It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 6000 Character Count...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I gotta say, I hate it.

Is there any way we can "buy" more characters with our posts? As anyone who knows me here can attest, I have a habit of posting rather long replies or starting long posts. It's really annoying to have to post two or three times, especially when there's only a couple of paragraphs left till the end of the post.

I can see why it was put into place, to avoid flooding, spamming, eating up too much space, but if we've paid our dues, we shouldn't be limited by a character count, or at least be able to get a larger one.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well, you'll get 7,000 characters when you hit 1,000 posts -OR- you could become a Conspiracy Master and get 10,000 characters. I think you'd be a good candidate. At least based upon what I've read that you've posted.

More than 10,000 characters, you might want to look for a book deal.

Good luck.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Greeeeat...

And how do I see how many posts I've hit?

I have no idea if I'd remotely qualify as a Conspiracy expert in anything, though I did uncover hard evidence of a conspiracy, which I later abandoned the pursuit of for safety reasons.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
You have 727 posts.

You can see your post count by moving your cursor over the little grey (sometimes reddish) bar under your miniprofile.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I seem to recall SkepticOverlord indicating that post limits would be temporary...that is until we changed over to the new servers...and that at that time the policy would be re-reviewed.

Has that happened?

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Sometimes things, such as this, would be better to let the staff know through the use of the Suggesstion Button.

ABOUT ATS: The Complaint/Suggestion Form

It's a bit dated, but still useful.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Cmd in regards to the Suggestion box, I fully agree with it and use it myself. I would say most times you do not have any feedback, which probably deters members from it. I can think of atleast 5 or 6 times I used it, and I can only remember sanctum responding with a thank you and that it would be discussed.

Sometimes it serves the board to have an issue in the open. Individual issues can certainly be dealt with U2U's, but I would say alot of board members look at the Forums as publicity to the issue and a way to create a discussion.

Any thoughts on trying to make it protocol to respond to all suggestions? Confirmation is always good to know our thoughts were heard.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
I gotta say, I hate it.

I can see why it was put into place, to avoid flooding, spamming, eating up too much space, but if we've paid our dues, we shouldn't be limited by a character count, or at least be able to get a larger one.

Incorrect. The reason it was put in place is because of the killer load a huge post put on the data base server. Each thread contains loads of content form several different data bases. Every time a post is accessed the data base server has to compile all this content and serve it to your screen in the pretty format you're looking at now.

With our traffic, this gets to be a huge problem with a super long single post. Our old db server was literally choking on the requests and crashing the whole site. We are still fine tuning the new servers and may take another look at this situation.

Bottom line is we did this to keep the site available, fast and on line. It had NOTHING to do with limiting or restricting people or anything else.

Springer...

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
And how do I see how many posts I've hit?

Yeah, that little "cursor over the bar" thing doesn't work for me. Maybe it's an Opera issue. You can also click on the settings button up top, or the profile button at the bottom of every post you make. That'll tell you. (You've got 727).

Shoot for Conspiracy Master. I'll bet you'd get it. And I wanna read what you've got cooking that needs over 6k characters.

[edit on 5/12/2006 by yeahright]

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Hovering the cursor over the grey bar will display your post count in IE.

Ive noticed with FireFox you need to right click on the bar and go to properties. The number will be displayed in there.

It also tells you in your Profile, which you can find by clicking on the Settings tab.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
There will be a modification to the character count coming soon.

After an analysis of the new servers, there are some code changes I can make that will take advantage of some attributes of the new MySQL version that will result in improved performance (combined with the new horsepower of the servers), and the ability to increase character count.

However, brand-new members with less than 10 posts will likely exprience no change as a low introductory post count does seem to limit people who join just to spam the board.

More news later.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Thanks, everyone, 'specially our resident ATS Amigo, Skeptic-O, for your informative and insightful replies. I'm especially happy to hear it's just a transitory condition. I'd thought about using the suggestion box, but before I bothered the staff, I wanted to see what the history of the situation was first. It wasn't so much that I feared staff wouldn't reply, but rather not wanting to bother them with something that had already been addressed in some way I didn't know about.

Anyway, hooray! This pleases me!

new topics

top topics

join