It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hugo Chavez: Oil for no one if Iran attacked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Visiting Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said here on Thursday in case of a military attack against Iran, no country in the world would have access to crude oil.

Chavez made the remark at a press conference, adding, "as Iran's President Ahmadinejad has reiterated, if Tehran would come under attack, oil would get scarce for everyone."

He also said that the American President George W. Bush should be put to trial at the International Court of Justice for having launched genocide in Iraq.

More at Iraq War Blog

Energy has become the weapon of the 21st century. He who holds it holds the power. And Chavez has been shaking in his fist the same as if it were a sword. I'm not sure if he wants America to invade, or if he wants to make himself into the hero when we don't invade. Either way its a dangerous situation to simply possess oil these days.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I suppose one could choose to see something threatening in this if one likes, clearly the current US right-wing loathes Chavez and the whole south American 'movement' towards greater assertive independence.

But on the otherhand, isn' it simply a statement of the obvious truth?

Is anyone really claiming his comments are wrong and that an attack on Iran will ease the oil markets?!

Maybe some folks just don't want to hear it?

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Independance from whom. America dosen't run those countries. We don't have troops in them.
Maybe if America stopped trading with them and cut off some of the aid I'm sure it sends them, maybe thats the independance they want.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Okay, I think we are seeing the evolution of diplomacy. Gawd knows the old diplomacy didn't work. But I think this new type may be effective.

This would be a Castle move I believe.

lol

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by steve99
Independance from whom. America dosen't run those countries. We don't have troops in them.
Maybe if America stopped trading with them and cut off some of the aid I'm sure it sends them, maybe thats the independance they want.

Not YET!

America has an economic boycott against Iran so there is no trading, and no aide sent.

Please be 'sure' to check you facts before you say you are sure.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Malichai:

America has an economic boycott against Iran so there is no trading, and no aide sent.

I think he meant you have no troops in Venezuala...

Now not a one liner.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Energy has become the weapon of the 21st century. He who holds it holds the power.

If its going to be used as a weapon, then its in the US's interests to get control of it, no?

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Anyone want to postulate a theory on why Chavez is running his mouth making oil threats, yet his nation is buying large quantities of oil from Russia?
Venezuela buying oil from Russia

seekerof

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Don't forget also that US military send troops over there to pressure on Venezuela, Bolivia and Cuba. If they try to attack Iran and then the oil is cut, I think Bush is crazy enough to attack also Venezuela to save the oil.

Hope he doesn't attack Iran with NUKES that will have HUGE radiations effects on Afghanistan troops and population!!

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
U.S.A. today placed a ban on all sales of weapons to Chavez. That includes foreign countries selling US weaponry.

Pie

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Anyone want to postulate a theory on why Chavez is running his mouth making oil threats, yet his nation is buying large quantities of oil from Russia?
Venezuela buying oil from Russia

Hes running his mouth about oil because his nation is the fifth largest exporter of oil in the world.

They are buying less than 100K barrels a day to meet contract obligations. They pushed the paper faster than they could pump the oil.

Compared to their OPEC quota of 3.2 million barrels a day of production that is not a 'large' quantity.

[edit on 15-5-2006 by Malichai]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Yeah, other than the obvious declaration that they over-pushed the paper faster than they could pump oil factoid....which was blazingly apparent when I linked it, Malichai, and since this IS a conspiracy site, one could concluded that perhaps Venezuela does not have all the oil they so claim or Venezuela's oil production is rapidly waning. This is of course based upon Peak Oil being a legit theory, huh, Malichai?

And being that the U.S. gets about roughly 7-8% of its oil needs from Venezuela, here is something for you to grasp and consider: Perhaps Venezuela is more dependent upon oil revenues than the U.S. is dependent upon Venezuela's oil, you think?

Personally, I have long been boycotting CITGO.

seekerof

[edit on 15-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Nygdan....no offense whatsoever...but your attitude about how the United States should react is just the kind of Attitude that has caused all the problems we are dealing with today. This whole my dick penis is bigger than yours that our elected leaders around the world have been playing at the past milenia or so need to come to an end. But thats off topic....none the less....bad form

That being said.....Venezuela does not have to worry about Oil exports not when Latin America is the way it is....and banning weapons sales to Venezuela....Venzuela spends less than 10Million on US weapons....thats ten million today when it was like 300 Million back in 2004(Was on NPR this morning).

I think Hugo has it right....dont start fights or we will yank you gas. That and kicking all the Corporations out....No company should ever own a natrual Reasouce....they are borrowing it from the people.....Iminent Domain practices of Corps...need to be stopped....Hugo is shaking things up by removing Corpoations and threatening economic sanctions(Covert though they may be they are there none the less).

Bottomline is the United States is a Bully...or rather the US Government...and we need to get our arses kicked around a lil bit. I love my country but I dont like our practices and if the only way we change those is to no longer be a powerhouse...then Im all down.

Our country did in fact attempt to Take Hugo Chavezes life and his presidency...I kind of think that counts as aggression, and reason enough for him to be calling For President Bush's indictment at the Internation Court....I happen to agree with Chavez on that point....Bush and his entire family should be put in jail....just to insure domestic tranquility and saftey. But thats just my opinion.

Seekerof
you should be boycotting Exon, texaco, etc...not Citgo....Citgo and Co are providing low cost energy to low income neighborhoods while Jacking up the price in areas where the Bush's, Duponts, Carnegies, etc. live.....Citgo Rocks.

And Venezuela....You rock Harder....Go Social Democracy

[edit on 15-5-2006 by Elsenorpompom]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Yeah, other than the obvious declaration that they over-pushed the paper faster than they could pump oil factoid....which was blazingly apparent when I linked it, Malichai, and since this IS a conspiracy site, one could concluded that perhaps Venezuela does not have all the oil they so claim or Venezuela's oil production is rapidly waning.

There are also several different grades of Oil. There are heavy oils, and light oils.
The following are Venezuelas oil types:
Venezuela, Tia Juana Light 31º
Venezeula, Bachaquero 24º
Venezeula, Bachaquero 17º
It could also be that a customer of Venezuela is requiring a heavier crude that is also a lot closer in proximity to their customers location.Being that he is allied with Russia he may be getting a better deal. By purchasing the oil from the Urals it may be cheaper to buy there and have it delivered in Europe. Keep in mind also, his promise of Oil for the poor program he may have overextended himself causing a short on his other contracts that must be either fulfilled or cancelled upon breaking the contract. It can also be that as you suggested a shortage as well, but there are other possibilities.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Right now Venezuela is importing oil from russia to fill their demand. Even though they have larger proven reserves than the USA. the USA still domestically out produces more crude than Venezuela. Heavy Crude is harder to refine and yields less gasoline than the lighter types of crude. This is why Venezuela has had a major drop in production.

With teh drop in production and need for russian oil, Hugo Chavez is offering the "poor" of the uSA and EU cheap heating oil. Oil he is having trouble producing for his own "poor". 47% of his nation is under the poverty line.. This sound just like Stalin, importing tons of wheat to Cuba and East Germany while 40 million of his own people starve to death.

Hugo Chavez is goign to drive that country into the ground.

Brazil can go pure ethanol for cars for one reason, they do not ahve to grow all the corn and soybeans for their fuel. the USA does, we do not have enough land to produce enough Corn to "go straight green" for every car in the USA.
We can produce enough to ass to our currenr gasolone supply thus stretching out our supplies much farther. Pure ethanol has one problem, in the winter months a pure ethanol driven car will not start. Ehtanol has a much different combusting point than gasoline.

Brazil has less people and cars than the USA. Biodiesel has become so big in Europe that Brazil is plowing down more rainforests to grow the Soy to make more deisel for Europe. GREEN MY ASS.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Mr Livingstone I presume?

Looks like BushCo. are losing allies faster than Chavez is making new friends recently

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by timski

Looks like BushCo. are losing allies faster than Chavez is making new friends recently

Livingstone has always been against Bush (on didnt recognise him in his first term of office) because bush had to go to court and so forth

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by GTBurns
Right now Venezuela is importing oil from russia to fill their demand. Even though they have larger proven reserves than the USA. the USA still domestically out produces more crude than Venezuela. Heavy Crude is harder to refine and yields less gasoline than the lighter types of crude. This is why Venezuela has had a major drop in production.

With teh drop in production and need for russian oil, Hugo Chavez is offering the "poor" of the uSA and EU cheap heating oil. Oil he is having trouble producing for his own "poor". 47% of his nation is under the poverty line.. This sound just like Stalin, importing tons of wheat to Cuba and East Germany while 40 million of his own people starve to death.

The are not importing the oil to Venezuela. They are buying the futures and using that to cover contracts.

They also are not producing less. In fact OPEC is accusing them of going over their quotas.

But OPEC quotas are for production, not export so the 100K/D of oil could be increased domestic consumption.

And remember that the oil they are buying from Russia is only 3% of their own production.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Video on Hugo Chavez - Quite good

HUGO CHAVEZ ELECTED PRESIDENT OF VENEZUELA IN 1998, IS A COLORFUL,
UNPREDICTABLE FOLK HERO, beloved by his nation's working class and a
tough-as-nails, quixotic opponent to the power structure that would see him
deposed. Two independent filmmakers were inside the presidential palace on April 11, 2002, when he was forcibly removed from office. They were also
present 48 hours later when, remarkably, he returned to power amid cheering aides. Their film records what was probably history's shortest-lived coup d'鴡t.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by timski

Who are they actually losing and were they real allies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join