meeting said Saturday morning.

Important Update

In point of fact, those 24 hours are "business hours," i.e. starting on Monday.
To be fair, a dozen eyes looked at that article yesterday before we published it, mine included, and none of us caught that. The word "business" has been inserted into the story after "hours" where it belongs:
So. Monday at the very earliest, but more like Tuesday or Wednesday.

Worth Noting...

...that no one from Rove's camp, the White House or the GOP in general, has offered any kind of public and/or written denial of the Leopold report. Nada. Zip.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   

...that no one from Rove's camp, the White House or the GOP in general, has offered any kind of public and/or written denial of the Leopold report. Nada. Zip.

How to Keep Your Opponent Off-Kilter101
Make statements, allegations, and accusations about them and keep them pre-occupied standing before a press corps, answering you and defending themselves.

Every politician in D.C. knows that tactic, and does not schedule a press conference until they have all their ducks lined up in a row.

It's a duck thing.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Well, Jsobecky, i dont know about the rest of them, but i can wait till Wednesday for the story to get out!! No problem!

It looks like Cheney has run into a bit of trouble himself..

[edit on 14-5-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Jason Leopold's Update to the Rove Indictment story.

I am amazed that the blogosphere would lend credence to the statements of people who have consistently lied about Rove’s role in this case. This is a White House that denied Rove’s involvement in the leak. This is a White House that has lied and lied and lied. And yet the first question that people ask is “why would Rove’s spokesman lie?” Because they can, because they do, and because they have...

Jason Leopold
We also have word that Joe Wilson, Valerie Plame's husband, also heard the same report of Rove's indictment.

I guess we shall see...

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Or is the Rove indictment story a Hoax?

Despite right wing media and blogosphere accusations, Jason Leopold has been a reliable source for some time. For now, I am willing to take it on faith that he has numerous well placed sources that did in fact tell him that Karl Rove had been indicted. As a journalist for Truthout ( www.truthout.org... ), Jason has broken numerous stories ahead of the rest of the media which up until now have all proven to be true.

I don't think so, but it is a possibility.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
It will be interesting to find out. Rove, as usual, had a grin on his face today on tv.

I think its just they dont plain care. Something big this way comes, my friends.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The latest on this

www.opednews.com...

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
As hungry fish to fresh bait...

Dearest Readers:

“Truthout” is not quite the most trusted news source in our bloglines list. So, while they did announce on Saturday that Karl Rove has been indicted, we’re not particularly inclined to believe it, especially as it is now Monday, and not even Raw Story has picked it up. Sorry, better luck with your next bout of wishful (if slightly likely) speculation.

Karl Rove Indicted, Everyone With a Blog to Get Their Own Unicorn

Poor Leopold....
I am wondering how Hillary Clinton is going to take this after her standing ovation of the yet-to-come-to-fruition news?

seekerof

[edit on 15-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
But I came across an interesting take on Rove's involvement in Plamegate. I find it fascinating that he was scheduled to speak at the American Enterprise Institute while these rumors have been swirling about. And of course, if it weren't true, why hasn't Mr. Rove's lawyer called for libel against Mr. Leopold? Of course, such an accusation would be damaging to his character, would it not?

Karl Rove: Foggy memory or fabrications?

WASHINGTON -- Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald is wrapping up his investigation into White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove's role in the CIA leak case by weighing this central question:

Did Rove, who was deeply involved in defending President Bush's use of pre-Iraq war intelligence, lie about a key conversation with a reporter that was meant to rebut a tough White House critic?

Fitzgerald, sources close to the case said, is reviewing testimony from Rove's five appearances before the grand jury. President Bush's top political strategist has argued that he never intentionally misled the grand jury about his role in leaking information about undercover CIA officer Valerie Plame to Time Magazine reporter Matthew Cooper in July 2003. Rove testified that he simply forgot about the conversation when he failed to disclose it in earlier testimony.

Fitzgerald is weighing Rove's foggy-memory defense against evidence he has acquired or accumulated over nearly 2½ years that shows Rove was very involved in White House efforts to beat back allegations that Bush twisted U.S. intelligence to justify the Iraq war, according to sources involved in the case.

Whether or not the story is true, time will tell.

But on the other hand, there's those notes from Mr. Cheney Mr. Fitzgerald decided to file as evidence.

Somebody's head is going to roll, one way or the other.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
Somebody's head is going to roll, one way or the other.

Keep with the wishful thinking and talking, because if it was me, I would literally bust Truthout.org and Leopold with a substantial slander suit, bet!

In all your research based commentaries there, ceci2006, did you happen to do a bit of digging on Jason Leopold? Try this:

A strange thing has happened over the course of the past year. Whenever I search the name of either Karl Rove or Patrick Fitzgerald in Google News, another name keeps popping up, JASON LEOPOLD, who appears as the reporter of some amazing (but wildly inaccurate) insider information on the CIA "Leak" case. Often Jason Leopold appears as the SOLE source of information which NO OTHER reporter has been able to unearth. So who is this intrepid reporter that is constantly on top of the CIA "Leak" case ("Leak" in quotations since it is NOT a crime to reveal the name of a non-covert CIA worker, thus no "Leak")? Well, according to HOWARD KURTZ of the Washington Post, Jason Leopold is a former coc aine addict who has admitted to lying, cheating and backstabbing. In addition, Leopold has served time for grand larceny, has attempted suicide, and has battled mental illness his whole life. WHEW! But wait, there's MORE! Leopold's credibility is so shot through with holes that the publisher, Rowland & Littlefield, cancelled his book, "Off the Record," just days before it was due to go to press. But wait...there's STILL MORE! Leopold was also fired by the Los Angeles Times for threatening to rip a reporter's head off. Leopold already shaky credibility suffered even more when Salon retracted its story authored by Jason Leopold about a Bush admininstration official saying that it couldn't (surprise, surprise) authenticate the piece.

Jason Leopold Steals Pied Piper Pitt's Fitzmas

Need a little more?

So now that Jason Leopold has been thoroughly discredited, where can he turn to in order to get his fiction published? To Pied Piper Pitt's Truthout.Org site of course. For the past few months, Truthout has become the headquarters for Jason Leopold's Fitzmas fiction tales. The latest piece of Leopold fiction was proudly promoted by Pied Piper Pitt in this DUmmie THREAD titled, "Jason Leopold: Target Letter Drives Rove Back to Grand Jury (full story)." In this exclusive Truthout "scoop," Jason Leopold proclaimed that "I confirmed with sources close to the investigation that Rove did in fact receive a target letter," and that "My sources maintain that Rove is a target and that Luskin understood that." Only one "little" problem here. Neither Karl Rove nor his lawyer, Luskin, received target letters as was revealed soon after this Pitt post. OOOPS! As a result, Leopold had to issue a lame RETRACTION in which he says the story still COULD be true because Luskin wouldn't return his phone call.

Talk about pre-party celebrations, untimely standing ovations, and credibility issues, huh?

If anyone's head is going to roll, you might want to watch for this Jason Leopold character's head to be rolling before Rove's or anyone else connected to 'Plamegate,' you think?

seekerof

[edit on 16-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
FLASH: If someone hasnt seen my thread, here goes. www.abovetopsecret.com...'

"The story is a complete fabrication," the spokesman for Mr. Rove, Mark Corallo, told The New York Sun. "It is both malicious and disgraceful."

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Well, perhaps you're right, Seekerof. Maybe it will be Leopold's head rolling across the pavement. After all, he might have been an attention seeker.

Believe me, when I did the digging last night, I gathered both sides of the story. And I carry with it cautious scrutiny.

Hence, when I said, "Only time will tell whether the story is true."

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
That is the point. Time will tell. As a good citizen, i've already posted the WH's response to this. Its an abomination according to them.

We will see.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Or in this case, the veracity in reporting? Monday has come and gone... Karl has yet to be "frog marched" from the White House... And the indictment hopefuls have grown silent.

Maybe they meant next Monday?

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
dg, this is for you:

You had the honesty and integrity to bring the update to our attention. I know that you still despise Rove, but that didn't stop you from doing the right thing.

ATS needs more members with your character.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
dg, this is for you:

You had the honesty and integrity to bring the update to our attention. I know that you still despise Rove, but that didn't stop you from doing the right thing.

ATS needs more members with your character.
How sweet!
Thank you!

And yes...if he did something wrong i'd like to see him indicted. Is it Wednesday already? Maybe something will break soon. Doesnt he remind you of Elmer Fudd? (I couldnt help myself)

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I do think it is a bit premature to assume that Karl Roves' (mr King of the liars) hired spokesliar would actually tell the truth... regarding an indictment

Have they actually checked the judicial record to see what is up? or is that under gag order also?

I think it is kinda funny anyway...
the WH has paid spokeliars that get caught in lies all the time...
Karl Rove has to lie to save his butt, but yet, people trust what he says...

I will wait to see what emerges...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join