It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's New bunker: Yamantau mountain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Deep in the mountains of Russia lies this "refurbished" incredibly massive underground Russian bunker. Why, is the question to ask. Why have it? i have never heard this site mentioned in ATS, but this underground location has been reviewed by the U.S. Congress and most certainly the CIA. Please formulate your ideas and postulates about what this location could be for and as always please use decent websites, no bs conspiracy crap.

www.globalsecurity.org...

www.worldnetdaily.com...

[edit on 11-5-2006 by txdan06]

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Not sure if this is of any use, but here's what else could be dug up. Along with the expected quotes. This first one is from a very long article, that I read to the end. Which is exactly where I found the goods.

Q: If there's so much trust between both sides, why is it that the United States can't get more visibility into the Yamantau mountain complex and other similar construction projects that are underway and closely tied to their command and control of nuclear forces?

A: Excellent question. Again, I don't want to identify anyone by name. But another senior official, very senior official and I had a discussion and that's one of the issues I brought up. I said, we've got folks in the United States who think you're committing a technical foul by, you know, you've got 20,000 people working there. You've got a lot of resource going to this place. Why don't you just take an American down there and show them what you're doing? And he said, got it. I don't know what's going to happen.

Q: Did they tell you what it was all about?

A: Yes. It's the same story that I got from Gen. Sergeyev over a year ago and it is not military-related. It is a national crisis center. That's the way it was described to me. I said you need to put it to bed.

DoD News Briefing
Tuesday, June 16, 1998, 2:15 p.m.
General Eugene Habiger, Commander of U.S. Strategic Command

This next is in my opinion, among the best open sources of information.

Secret work on massive subterranean facilities may represent the greatest misuse of Russian funds. The largest, a complex with millions of square feet inside Yamantau Mountain in the southern Urals 850 miles east 94/95 of Moscow, is served by a railroad and a modern highway, and at one point, a former US Strategic Command chief estimated, housed at least 20,000 workers in newly fashioned cities.47...
Anonymous US intelligence sources say the Yamantau Mountain project alone has cost Russia some $6 billion since 199150

Poor Transparency

More detail on the facility here;

Some analysts argue that the principle targets for RNEP are in Russia and include the command facilities inside the Yamantau and Kosvinsky mountains.[5] Both of these facilities trace their origins to the Cold War when U.S. strategic doctrine emphasized targeting the Communist Party's leadership complex. Indeed, Yamantau and Kosvinsky were designed and built to prevent a decapitating first strike by U.S. strategic nuclear forces.

Yamantau
Although construction of the command center at Yamantau began in the Brezhnev-era, the Russian Federation has remained committed to completing the facility. Yamantau has proven controversial and has allegedly drawn the ire of U.S. nuclear war planners.[6] In a 1997 Congressional finding, the U.S. House of Representatives noted (that) "the Yamantau Mountain project does not appear to be consistent with the lowering of strategic threats, openness, and cooperation that is the basis of the post-Cold War strategic partnership between the United States and Russia."[7] The finding goes on to quote the Segodnya newspaper which claimed in 1996 "that the Yamantau Mountain project was associated with the so-called 'Dead Hand' nuclear retaliatory command and control system for strategic missiles."[8] A 1997 CIA report was less confident, noting "The rationale for the Yamantau complex is unclear."[9] Owing to the facility's location inside a rock quartz mountain (about 3,000 feet straight down from the summit), it is reportedly unsuitable for use as a command post. The silicon-rich quartz interferes with radio signals broadcast from within the facility, rendering communications links tenuous at best. Yamantau's communications capabilities are therefore limited to the use of transmitters broadcasting from outside the facility, which are vulnerable to existing weapons in the U.S. nuclear stockpile (and would be even more vulnerable to new bunker busters). Thus, rather than being associated with the so-called "Dead Hand" nuclear retaliatory command and control system, it is thought that Yamantau's principle purpose is to provide a wartime relocation facility for the Russia's top political leadership.[10]

Assessing the International Response to the Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator

PRE-PRODUCTION COPY
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
of the
of the
COMMISSION TO ASSESS
THE BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT
TO THE UNITED STATES

Deception & Denial. Yamantau and Russian Underground Activity

There is "Also the mystery of Yamantau mountain.", mentioned in this thread.

I hope that looks right...

That's a lot of reading, I know it was good for it too. Perhaps someof the Russian members around here would know more, or be able to confirm. With US agencies going "into the mountain" literally, and Russia digging in. Is the picture is clear enough for every one to get the drift?

Great thread, hopefully the above contributes enough to be of benefit.

[edit on 12-5-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by txdan06
Why, is the question to ask. Why have it?
[edit on 11-5-2006 by txdan06]

For the exact same reasons America has them.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Indeed.. may as well give the russians the grand tour of Cheyanne Mountain and NORAD, why not area 51 while you're at it

I do so love how america is allowed to do things other countries are not lol

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Lol Yeh. In all honesty i probably trust the Russians more than the Americans at the moment.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
What is different with this complex is that there are pictures and a several threads, hundreds of forums, and many many other publicity that the Russian bunker is not getting, not to mention if you asked a US official what area 51 was or Cheyenne the answers are simple: the first is a research lab (once again this is just the Basic/nonconspiracy definition) and there are Pictures and probably you could arrange a tour if you had connectinos of Cheyanne mountain. Not to mention the Russian base was made to with withstand 13 hits by nukes (each hitting the same spot the last one just detonated in). Due to the amount of secrecy and deception especially with the expansion of the area AFTER the end of the USSR especially brings up concern and evidently its not a "conspiracy" or a false threat since it came onto the HOuse floor as a major issue to discuss.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seether
Indeed.. may as well give the russians the grand tour of Cheyanne Mountain and NORAD, why not area 51 while you're at it

The point is the Russians HAVE toured Cheyenne Mountain... but they won't show us theirs

Interesting Two old threads and no more info into 2008... very interesting indeed

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by txdan06 evidently its not a "conspiracy" or a false threat since it came onto the HOuse floor as a major issue to discuss.

Very good point

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
TO All posts Maybe they are building bunkers to survive something else. What if the threat of a nuclear war was an excuse to start building bunkers in the first place. It doesn't mean they have to be used for that. It is possible that a minority know something is going to happen and possibly soon, that is possibly why the russians are in a hurry to complete their enormous bunker. Is it possible the americans have them too all over the states and connected by transport systems. I've seen a video of these but not too sure if it's genuine.
Anyway the most likely bet is they have been built to withstand an enormous catastrophy they know is coming.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Actually, if Kremlin knew about any coming catastrophy of such massive scale, it would act differently then it's acting now.

90% probability - it's for a global nuclear war. Because world becomes more and more unstable. "just in case".

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Mt. Yamantau's primary function is DEADHAND, which means if Russian leadership is destroyed in an attack, then control shifts to military control within the Mt. Yamantau superbunker.

It is also rumored that there's a special underground train system that connects Mt. Yamantau to the Kremlin for special evacuation purposes.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: txdan06

I'm resurrecting this thread, since I'm wondering if there is any more recent material on Russia's Yamantau Mountain. (This article is from 2011):

www.militaryphotos.net...
YAMANTAU MOUNTAIN - RUSSIA'S AREA 51 OR...?

Curiously, Cheyenne Mountain was abandoned by the Air Force and NORAD in 2006, and moved to Peterson AFB. I suspect multiple underground levels that house NORAD, since that seems to be the way the U.S. military is going these days - no more hollowed out mountains, just D.U.M.B.s (Deep Underground Military Bases).

top topics

join