It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US sees ethnic minority baby boom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
After seeing all the anti-EU stuff on this board and especially the argument we are being "outbred" by immigrants (depsite the fact that cost of living prohibits them having any more babies than the rest of us), I noticed this on the BBC:

Nearly half of American children aged under five are from an ethnic minority, according to a new report from the US Census Bureau.
The latest figures show 45% of US pre-schoolers are non-white, with the Latino population growing the fastest.

Of the overall US population, one-third are now from an ethnic minority.

newsvote.bbc.co.uk...

Seems you guys have the same "problem". Especially seeing as you also have a large, illegal and somewhat hostile Latino population, this looks alot more worrisome than anything you claim is happening in the EU.

Should be an interesting one.....

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I wonder if part of the reason is the fact that if a female is in labor in Mexico, and steps across the border, to give birth. The baby is now an "anchor citizen".
A full fledged American citizen, birthed by a non-citizen.
Just like that!

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Strangley quiet this one. I would have thought that with all the stuff spouted on here about Europes aging population and decreasing birth rates, some may have picked this one up....

My 2 cents for now though:

I think we will see this trend across all developed nations in the coming years. It is only natural. However, what one has to bear in mind is that while these minorites have 38 children back in their home countries, it doesn't mean they can/will do the same in their new homes.

Cost of living and rearing children is a main stubbling block, also they do not need that many children as they don't have farms and what not that need tending.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
This full fledged US Citizen is now eligible for all types of assistance from the local welfare office, which by law cannot report the illegal parent to INS.

It's a trend seen all to often by states which have a large illegal population.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
You seems to have a sensible feeling on this. Basically the more we can bring the world into economic prosperity without too much disparity the more all peoples birth rates will eventually stabilize and the result could be a very fortunate, equally represented diversity of race. Its possible our systems could produce ethnic equilibrium and put the final nail in the coffin of this annoying concept of minority.
Well I mean we'll still have political minorities I spose, but there are just irrelevant distinctions that dont bear on most issues.

top topics

join