It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

63% of Americans believe NSA wiretapping to be ok

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Here is the article from the Washington post, I'm not sure if you will have to subscribe to view the piece.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Poll: Most Americans Support NSA's Efforts
A majority of Americans initially support a controversial National Security Agency program to collect information on telephone calls made in the United States in an effort to identify and investigate potential terrorist threats, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The new survey found that 63 percent of Americans said they found the NSA program to be an acceptable way to investigate terrorism, including 44 percent who strongly endorsed the effort. Another 35 percent said the program was unacceptable, which included 24 percent who strongly objected to it.

[edit on 12/5/2006 by Sauron]

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Hi Umbrax,

Was that for me? If so, I still don't see anything about wiretapping.
Which was my point, the thread title is misleading..This is about call logging.

Ah, I see what you mean now.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Wow, why do all of you have such strong beliefs in not wanting to be heard on the phone? How many of you actually just sit on the phone and talk about NASA, and Bush anyway? Obviously there is a reason for wire tapping, and my bet is for our own security. I could care less if my phone conversations are heard. They mostly consist of me meeting with friends/girlfriends, or talking to relatives about how i'm doing. I do see how it could eventually lead to more serious spying events, but I really don't think wire tapping is all that bad.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Gee, that must be the 63% of Americans who don't use the phone for criminal, emabrrassing or illegal purposes.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Mad scientist:

Gee, that must be the 63% of Americans who don't use the phone for criminal, emabrrassing or illegal purposes.

Yeah, and the 37% who don’t agree must be those people who believe that their government has no right to pry into their personal lives under the laughable guise of national security.

They must be real Americans, those 37%. Educated, thoughtful, and concerned not only for themselves but for the country that they are leaving for their children. For the freedoms that they have enjoyed under the U.S. Constitution, that they will fight to protect. They care about things like privacy, and about holding the President accountable to the Constitution that HE SWORE TO UPHOLD when he took the Oath of Office. Swore on the Bible to uphold.

Those 63% are just rolling over and taking it. That’s un-American. Like your lying, idiot President.

-jako

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I highly doubt 63% of Americans agree. I tend to distrust these polls.

Since about 90% of the people I know who are American basically say absolutely friggin not, and the other 10% are ultra conservatives, Ill go by my own "statistics".

I am yet to meet anyone who says, hell yeah.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
So in otherwords, 63% of Americans are complete idiots.....now I can get back to chugging ranch dressing!

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The results of a new USA Today poll suggest poll results are all in the wording of the questions in the poll.

WASHINGTON — A majority of Americans disapprove of a massive Pentagon database containing the records of billions of phone calls made by ordinary citizens, according to a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll. About two-thirds are concerned that the program may signal other, not-yet-disclosed efforts to gather information on the general public.
POLL RESULTS: NSA database reaction

The survey of 809 adults Friday and Saturday shows a nation wrestling with the balance between fighting terrorism and protecting civil liberties.

By 51%-43%, those polled disapprove of the program, disclosed Thursday in USA TODAY. The National Security Agency has been collecting phone records from three of the nation's largest telecommunication companies since soon after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Most of those who approve of the program say it violates some civil liberties but is acceptable because "investigating terrorism is the more important goal."

link to article

link to poll

This poll made it clear calls were being recorded and numbers were being tracked. Apparently, the WP poll did not.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
it makes sense to me (im not saying it's okay)...

if one doesn't have anything to hide, then why shouldn't they adhere to some stipulations???

like, when i went to a job interview, they asked if i would agree with random drug tests...

i agreed with the random drug test stipulation because i don't do drugs, so there was no problem here...

i guess it may be the same in this wiretapping case too...

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
A little looksie into the future.

NSA Domestic Spy Team Wins US Stock Traders Challenge For 4th Consecutive Year

Made up today, True tomorrow?

Ps. NSA wiretapping is OK. It's for your protection.

[edit on 16-5-2006 by yanchek]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
the lemmings will do what the lemmings will do.... unfortunately all of us pay for the stupidity of a few.. I am shocked that this nation that once prided itself in being free qould so readily give over all their rights for "security"...what makes me really sick about this is that some people are using the "i dont care i dont have anything to hide" philosophy.... ITS NOT THE POINT!!!. it matters not if you are doing something wrong.. we have our rights to be secure in our papers effects and possessions according to the consitution anyway.... But after all the consitution is only a "goddamned piece of paper" according to george "Little Hitler" Bush.

Lastly if the govt wants to care about what im doing then frickin help pay some bills...roflmao

top topics

<< 1   >>

join