It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bibles Banned From Hospitals In Australia

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It's about time that someone removed these books as I do believe they present a health risk. I also have to admit that I get tired of seeing them myself.

However, (and I can't believe that I am about to say this!) I can see why the Christians feel upset. I am a Unitarian and it is against my religion to recruit. I can't place literature from my church in hospitals, hotels, etc. Christians are required to proselytize though. If I believed that I had to either "spread the word" or face eternal damnation, I would feel pretty put out at anyone who tried to stop me.

So, as a human I can empathise with the Christians. As a non-Christian I am hoping that other hospitals join in. As a Unitarian, I would volunteer to bring any literature (Satanic, Quran, Torah, Watch Tower, Tao, Dama Pada, Bible, etc) to anyone who asked - be they in hospital, prison, their own home, or anywhere else - and I think that most Unitarians would do the same if they were asked.

So, I think that if a Christian were in the hospital and called a local church and said, "I am in the hospital and I need someone to bring a Bible to me," someone would show up with one - am I wrong?

edit because another thought just struck me:

Do these hospitals in Australia have chapels?
Most all hospitals in the US have chapels and some form of clergy on call. Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the clergy to distribute Bibles to those who request them?

[edit on 5/14/06 by wellwhatnow]

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prot0nI fail to see the issue.

Satanist's don't view Satan as a bad guy. Christians do. FFS, I can't find anything in the christian bible that would lead me to think Satan is the bad guy. I can find plenty of examples of the christian god however doing some pretty nasty BS. What's Satan done? Rebeled against god and gave mankind knowledge. O. M. F. G. That bastard! To hell he goes!

The only, ONLY thing I can find in the bible is christian propaganda against him. They say he does thing's or lies about stuff. Yet nothing written of what he actually has done other then the above mentioned thing. God on the other hand ... damn that guy needs to get laid. Or atleast remove the stick. It's been way up there for way to long.

Or to put it in other words, Satanists worship "Satan" for the things Christianity denies its followers, mainly the human ego and desires for various forms of stimuli. I agree to a certain extent with what the Satanic Bible "teaches", but it just goes too far at times. It's all common sense added some biased uber ego stuff that isnt neccesary. Kinda like the Bible. And what the hell is up with that "Magik" crap.

To sum it all up, go for something in between, or nothing at all, it is the same thing. I say again: Use your brain, you're born with it.

And don't take # from Bibles in drawers, equlity doesn't involve only the ones who demand their texts, it also goes for the ones who don't want them.

[edit on 14-5-2006 by Panzeroth]

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I can understand why this policy will upset christians as they, like other religions, are an egocentric bunch. I also understand the human dynamics of unconsciously forcing one's beliefs upon another without the hint of aforethought. When the non believer complains about the unconscious assumption that christians are always right and nonbelievers are not, christians are astounded by the reaction since their egocentricism is an integral part of their personality.
The fact is that fundamentalist christians, and that's where the complaint really is since the normal christians don't engage in this unconscious (or conscious in far too many cases) proselytizing that makes fundies soo boorish. Our country is, one hopes, beginning to swing back toward center and leaving the radical findies way out on the right limb where they are happy.
Good riddance. I say take the bibles out and provide them and any other book of fiction, when requested.

sayswho (skep by any other name)

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prot0n
Satanist's don't view Satan as a bad guy. Christians do. FFS, I can't find anything in the christian bible that would lead me to think Satan is the bad guy. I can find plenty of examples of the christian god however doing some pretty nasty BS. What's Satan done? Rebeled against god and gave mankind knowledge. O. M. F. G. That bastard! To hell he goes!

Let's see, he led the Fallen to Earth, and created what, my spin worshipping Friend?

he......

Produced Giants
Produced the Titans
Began Human Sacrafice
Is the father of Cain and his Family line, the Cainite.
Introduced Pride, Jealousy, and a litany of Vices
Started Human Sacrafice and Child Molestation
Inspired Greed, Envy, Truthlessness, Deciet
Desolated the enviornment and stewardship of the globe and it's resources
Has slack Work Habits

Look at what your most holy did to poor old Job. Took everything and killed his family, just to show his ignoarane of what Faith truly is. Despite the best he could throw at 1 mere man, he couldn't win. he has become accustomed to that though. It is a regular occurance.

And just to let you know, he will not win in the end. he is the single Entity (Spirit, Angel, Nephelium, Man) that walked this planet, that has a Defined Destiny with Fate. That does make him quite unique in this respect though.

So if this is what is consider worthy attributes to praise and worship, then I am pleased to see, you take that position. You are more than welcomed to do so, and express this as you wish.

But note, please refrain from the foul language (using someone's God's name in vain), and hate speak hellbent on insulting other's beleifs and values.

You are entitled to believe as you wish, but you have no right to insult anyone.

Ciao

Shane

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   

[cough]Catholic priests[/cough]

Aren't these the ones who are supposed to forward God's Word to the common man? I don't even need links to refer to as these incidents take place so often!

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Originally posted by truthseeka

Why roll your eyes at this?

This further leads me to believe you would not actually support a Satanic bible or a Koran laying next to you as you lay sick in a hospital.

Smileys...

The smiley I wanted to use was this one:
but it came out as
instead. Big deal.

Actually if I were to lay sick in a hospital, I think I would prefer to have an issue of Playboy laying next to me. But maybe that's just me...

[edit on 2006/5/14 by Hellmutt]

That's not a bad pick at all.
It reminds me of this one bit in Chris Rock's bigger and blacker.

It's the part where he's talking about giving a dying kid a table dance instead of having him meet an athlete or something. After they ask the kid if he wants to meet the guy, he says, "no, I want some big ole titties in my face."

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panzeroth

[cough]Catholic priests[/cough]

Aren't these the ones who are supposed to forward God's Word to the common man? I don't even need links to refer to as these incidents take place so often!

Hello Friend

You should see a doctor about that cough.

An Example of your remark of course can be found in the Aztec and Incan Cultures of Mexico, that bathed their temples in Human blood, and pitched the corpes as they saw fit.

Or those Phoenicians, with those practices of holy prostitution and child sacrifice.

Yeah, that sound like Catholics had something to do with this.

800 to at least 3000 Years ago.

Your funny

But on a serious side, those, who may have done such things, deserve a similiar fate as the previously noted piece of work.

Ciao

Shane

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shane

Let's see, he led the Fallen to Earth, and created what, my spin worshipping Friend?

he......

Produced Giants
Produced the Titans
Began Human Sacrafice
Is the father of Cain and his Family line, the Cainite.
Introduced Pride, Jealousy, and a litany of Vices
Inspired Greed, Envy, Truthlessness, Deciet
Desolated the enviornment and stewardship of the globe and it's resources
Has slack Work Habits

Ciao

Shane

Huh?

I didn't know Satan can create stuff. So, these giants (which I'm sure existed
) were bad why? And I thought Titans were from Greco-Roman mythology? I don't recall him starting human sacrifice, but I do recall bible god "testing" that one guy to sacrifice his kid.

I thought Cain's father was Adam?
I thought bible god himself is jealous? As for the environment, didn't bible god flood the ENTIRE PLANET? And with Job, didn't bible god tell Satan to do that stuff to him on a BET?

Did Satan kill the Israelites on numerous occasions? Did he kill a bunch of gays? Did he kill a bunch of first born kids? Hmm...

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The word Titan is derived from the Chaldean "Shaitan". Therefore the Titans were the giants of Genesis 6 (why they were often associated with devils in the Greco-Roman pantheoon in my opinion).

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
GOOD,

Cause just say you are Muslim or jewish ?. So ether put all religious books in the draws or have none its that simple !.

PS: im from Sydney and never seen a bible in any hospital

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Why are we still arguing over this subject. Its not our choice to whether we want those bibles readily available or not. Its the hospital choice not ours. Tired of Christian bibles then dont read it. Tired of seeing them in every hotel then too bad. Its their right to have bibles. Simple as that.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseekaHuh?

I didn't know Satan can create stuff. So, these giants (which I'm sure existed
) were bad why? And I thought Titans were from Greco-Roman mythology? I don't recall him starting human sacrifice, but I do recall bible god "testing" that one guy to sacrifice his kid.

I thought Cain's father was Adam?
I thought bible god himself is jealous? As for the environment, didn't bible god flood the ENTIRE PLANET? And with Job, didn't bible god tell Satan to do that stuff to him on a BET?

Did Satan kill the Israelites on numerous occasions? Did he kill a bunch of gays? Did he kill a bunch of first born kids? Hmm...

It's very simple. If someone does good stuff, he does it for God, because God = Good (ah NOW it makes sense!). If someone does bad stuff, he's possessed by Satan. The Catholic priests I refered to were obviously possessed by Satan, yet God let them reach their position because he was testing everybody else. God works in mysterious ways you know, and he keeps testing people all the time to make sure we don't forget that.

Originally posted by ShaneHello Friend

You should see a doctor about that cough.

An Example of your remark of course can be found in the Aztec and Incan Cultures of Mexico, that bathed their temples in Human blood, and pitched the corpes as they saw fit.

Or those Phoenicians, with those practices of holy prostitution and child sacrifice.

Yeah, that sound like Catholics had something to do with this.

800 to at least 3000 Years ago.

Your funny

But on a serious side, those, who may have done such things, deserve a similiar fate as the previously noted piece of work.

Ciao

Shane

Hey dude.
I should indeed, it has been bugging me for a couple weeks now, I think I got it the last weekend in my leave when I was back in Norway partying with my friends. Don't forget to wear a jacket when it's cold outside!

I'd hate to bust the bubble, but the Crucaders weren't exactly nice against other people either. A lot of things have been done in the name of Jesus Christ that we should probably be better off not knowing, yet it is one of the facts that help us understand that regardless of whichever cult you may be part of, your all-knowing love-spreading god, God, is still the result of a religion that has shed no less blod than the rest of the bunch. By your laws there can't possibly be many people inhabiting heaven. People in delial of a deity, like me, also have a history of violence and "sin", but the difference is that we admit the nature of the human being, both good and wrong, without blaming it on some "evil" force that we know reside inside us yet claim is only a trick from the good side to keep us focused on doing only good things. Providing money to the organizations that teach these good lessons, such as not having sex before marriage, not drinking beer, and going to church every Sunday for example are very very good and you'll probably not go to Hell if you do that.
Because if there is one word that can summarize all these religions, even the wrong ones, and that is Power. It was, it is, and it will always be.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
For the sake of clarity I must point out that it it highly unlikely that the greek word titan is derived from the chaldean word shaitan. For one thing Greece is no where near Chaldea. I really don't think the semetic languages had much influence on the ancient greek.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
This is complete rubbish in my opinion. Instead of banning bibles, why dont they offer other books for the other faiths as well? Makes more sense to me. In my opinion this was done to save the hospital money of having to buy a bunch of Korans, Torahs ect. Complete bull#. This isnt as much a PC issue as it is a dollar and cents issue.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 03:47 AM
link   
THis is utterly insane where this thread has gone to.

This is NOT news here! It was ONE article.

Ler me say this loud and clear.......Bibles are NOT BANNED IN HOSPITALS IN AUSTRALIA ! All the article said was that the Bible would no longer be in every room in the hospital free of charge. There is NOTHING stopping ANYONE staying in a hospital in any state of Australia asking for a free bible from the Gideons who would provide it , or asking the hospital chaplain to bring one in or asking their minister/pastor/whoever from bring one in or even bring in their own!

It's being introduced firstly as an infection control measure. The idea of wipable bibles is fine but while you can wipe the cover you cannot wipe the pages! THe other reason it's not being provided is that as a multi - secular society providing ONE religious tract may be deemed as offensive to those not of a christian faith.

You can bring in ANY RELIGIOUS READING MATTER YOU WANT INTO A HOSPITAL IN AUSTRALIA AND THAT INCLUDES THE BIBLE! The only difference is that the hospital themselves will not be providing it!

People, please try and understand this!

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Shane,

Can you provide specific verses? I've never seen anything written of him creating giants/titans or begining human sacrifice. Father of caine was Adam. Pride, jealousy etc are all natural human emotions, haven't seen anything in the bible either about Satan creating those. Everything you just said I've never seen written in the bible. Where's the genocide's and murders?

Look at what your most holy did to poor old Job. Took everything and killed his family, just to show his ignoarane of what Faith truly is. Despite the best he could throw at 1 mere man, he couldn't win. he has become accustomed to that though. It is a regular occurance.

My most holy?

And just to let you know, he will not win in the end. he is the single Entity (Spirit, Angel, Nephelium, Man) that walked this planet, that has a Defined Destiny with Fate. That does make him quite unique in this respect though.

Seeing as how the story is all man made garbage, I'm not sure what real significance this quote has.

So if this is what is consider worthy attributes to praise and worship, then I am pleased to see, you take that position. You are more than welcomed to do so, and express this as you wish.

The actions depicted by the god you worship are a hell of alot worse then what I've seen the actuall actions of Satan in the bible. I don't give a damn about the christian propaganda against Satan, I'd personally like to see some actions, on par with your god or worse then your god. Not sure if you can get much worse then genocide and near extinction of mankind.

But note, please refrain from the foul language (using someone's God's name in vain), and hate speak hellbent on insulting other's beleifs and values.

Sorry, I don't view god damn as foul language or an insult on other people's faith. But regardless, if the christians deem themselve's to have every right to display their idiotic religion in every which way they can, such as putting in god we trust on government money or sticking bibles in hotels and hospitals, then I have every right to say god damn. Christians want people to stop, then they can cut the throat shoving religous tactics god damnit!

OOoooh, so your going to attribute YOUR diety to another culture and religous beliefs actions? Typical christian.

Tired of seeing them in every hotel then too bad. Its their right to have bibles. Simple as that.

Your right, it is their right to have bibles. But it's not their right to practice throat shoving. They want people to "respect" thier religion and in one case here would like me to not say god damnit. Well, they can stop throat shoving and attacking scientific progress. Respect works both ways.

THe other reason it's not being provided is that as a multi - secular society providing ONE religious tract may be deemed as offensive to those not of a christian faith.

And from what I've seen so far, that's the ONLY issue they seem to be poo-poo-ing over! They don't CARE about infection control, they just care about throat shoving god damnit! For 2,000 years this is all they cared about. How many friggin places can we shove this idiotic book.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
If they allow people to leave bibles in the rooms, is it ok for Satan worshippers or Jehovah's Witnesses to leave their tracts in the rooms? Why should the bible be any different than any other propaganda?

People quite often ask this, and because, in comparison to the past, religion counts for very little these days in the lives of the everyday person, they forget the simple answer:

Because, no matter what your choice of religion, you live in a country built upon Christian rules and values.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kung Foo Fighter
People quite often ask this, and because, in comparison to the past, religion counts for very little these days in the lives of the everyday person, they forget the simple answer:

Because, no matter what your choice of religion, you live in a country built upon Christian rules and values.

Uh, no we don't. For very obvious reasons. This link here also provides some more information. www.earlyamerica.com...

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This is deffinately another case of political correctness gone mad, its getting crazy for it in the uk i think we had Christmas banned one year lol. I think a lot of people (including me) are a bit sick n tired of having religion shoved down our necks where ever we go! but like its already been said if u dont like it dont read simple as.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kung Foo Fighter

And?

Even if that were true, does it naturally follow that every person should yield to what the Christians want or think is right in any situation? Are you implying that we should live under Christian Rule? Becaue that's what it sounds like.

And the First Amendment to the Constitution guarantees that we are free from living under any religious rule.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join