It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

petition(please don't remove this)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Ive actually never been into chat. Anytime I try I recieve a

Error to load client configuration file

I assume its something with my Java, anyone point me in a direction of where I can resolve that? At work at the moment, but when Im home later I'd love to click a button and resolve that.

Any help would be appreciated.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Ive actually never been into chat. Anytime I try I recieve a

Error to load client configuration file

chissler,

Try accessing it from ATS, not BTS.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
DAMN YOU!

:bnghd:

That was beyond simple.

Thanks for the help.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
On a related note, the whole posts for points thing here is a bit annoying as it encourages 'post whoring' (for those not familiar with this terminology, this is the practice of posting anything at all simply to boost your post count).

ATS is an outstanding site and fantastic resource, but encouraging spamming by rewarding those that spam the most is the one drawback.

Note: I finally stopped lurking and registered on 14 Sep 05 when I felt compelled to get involved in the Katrina discussions. I then spent a while being very active here, but never even came close to approaching the levels of those that are willing to play the 'who can get the most posts' game. I still feel that quality is much more valuable than quantity and wish ATS/BTS/PTS were somehow able to be geared that way instead.

Final note: This makes post number 143....

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I create alot of avatars for members, and frequenty visit BTS. I seem to post less and less on BTS I find over the past while but I can assure you its not exactly post whoring.

There are alot of registered members who solely come to ATS for the games and laid back chat. They are not interested in JFK, Area 51 or any other conspiracy.

BTS is to Deny Boredom

That is what its there for.

Laid back chat is not post whoring.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dk2852
I believe that the chatroom system at ATS is unfair. 200 posts to chat is simply outrageous. I have just joined and it could take me months to gain that many posts.

Thats kind of the point.

You just joined. You odn't like the rules, so instead of u2ing administration, or lodging a complaint, you start a public thread over it, for the sake of drama.

Thats why we don't reward some posters with the Chat Function.

Thats why we don't just give it away to new and possibly irresponsible members.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaryn

ATS is an outstanding site and fantastic resource, but encouraging spamming by rewarding those that spam the most is the one drawback.

ON the other hand, it permits us to reward members who've been around for a while. Its not a perfect system, but it seems to work.

Besides, why would someone come here, to post nothing, to get points, to.....change their background color??? The points are pretty useless unless you are a participating ATS poster. If you are, then you're not going to be too concerned about having a lot of points. Ironically, you will probably get lots of points, from posting and being applauded for making good posts.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I've sometimes wanted to get to chat because someone has been there whose writings I enjoy reading, but since I'm not a prolific poster I don't have the required post count yet. I have absolutely no problem with that. I'm sure I could go to BTS and increase my post count into thousands in no time, but I rather wait and post when I really do feel that I have something relevant to contribute.
And since I've been on IRC since late '89, I don't think that I need another chat habit that bad, mm'kay?

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
dont bother coming to chat when either me,rogue 1,omega, picklewalsh,crooked blue,wolfwar, relentless, jak's or shorty are there...it just wastes your day talking complete dribble...but having said that...it is fun.

get posting and get your chat reward, or start your own chat site and invite us all.

regards.

MMP

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think 200 posts is actually a little low (I don't have 200 posts myself) given the fact you rack up BTS posts. In my opinion, the limit should be raised to 500 - however, the ability to buy into chat should also be added. I have already made a suggestion. If you could buy into chat for 10,000 points it might encourage newer members who don't post that often to tag older threads. That would make them more familiar with content already posted and may help cut down on duplicate threads (or maybe just in a perfect world :puz
. But then again, who really cares? There tons of free places to chat!

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
ATS is a massive board with a huge membership. With it growing by the day, the requirements for certain aspects of the board are only going to be reinforced. With no doubt this has deffinately been discussed many of times, and will still be discussed in the future. As many other issues with the board are on a regular basis.

The larger the board gets, the more importance is layed on these restrictions.

ATS is like a relationship, you give it alittle and it will give alittle in return. You give alot, your going to get alot. Only ATS wears the paints in this relationship.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
its fair enough...

i guess its easy for me to say because i have 4000 plus posts though

don't you think it is better to be rewarded for your contributions???

i think so...

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I create alot of avatars for members, and frequenty visit BTS. I seem to post less and less on BTS I find over the past while but I can assure you its not exactly post whoring.

I think I accidentally hit a nerve here. Just to clarify:

I did not 'target' my previous post at anyone, but at a general mentality of some posters. I haven't seen you 'post whoring' in any sense of the phrase - pardon my lack of clarity earlier.

On a side note: there seems to be an interesting logic that goes along with the "more is better" mentality: The more someone posts, the more knowledgable they are and the greater worth their opinions have. By this logic I know nearly nothing and my opinions have roughly the value of a 6 year old's opinion on quantum physics, therefore all of this isn't worth taking note of or taking exception to. So, adopt that perpective and simply ignore me, I don't have a clue and my opinions don't matter anyway.

Anyway, I'll return to lurking (occasionally debating or pontificating) and let the rest of you return to chatting - sorry for the interruption and no hard feelings, OK?

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaryn

I think I accidentally hit a nerve here. Just to clarify:

I did not 'target' my previous post at anyone, but at a general mentality of some posters. I haven't seen you 'post whoring' in any sense of the phrase - pardon my lack of clarity earlier.

Never hit a nerve with me. I was just explaining something your not familiar with. Some members of the board who spend alot of time on BTS are viewed as post whores, but the fact is this is why they registered for the board. I realize you directed nothing towards me, or any individual member so I'm taken back at your comment.

On a side note: there seems to be an interesting logic that goes along with the "more is better" mentality: The more someone posts, the more knowledgable they are and the greater worth their opinions have. By this logic I know nearly nothing and my opinions have roughly the value of a 6 year old's opinion on quantum physics, therefore all of this isn't worth taking note of or taking exception to. So, adopt that perpective and simply ignore me, I don't have a clue and my opinions don't matter anyway.

What exactly are you talking about? When did anyone on ATS say you needed a long red bar to know anything?

Anyway, I'll return to lurking (occasionally debating or pontificating) and let the rest of you return to chatting - sorry for the interruption and no hard feelings, OK?

Do as you wish.

Not exactly sure where any of that came from. Maybe I hit the nerve with you when I simply tried to explain the mentality of BTS. Any of the members I have come across whether it be ATS or BTS have no concern with how many posts they have. ATS is a place to pass the time and enjoy a discussion, not a contest of who has the bigger bar or who has more points.

Anyways,

Happy Reading.

[edit on 12-5-2006 by chissler]

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Sorry, maybe I should have skipped the whole thing (or at least the second part - it just came to mind that I got annoyed by someone not that long ago trying to put down another poster's statements with something like 'well, how many articles have you contributed? You have no room to talk!' - if I can find it, I'll u2u it to you).

My apologies to all, especially the original poster for side-tracking his thread like this.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Certainly no need to apoligize.

But most of the membership that I have come across find no relevance in the length of the bar or even how many points one has.

Redness of the bar is one thing that can distinguish members apart slightly, but still is no determining factor of anything.

If someone were to judge anothers intelligence by an ATS guideline, I would think that is an indication of that individuals intelligence in itself.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I would love to chat.
But 200 is fair and gives me something to work toward?

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I've never understood this passion for the Chat room. We have u2u's and can converse easily. That only takes 20 posts, that would be less than an hour for Nygdan.

You know I'm just pulling your can man.

Look at it this way, everything at ATS is FREE. No money down and No monthly payments. It's set up this way for reasons that have already been laid out and I don't see that policy being changed anytime soon, nor do I think it should.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dk2852
u have been here for 3 months. Im sure that with 3-5 posts per day u could get there. Still what if u don't want to wait for months.

Don't give up buddy... Yuo've just made 15 more posts. Another thread like this and you are ready for chating

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
200 posts is very reasonable. Keep it at that, not that i use the chat room often but if i had the time i would.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join