It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone heard of Mirikata

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2003 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Just wondering if anyone has heard of the now completely deserted (in quiet a hurry it seems)secret base in Australia's desert called MIRIKATA??

i would like to hear from someone who can tell me a bit more about this place. it is the first i have heard of it...

posted on Oct, 18 2003 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I thought I might add these pictures.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Interesting story.

Usual for around here, a good topic gets no posts but BS wins.

Anyways, my impression when I read the story about this base is that it has gone underground to avoid detection. Maybe to evade aliens even? Just a hunch because I can't see why they would hide from the Aussie Military.

Certainly the public is always a concern when there are secrets to be kept.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 01:02 AM
link   
as one who mainly discusses spiritual matters; it seems interesting that they would abandon the whole base...

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I heard they went underground. They are still there or around that area...but underground.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Mirikata was a "Metereological monitoring post"
Which was opened in Feb 1959.
And the purpose of this base for one aspect was
to measure ionospheric stability and field strengths.

The activation of Mirikata and some additional 10 stations was hastened by the requirements of the AWRE atomic tests in Australia, which also saw British radiosonde observations at the Monte Bello Islands.

Theres some info I scavenged up...

Its a pretty old base now and from those pics it looks just like a weather station and doesnt seem to have much in the way of monitoring equipment(possibly has been dismantled though) bar that dish on the roof which looks like it would be mainly for picking up SKY TV and the little crane on the side for hoisting up the kegs of beer to the roof.....Aussies and thier BBQs.... "throw another shrimp on the Barbie"...

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I havent. Good thread though. A lot of good info

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Interesting... whats that blue splotch in the last photo... could it be planet x?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
just stuffing around on line and i stumbled across this..in 1982 as an 8 year old i stayed in the ex army barrocks at mirikata.my father was employed to remove the generators and caretake for a short time..as far as underground bases go im not too sure , the only bumbs i heard in the night was us shooting rabbits,..when i was there in 1982 the place had been deserted for a fair while .i was always led to believe it was a tracking station for test rockets sent from woomera ..at the time there were still rockets lying in the desert surrounded by fences.we were told they were rockets that didnt explode..thats why they were fenced...and no i didnt see any aliens..im going to try to get back up there soon.as i still know one of the owners of the property..

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I have knowledge of Mirikata. Having been there when in full use...J. R. Glasgow.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I spent some time there in the late seventies. At that time it was occupied by a caretaker and his wife. The site had two large (20 metre?) and one small dish. The site was powered by a diesel generation system with backup that could power a small town(maybe even a large one). Whilst there a rocket test fire was monitored from the site, so it was very busy for about a week, and then back to nothing. In its heyday it would have been quite an oasis in the desert. It had (motel) accomodation for visitors with pool (empty) and tennis court (overgrown). There is an old air strip 3k's to the West. Bomb shelters were provided for all the local farmers who leased the Commonwealth land. The ones I saw were all reinforced above ground shelters. The site is about 650 K's from Adelaide and almost 400 k's from teh original atomic test sites at Maralinga. Low res pictures on Google Earth at 29 54' 32" S 135 14' 30" E.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Spica

Hi,
Mirikata was an instrumentation site on the Woomera Range. Located there was one of the two AN-FPS16 instrumetation radars that WRE owned [the other was at Red Lake.]and telemetry equipment. It was used to track the various missiles fired on the Range. I worked there on the radar from 1962 to 1966. [If you want to know more about the radar take a look at:- www.honeysucklecreek.net/other_stations/red_lake/fps-16.html]
It was inside the Range area and thus closed to the public, so in that sense was "secret". It was closed down when the need for the radar went away. I understand that the camp site was bought by people who opened it as a motel, although it would hardly have been 4 star-the rooms were only big enough to contain a single bed etc, and the shower block, using very salty bore water, which required the use of sea water soap, was separate from the accomodation blocks. When the 'new' main road, somewhat to teh west of the old one, was built it would have presumably just folded through lack of patrionage.
Nevertheless, in the time I was there it was a social centre for the rural community, people would regularly drive up to 300 kms to come the the movies, have a couple of beers, and then drive home again-that is despite the secrecy of the work done there, the camp itself was open to people from the surrounding area..

top topics

join