It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domestic Spying probe Stopped?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Ok here is the link to an AP report about the domestic wiretapping probe being stopped.

AP link here

Exerpt from the article:

The government has abruptly ended an inquiry into the warrantless eavesdropping program because the National Security Agency refused to grant Justice Department lawyers the necessary security clearance to probe the matter.

Isn't this kinda like the police about to do a search of a house, then STOPPING at the front door saying "It's locked, we can't get in, guess we will stop the investigation"

Am I the only one this really bothers? I can't find other topics on it, and if there are others, please link to the threads here, so I can join in.

Mod Edit: cap title

[edit on 10-5-2006 by kinglizard]

mod edit to use "ex" tags instead of "quote" tags
Quote Reference.
Posting work written by others. **All Members Read**

[edit on 11-5-2006 by sanctum]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
They already said a while ago that they wouldn't allow it since it would violate national security. They have their butts pretty well covered. They can't have a court case without evidence. What can they do? Arrest the head of the NSA? Bush would pardon him in a minute. Its a great little deal they got going for themselves.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Yes, they are getting very good at shielding themselves. So basically nobody can ever investigate ANYTHING the NSA does???

Ok, the wiretapping was proven illegal...but there is no way to investigate or arrest anyone? What kind of system do we have here?

You can't look into what the NSA does, so that gives them free reign to do whatever, whenever, to whoever they want. The public will forget about the wiretapping, and we will all have our phone conversations, email, any electronic medium monitored from now on.

My old fashioned grandma says "If you don't have anything to hide you will not mind". Well I think differently: I have nothing to hide, but I still don't want my private conversations stored in a database somewhere, where some curious person with the right job can look at the records and see who I have been talking to, where my money is going, what kind of toilet paper I buy, etc.

This really drives me nuts...but noone freak out, because "We are doing it for your protection"

Amazing system we have here. I joined the Army, so I accepted the fact they owned me then, but now that I am a civilian I EXPECT my freedoms, but we are losing them all!!!

Please someone, show me a bright side!!!!

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
They didn't have "the need to know", so they weren't given the security clearance to investigate.

That is the spook worlds "out", the "need to know" basis.

NSA has a Black budget, virtually everything about them is Black. No one there will get fired or jailed. Possibly "advised" to retire with a nice pension, that's about it, maybe. But that would be an internal thing, not public.

new topics

top topics

join