It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China seeks good-looking sailors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   

news.bbc.co.uk...

If you're ugly, short or rude, your career prospects in the Chinese navy don't look like plain sailing.
Officials say anyone joining the service in 2006 must be good-looking, tall and polite.

Manners and looks matter because navy vessels often visit other countries and host reciprocal visits, a spokesman has told the official Xinhua news agency.

Candidates will also be tested on their professional knowledge and physical and psychological stamina, he says.

Minimum height requirements will be 1.7m for men and 1.65m for women. In recent years China has increased its participation in naval exercises with other countries.

couldnt stop my self laughing after reading this

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
So lets see, if your weapons aren't effective.
You can always "dazzle" your enemy with good looks.

Guess its PR when in foriegn ports, don't want any fugglies running around.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I watched a National Geographic program about taboos. They did a segment on limb (specifically legs) lengthening. In China height is becoming increasingly important. It could affect your career, and it can prevent you from getting a job. For males you have to be taller than 5'8'' and for females it's 5'6''.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
In The AF you need to have a decent height or your feet ain't going to reach the rudder peddals!!!

But by decent I mean above 5 feet...

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

In The AF you need to have a decent height or your feet ain't going to reach the rudder peddals!!!

But by decent I mean above 5 feet.

I'm glad you clarified yourself with the second line. I used to work as with pilots, and I was probably taller than 50% of them, and I'm 5'6''.

However, there is such a thing as being "too tall" as far as aircrafts are concerned.

BTW, there are a few commercial pilots that used to be pilots in the Air Force. Just be glad they can reach the rudders.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I re-watched the National Geographic special, and I fudged on the hieght issue.

In China, they sat that if you are too short it's possible you could be denied employment as well as admission to some universities; However, if a person wants a job in politics, a female must be 5'3'' or taller and a male must be 5'7'' or taller. Talk about pressure.

new topics

top topics

join