It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So when does the chit-chat start? Right now!

page: 77
<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by desert

Given a choice, MrD will gravitate towards a machine any day. When that automatic box didn't work well (and he couldn't get it to work better..that's the key), he went out and bought just the right size scoop, clumping litter and lidded box to hold the clumps before they find their way to the trash can. Kind of like when a man, for lack of a chainsaw, will whip out a whipsaw to fell a tree. Not to be outdone!

LOL

well - I'd say that that worked out just fine then

His talents come in handy for our love of boondocking,

yes - that would be useful

...when we take the trailer and live without hookups. No problem, whether at home or boondocking, is left unsolved with him!

love you for that - long time since I've heard anybody even mention "boondocking"

:-)

I have fond memories of great camping trips in a tent, so when you go camping, please let me know all about your trips.

I spent a good chunk of my life wishing I could live in a tent

it went away for a while

think it's coming back - but - maybe something a little more substantial now - visions of something more homey - artful - more Lawrence of Arabia the REI

I'll let you know how it goes

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
A Lawrence of Arabia tent...with plush carpets!...homey...artful...and romantic! Yes!

We've been staying at an RV park for a few days, while on the road visiting, before we continue on to our destination, where we will boondock. The luxury of hookups.

An rv park is usually the opposite of a city. The center of the rv park is where all the choice spots are, while the outer edges are for those...well, not going to stay in the center.
Into the center come rolling in the quarter million dollar rigs, where the owner takes out a $200 portable barbecue, sets out $150 chairs, and proceeds to cook steaks while sipping $20 bottle wine from a glass wine glass.
Those on the edge are either young people who set up rigs their grandparents bought years ago, or they ARE the grandparents themselves, with their rolling retirement home, rigs that have seen many miles and good times. They bbq hotdogs from a cheap grill while sipping box wine from a plastic cup, or swig from a bottle of non-microbrew beer, ready to sit either at the table provided or on the cheapest camp chair available.

Here's the thing...everyone is happy and enjoying themselves!

When God taketh away one rv site, She provides another. We always stay at this rv park every year, but this year I did not make reservations for our 5 night stay. There was no room at the center this year! Instead I was given a site, not just on the edge...but at the...back edge! I expected to be among a group of Irish Travelers or be kept awake at night with the sounds of Gypsy music.

I have been rightly humbled, and I will now be requesting this particular site every year! Not only were my neighbors (as I described TWO paragraphs above) friendly and quiet, but the site was beautiful, with lawn, bushes, and trees on three sides, greenery not found in such abundance in "the center".
The laundry room was better than the center one, and not in use as often. Hardly anyone drove by. We were even shielded from the highway noise. And folks here could care less if I drank my good, cheap, on-sale bottle of wine from my acrylic wine goblet.
Note to self...stop questioning when Life doesn't give me the rv site I demand.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
And then there are those of us who prefer to stay in the parking lot of the county hospital in our Ford Econoline Vans. We eat from the vending machines in the Emergency rooms and use the public facilities.
Oh Lord if we only had acrylic wine glasses. There is a sort of panache of pulling Thunderbird, La Copita or Old Granddad, off the neck however.

Ah yes, the romance of the open road, the taste of gasoline siphoned from someone Else's tank, used tires and Waylon Jennings on the 8trac. Freedom............

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by desert

A Lawrence of Arabia tent...with plush carpets!...homey...artful...and romantic! Yes!

Yes! :-)

and I have given it some very serious thought - for quite some time...

someday I will have the tent of my dreams :-)

We've been staying at an RV park for a few days, while on the road visiting, before we continue on to our destination, where we will boondock.

...Here's the thing...everyone is happy and enjoying themselves! When God taketh away one rv site....Not only were my neighbors (as I described TWO paragraphs above) friendly and quiet, but the site was beautiful, with lawn, bushes, and trees on three sides, greenery not found in such abundance in "the center".

sounds fun - often plan B is the better plan - sometimes I wish I would just go with plan B first

nice to hear from someone on the road :-)

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

And then there are those of us who prefer to stay in the parking lot of the county hospital in our Ford Econoline Vans.

I can actually see how that might work - for a long time

Ah yes, the romance of the open road, the taste of gasoline siphoned from someone Else's tank, used tires and Waylon Jennings on the 8trac. Freedom............

no gas on my lips, BTO in place of Waylon (if we're talking 8 tracks)

but, yes - the road...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Somehow this seemed appropriate.

www.youtube.com...

When rock and roll was so much fun and exemplified the spirit of youthful freedom. Damn I hate to be a geezer saying "those were the days" but I feel blessed to have experienced that era in American culture.

But all things considered, it ain't half bad NOW! Half full perhaps.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

LOL

oh - god bless you

I really needed that - and I didn't even know it :-)

here's a little known Spira fact: I don't drive

when I was 16 - I was, shall we say - greener than green

I decided I would see how far in life I could go without a car - and here I am - still

oh the irony - because no one loves road trips more than I do

I always make up (or try) for the not driving part by buying gas/food - trying to be useful :-)

but, yeah - for someone who likes it as much as I do - shot myself in the foot in a big way

but - I will learn sooner or later - it will be necessary at some point

anyway - when I was sixteen - my best friend naturally got a car - had an 8track - and the ONLY tape she had was BTO

so - the memories... :-)

all good

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

...listening for the third time...

seriously - thanks

you aren't wrong - those were good times

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Yay BTO!! Hi, all

Thank God, whaaa, that was YOUR Econoline in the parking lot! I took a chance when I left the paperbag with a bottle of Nyquil in it. I thought, well, if it's not whaaa's van, then some poor soul would enjoy it just as well. I tell ya what...if I see the same van on down the road a piece, I'll drop off some Thunderbird, too.

Spira, I'm gonna drop off a Big Green Thumbs Up award for you!! Meanwhile, hop on board with me. I'll tell ya where about we're at, and you can look it up online. Today, look up Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. Saw a deer go through the campground yesterday. Look up Lake Marie campground, and maybe you 'll see a picture of a camping yurt. They're popular up here.

Well, while being a So Cal native who did take public transit for many years, I haven't managed to shake off the Sunday drive phenomena, where parents would pile kids in the ole '56 Buick and take off every Sunday to explore So Cal. The urge to explore in a car, to do ANYTHING in a car, was put in my blood at birth.
The auto out here has been like an oxygen molecule flowing along the veins and arteries to keep a body alive. So Cal wouldn't be what it is today, for better or for worse, without all those cars flowing along its roads and highways. It is true, we do declare distances in terms of time out here...that's how bad it is.

Speaking of time...and vehicles...we gotta go into Coos Bay now to get some new batteries for the trailer. MrD is a genius at getting every ounce of life out of something...love him for that...and other things...so we decided to get new batts this summer up here. The old ones lasted six years; he thinks the new ones he can get to go eight...sigh, he's da man!...whaaa, stop me, I'm rambling!...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

Spira, I'm gonna drop off a Big Green Thumbs Up award for you!!

thanks desert!

(don't tell anyone - but - I'm not the best when it comes to recycling...)

Meanwhile, hop on board with me. I'll tell ya where about we're at, and you can look it up online. Today, look up Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. Saw a deer go through the campground yesterday. Look up Lake Marie campground, and maybe you 'll see a picture of a camping yurt. They're popular up here.

just looked up both - and - saw the yurts!

LOVE the yurts - did not realize that we had yurts here in America

how fun is this? :-)

will look forward to your next installment - thanks!

beautiful - by the way - Oregon Dunes...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
another road song - probably my favorite - if I had to pick one...

nothing but middle of the country horizons no matter which way you look

gently rolling golden weed covered hills to flat flower covered prairies -

antelope, hawks - massive thunderstorms you can see coming right for you - nowhere to hide :-)

awww...

(OK - not really a road song - just my road song)

[edit on 6/17/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

I Love it!

Here is my Highway song.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
*glitches in and heads for his favorite juke box.....#3788*

Whenever I'm uncertain
Of my feelings
Wherever I may be when I'm in doubt
I ask this question

Where do we go from heaven
Where do we go from heaven I'd like to know

If I would make a pledge to you forever
My love would last you all eternity
It makes me wonder

Where do we go from heaven (where do we go from heaven)

They say you go to heaven if you're a good man
If there's any lord up there where do you go
I'd like to know now

Where do we go from heaven (where do we go from heaven)

Where do we go from heaven...

Edit to add: sorry, should have said who this was: The Mighty Lemon Drops - "Where do we go from heaven?"

Hey new people and regulars. I'd buy you all a drink but my money's all tied up, in cash.

Desert, hello. Did you say Coos Bay? Of course, the birth place and home of Steve Prefontaine. What brings you to that neck of the nape, nape of the woods?

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

Hey new people and regulars. I'd buy you all a drink but my money's all tied up, in cash.

it's the thought that counts Excitable - :-)

tonight I believe I might have me one of whaaas NyQuil laced concoctions

it doesn't really sound very good - but it sounds like it might be useful

(I finally decided to go with spell check's recommendation)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

another good one

I feel like going somewhere...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

tonight I believe I might have me one of whaaas NyQuil laced concoctions

NyQuil really does add to the fun of a concoction. One could have a NyQuifer, which is of course NyQuil and Shaeffer Beer. Drop the shot in the beer and it and it....well, it.......it's a NyQuifer anyway.

Then there's the NyQualude, which is NyQuil mixed with Jeigermeister and Absynth....one ounce of each. You shoot it...

Then there's the NyNite....two ounces of NyQuil..yes TWO and three shots of Cuervo 1800 tequila...must all be drank within a half hour

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

I had no idea...

really - it's really real?

as long as you boys know what you're doing

but - think I'll just have a sherry and call it a night

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Then there' the NyQuality Inn....Two shots of NyQuil mixed with a Stoli Doley....the whole drink is about 8 ounces. For those who don't know what a Stoli Doley is....it's Stoli vodka that has been sitting in a bottle of pineapple for about a week. So it's pure vodka....but the pineapple completely wipes out the taste of alcohol. The first time I tried one, I thought it was water. Pretty scary....

Anyway...it's called the NyQuality Inn because one of the side effects is waking up next to a crack whore in one of the many Comfort Inns across this great nation. Another side effect is waking up and having no idea how you ended up tied to the headboard in a similar type room...

[edit on 17-6-2009 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Hmmmmm....hmmmmmm...EB, you mentioned about your cash...tied up...now you mentioned tied up again. Any chance you've been gambling around Zephyr Cove, Nevada, lately?
More later re Coos Bay.

Jeeves, a sherry for me, too, please. Gettin' close to bed time...well, actually, the sherry makes bedtime a little closer...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Good morning all!

I'm trying to convince MrD that we should attend this year's chainsaw carving festival in Reedsport, OR, this weekend. In past years, we haven't been up here on the weekend it's offered, or we've been here but didn't have the time to attend.

You know, I once tried my hand at, yes, the sport of chainsaw carving. But I found out I was all fingers, until I found out I had none. It didn't take much money to get into the sport, but I lost an arm and a leg. I guess I just wasn't cut out to be a pro chainsaw carver. I got out before I lost my head...oh, dear gawd, I will end here to stop the misery...your groans are deafening!

new topics

top topics

<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join