It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about a reaction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Hey guys was just making a volcano model for my science class and I am supposed to put baking power / vinegar in it to replicate an explosion. Anyways, i was wondering if anyone knew what would happen if i put them in a bottle and sealed it before they could react together? Thanks a bunch!

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The reaction will still proceed as normal since it doesn't require oxygen. The carbon dioxide byproduct will pressurize the bottle if it's sealed. I shouldn't imagine it would be enough to explode the bottle unless you really pack heaps in there, but I wouldn't tempt fate if I were you.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
The reaction will still proceed as normal since it doesn't require oxygen. The carbon dioxide byproduct will pressurize the bottle if it's sealed. I shouldn't imagine it would be enough to explode the bottle unless you really pack heaps in there, but I wouldn't tempt fate if I were you.

Thanks a bunch, i figured it would probably do something similar to what you mentioned but didn't want to try it myself. I was telling my friend about it earlier though and he said he might try it later on...hope he doesn't kill himself or something

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Maybe add some red or orange food dye to the vinegar and your bubbleruption will look like real lava.

If you get an A+ for creativity, I get some credit, k?

[edit on 2006-5-13 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Maybe add some red or orange food dye to the vinegar and your bubbleruption will look like real lava.

If you get an A+ for creativity, I get some credit, k?

[edit on 2006-5-13 by wecomeinpeace]

Haha yea i already bought some red food coloring, btw does anyone know what would be the best way to keep the vinegar / baking soda seperate and then add it all together at once as fast as possible? (btw- i have built the volcano up around a 2-liter bottle if that helps at all)

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Put the vinegar in first, then dump the soda in and give it a really fast, vigorous stir then stand back. If you put the soda in first, because it's a powder the vinegar will sit on top of it in a layer and won't mix as well. Maybe practice it once at home. The more and faster you mix it, the more particles are in contact and the faster the reaction will proceed. Bubbletastic! lol...

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Put the vinegar in first, then dump the soda in and give it a really fast, vigorous stir then stand back. If you put the soda in first, because it's a powder the vinegar will sit on top of it in a layer and won't mix as well. Maybe practice it once at home. The more and faster you mix it, the more particles are in contact and the faster the reaction will proceed. Bubbletastic! lol...

Only 1 problem with that theory, the bottle is currently encased in about 10 pounds of paper mache and the base is over 2' in diameter with plywood on the bottom, so it might be a little hard to shake it...any other ideas

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Bond would kill me if he saw this, but you want it stirred...not shaken.

Use a stick or a piece of PVC piping.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Fwiw - R/C model aircraft builders use one litre plastic soda bottles as air tanks for their air operated retractable landing gear.

They wrap the main body of the soda bottle with 2-3 layers of overlapping filament packaging tape.
That makes them capable to 100# air pressure and if I remember right, tests have shown the bottles will go to 300# before an abrupt failure.

More than a few of these very nice models blew up when un-reinforced plastic soda bottles were used.
Must have been quite a sight to see a very nice R/C aircraft blow up and watch balsa, foam and other pieces flutter to the ground.

The filament tape does the trick.

Need I say, "Don't use glass bottles?"

In my opinion, putting vinegar and baking soda in a bottle and then sealing it may lead to an over-pressure situation very rapidly.
More than likely you won't have time to be stirring the solution.

I'd try to figure out a delay device that keeps the baking soda out of the vinegar before you're ready for the eruption.

As an aside, I've seen on the net, plans to build water rockets with plastic soda bottles.
Some of them are two stage units and they fly pretty high.

[edit on 13-5-2006 by Desert Dawg]

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I got some advice.....stay away from oxidisers and oxidising reactions.....lol

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Yea i have figured out that if i put in the vinegar first and then put a paper towel into the top of the 2 litre bottle and let it slide half way down into the bottle, hold it into place, and then poor all the baking soda into the napkin i can then mix all the baking soda at once with the vinegar, but it is still not a big enough "explosion". Anyone know how to make it a little more powerful using same / similar ingreadients?

Edit - Sorry to sound like a noob, but what are oxidizers and oxidizing reactions?

[edit on 13-5-2006 by enlightened_smurf]

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Why do I get the feeling this is going to end in misery, either for you, the volcano, or both? lol...Be safe...

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Why do I get the feeling this is going to end in misery, either for you, the volcano, or both? lol...Be safe...

Lol i'm trying to be safe, just trying to know what an oxidizer is so that I don't exidently use it in a chemical reaction

P.S. - Who cares about the volcano? It was meant to die!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
Need I say, "Don't use glass bottles?"

Lol, this reminds me of one time in elementary school, a kid made a glass erlenmeyer (sp?) flask explode with this same reaction, by stoppering it and shaking it really hard. It was a miracle he didn't get hurt when the glass went flying. So yeah, don't do that!

There's a recipe here for just such a reaction. They add a few other ingredients besides baking soda and vinegar, maybe they will make it more impressive?

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
he didn't get hurt when the glass went flying. So yeah, don't do that!

There's a recipe here for just such a reaction. They add a few other ingredients besides baking soda and vinegar, maybe they will make it more impressive?

So if i am reading it correctly, the only real difference is laundry detergent?

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I was talking to my friend about this project and he was telling me something similar would happen if you put mentos into a full 2-litre bottle of soda. Anyone ever heard of this or have personal experience in trying this?

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I'm making a model volcano for my Geology class. I would like to make it have a more realistic 'eruption' then bakingsoda and vinigar. I have some chemical mixtures which light on fire and would produce molten metal but I would much rather find a way to produce molten rock and make it erupt.

BTW. I'm going to record the eruption from my house.

If anyone has any ideas you can email me at [email protected]

Thanks!!!

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by enlightened_smurf
Hey guys was just making a volcano model for my science class and I am supposed to put baking power / vinegar in it to replicate an explosion. Anyways, i was wondering if anyone knew what would happen if i put them in a bottle and sealed it before they could react together? Thanks a bunch!

Why not use Diet Coke and Mentos to really blow the top off your volcano???

Now for the science stuff

How Things Work: Mentos in Diet Coke

One thing though... DO NOT what ever you do drink diet coke then eat Mentos.......

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 26-3-2007 by Neon Haze]

new topics

top topics

join