It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space teleferic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Hello all,

Today I've been crawling the web for some space elevator news. And I read that the biggest probleme remaining is the construction of the elevator itself...
Instead of building a simple ribon from the ground to the counter weight, why don't they build a loop? Like the a teleferic...
It could have at lest two advantages:
- the motor needed to move the elevator would be based on the ground... so no problem of energy to move the cabin: the motor moves the ribon on which the "cabins" can be fixed. Moreover by putting more than one container (or wathever), you spend less energy... since the objects going down help.
- it would be much faster: you can lift many things at a time...

The constraint would be the same, so... anyone knows about something like that?

[edit on 12/5/2006 by Lillo]

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Instead of building a simple ribon from the ground to the counter weight, why don't they build a loop?

Who has ever said it will be built like that? It will be done the other way around from slightly above geostationary orbit.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Instead of building a simple ribon from the ground to the counter weight, why don't they build a loop?

Who has ever said it will be built like that? It will be done the other way around from slightly above geostationary orbit.

Was it intended to be a humoristic answer?

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lillo

Originally posted by sardion2000

Was it intended to be a humoristic answer?

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. At the time of me writing that I was just waking up.

top topics

join