It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doesn't Anyone Like America?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Come on, Doesn't Anyone Like America?

If So, How can you hate it so much?

Here's an idea, If you don't like it, leave. No one says you have to stay.

Why cause all this nonsense?

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I will say this for everyone who is thinking it....

WTF?

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Well we do have the right of freedom of speech and if one wants to speak out their opinions against the government, they are free to do so.

Just because I don't like some of the things that may be going on in my country at the moment does not mean that I hate it or that I want to leave.

Moving out of a country isn't exactly an easy thing for most people. It takes quite a bit of money and planning to relocate to another country. Therefore if someone truly is not happy with the USA, that doesn't mean they are able to just get up and leave.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I basically agree with Tommy....well...slightly.

People who CHOOSE to go live in America it being the land of opportunity and what not...and then go and complain about the way the country is being run...well, they can go home....

That's right immigrants. You don't like it? You can go back home, back home to where people are shooting each other in the main streets in the middle of the day, tanks rolling through your house ect.

It might be slightly racist but hey...I don't care

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArchangelOfCool
I basically agree with Tommy....well...slightly.

People who CHOOSE to go live in America it being the land of opportunity and what not...and then go and complain about the way the country is being run...well, they can go home....

That's right immigrants. You don't like it? You can go back home, back home to where people are shooting each other in the main streets in the middle of the day, tanks rolling through your house ect.

It might be slightly racist but hey...I don't care

Ah..when you put it like that, I agree with Tommy too!

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by tommy1701
Come on, Doesn't Anyone Like America?

If So, How can you hate it so much?

Here's an idea, If you don't like it, leave. No one says you have to stay.

Why cause all this nonsense?

I'm afraid that this post is just not a very smart one. How can I hate America so much?

I don't. There are lots of things I like about America.

Blues, jazz, funk. The space programme. Websites like this one.

But the fact remains that the US government is seen, around the world, as pretty evil, especially lately, what with invading oil-rich countries on flimsy pretexts and all, and generally acting like a schoolyard bully.

And there are so many things I don't like about the culture, don't even get me started. I worked there for a while and indeed left for the sake of my own sanity.

But your assumption is that everyone who 'hates' America is still there. Now I know that the US is hell-bent on world domination, but quite a number of ATS posters still live in countries as yet not officially part of the US. To which planet would you prefer them to go?

As for freedom of expression... one of my friends was doing a float for a Labor Day parade or some such, and they were prohibited from displaying the motto that they wanted for their float. What was it?

"America. Coming soon to a country near YOU."

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
"America. Coming soon to a country near YOU."

Ah, now I agree with you too! Even more I think! Where will this end?

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I've never got that “if you don't like it leave" mentality. It just speaks of cowardice towards reform or change to me.

If someone said that to me when I was discussing Scottish politics, I’d politely ask to see where this exit door was, then I'd ask them if they’d like to try out the new fangled kind of exit.

Apparently called 'the window'.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
The fact that American...."culture" is spreading around the world hardly makes it bad does it?

One would think that if other countries are accepting the American "culture" then it's good....we rule opinions by majoritys...so more people use it, the better it must be

I've never got that “if you don't like it leave" mentality. It just speaks of cowardice towards reform or change to me.

I've always thought it was a good way to think, not so much if you were born in the country or if you were brought there very young, but people who choose to come to America later in life, and then expect the country to change to suit them, not the people that were born there and were already there. It's just selfishness really.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   

I've always thought it was a good way to think, not so much if you were born in the country or if you were brought there very young, but people who choose to come to America later in life, and then expect the country to change to suit them, not the people that were born there and were already there. It's just selfishness really.

I wasn't referring to America, I was referring to one of those other mystical fairytale countrys that only exist on maps.

Fair enough, piss everybody off and then expect everyone to conform to the controlling subset of the populous at the same time if you want. But if you want your country to last at least 1000 years, it pays to listen to the others that make up said country.

[edit on 12-5-2006 by kegs]

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I was born and raised in the US. Now I want to leave. It just isn't as easy as it sounds. I don't have enough points to become a Canadian immigrant and I wouldn't have enough income in Central or South America. We can't get a passport for our son, so going overseas is out of the question.

For people like me, the 'love it or leave it' ideal just doesn't work.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Well I love this country.
So much so that I served her in the Marines and the rest of my life in the service of the Police.
I traveled quite a bit in the Corp. overseas and then on my own and well if you really want out, I will gladly buy the plane ticket.
We are hated overseas because we are envied. We have all of the "things" that they want, but they do not want to work for them. We have a history of giving our blood, our soldiers lives for the freedom for you to hate this country and still live here.
It is because men and women have died that you can "disagree" on here. Not being censured as they are in China.
Those men and women loved this Country, loved it enough to freely and gladly die for Her.
Hate Her? NO.. I love her enough to die for her. I still get tears when I hear the anthem and see the flag. The Marine Hymn brings me to my feet and the Pledge my hand to my heart.
Those that hate her, or disguise their hatred with, "I'm only disagreeing" they have that right because of the men and women that bravely have and still stand for all this Country is.
Polls are down, the current administration is out of favor, the war in Iraq is soundly thrashed in the media. Yet reenlistment of the men and women in Iraq is at a rate NEVER before seen in our history. That my friends is true patriotism! Interviews with the soldiers there tell us of the pride they feel in the accomplishments they are achieving.
YES, YES, YES I love my country.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
We are hated overseas because we are envied.

Honestly. You are not envied, by most western countries, or hated either.

We have all of the "things" that they want, but they do not want to work for them.

What "things" do you mean?

It is because men and women have died that you can "disagree" on here. Not being censured as they are in China.

Here's a few you missed... www.google.ca...

Yet reenlistment of the men and women in Iraq is at a rate NEVER before seen in our history.

A new poll to be released today shows that U.S. soldiers overwhelmingly want out of Iraq — and soon. LINK. and apperently they enlist by targeting poor black unemployed young men.

Interviews with the soldiers there tell us of the pride they feel in the accomplishments they are achieving.

See above!

YES, YES, YES I love my country.

Good for you. I agree the US is a great country. But its going down the pan so fast its unbelievable. Who would have thought the US would be in a corner like they are now 15yr ago?

Peace
McP.

[edit on 13/5/06 by Mcphisto]

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
There will always be nay-sayers. That is the way of human nature. I was perhaps too encompassing in my last post. I have not, of course, been everywhere, yet I have traveled extensively in South America and Mexico, Korea and two places in Japan. Okinawa and parts of the Middle East. Denmark and Canada. As well as 42 of the 50 states.

There have always been foretellers of doom, the end times and the downfall of America is no different. I can only post on what I have seen and experienced in my travels and interaction with other countries and the indigenous peoples.

The one thing that we have? FREEDOM. Yes I know that will get a rise from some and a laugh from others, yet I have sat, eating at a cafe', in other countries and watched the soldiers walk by with AK47's slung from their shoulders. I have seen men taken into custody, knowing they have no right to representation. All of this and more has made me understand how wonderful we are and how precious the gift is that has cost so many lives.

I have no intention of arguing with any on here. If you dislike, hate or are indifferent to America, that is your right. I fought so that you could have that right as well.

This is just me, expressing my emotions about My Country and My Love for Her.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I like the states. I've been there twice and will go back again to spend time with my friends there in August. But as some patriotic fool implied, I, we, do NOT envy you guys. 99% (exaggeration) of the people I saw over there looked more like whales that human beings. I was grossed out. Your president is a dork and needs to stop acting like he owns the world, and the christian cults over there need to shut the # up. MTV should shut down, as it along with most of the other propaganda you are filling yourselves and us foreigners with is so packed with double moral it makes me puke.

But then again, Afghanistan ain't that much better

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
And see, there is proof.
Why debate when you can resort to epitaphs such as.
1. Patriotic fool. (I will take that name anytime and wear it proudly)
2. We are Whales. (we have enough food to feed our people)
3. Dork, Christian cults and "shut the # up. (More envy)
4. And finally for some strange reason he wants to shut down MTV. (don't they have channel changers in other countries?)

The first initial indicator is the intense inability to engage in a conversation without the use of course, inappropriate or offensive language.

AHHHH
Ain't America Great

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   

And see, there is proof.
4. And finally for some strange reason he wants to shut down MTV. (don't they have channel changers in other countries?)

The first initial indicator is the intense inability to engage in a conversation without the use of course, inappropriate or offensive language.

Let's debate this logically.

Semperfortis, you said you have visited many places. I am sure on your travels you found things to like and dislike about the countries and people you met. Based on this experience, it would be fair to say that:

1. You dislike some things (poverty, government, corruption, weather) about X country
2. You like (food, aspect of culture/history/, drink, people) of X country
3. Regardless of like or dislike you would not want to live in any country other than your own

Therefore it is quite possibly that folks from around the world might feel the same about America.

For example, I like Japan for its fascinating mythology of modern and past. I love Mexico because the people are so humble and incredibly trusting and friendly. I love France because of its deeply, ingrained love of food and appreciation of fine wines. All these countries have their negative aspects and yet... you could not accuse me of being envious because I dislike the way they do things. I dislike eating snails, it doesnt make me envious of being French.

Furthermore, it IS possible to like and dislike a country at the same time. Every place I've lived in has its good and bad things that they do better than anyone else. The US is no exception. I love the sense of space in the United States, I like the eclectic mix of styles, of non-stop 24 hr shopping, dining, films, innovative trends, great cities, fun and interesting people, I dislike or disagree with the US president, politics, government, wars, economy, ecological and environmental views. I realise some of the positives are the direct cause of some of my negative opinions, but that is another argument for another time.

My point is, just because I dislike certain aspects doesn't make me envious of the US. I STILL don't want to live there, just like you would not want to live in Canada or Denmark correct? It doesn't make you envious, just makes you entitled to your own opinion about the choices you make.

You love your country and you've made it quite clear and I respect your views. For those of us who don't share in your love, understand we have our own reasons and those deserve respect as well. Perhaps we simply feel happy living where we do.

Disagreement doesn't deserve an automatic tag of envy.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Semperfortis, you say you're glad to have the epithet "patriotic fool". Well, phew, that's a relief, because that's how it looks from here. Strangely, there are many many people all over the world who love their own country and wouldn't move to America if they were paid handsomely to do so. I am one of them. I am British and I enjoy living in the UK, but the more it becomes like the US, the less I like it.

Unfortunately, you're clinging to illusions to sustain your patriotism, the foremost of which is that old standby "they hate us for our freedoms". I worked on cruise ships for a while and was around the US when 9/11 happened. I - unlike many US citizens - have a reasonable grasp of the way the US interferes in the business of nations around the world, imposing death squad democracies for commercial ends and calling it "fighting communism". I watched for a while as the US reeled in shock, and then retreated to the "hate us for our freedoms" argument, which is so much easier than admitting US culpability.

Look at Iraq. No sane, rational person can believe that intervention there has been a positive thing UNLESS they are taking a cold strategic geopolitical stance. From that POV, it's the necessary precursor to securing control of the oil resources of the region and keeping Russia and China out of there.

There were no WMDs, democracy is but a fiction, and the security of the citizens is utterly compromised. A hated army of occupation walks the streets, death squads are on the loose, and the US is doing its best to foment civil war.

Mind you, all this will continue even more when Jeb Bush becomes President

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
It is Tough being the last Superpower.

Your arguements only substantiate my feelings.

GO USA!!!!
Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.

I do not expect YOU to love her. Especially those from countries less fortunate than my own.

Yet, I do. I love all that she is, has stood for and stands for.
That some of you do not? What could that possibly matter to me. We are strong, very strong and will just keep on getting stronger. Yes, I know some nay-sayers will of course say we are doomed, or some such drivel. It is always that way when you are number 1. We accept that being number one, we are the biggest target and must suffer the ridicule of those that are not.
We accept it, we revel in it, we delight in the criticism, for we are the United States of America.
From sea to shining sea.
Home of Charlie Daniels, the Pittsburg Steelers and Apple Pie. The Grand Canyon, Space Shuttle and Breyers Icecream.
HURRAH for the USA

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   

And see, there is proof.

AHHHH
Ain't America Great

1: Claiming that everybody envy you because America is the most awesome country ever earns you my fool stamp.
2: Obviously you do not understand the intended effect of exaggeration. Walking down the street in Hollywood I did notice a LOT of you guys we're above what I call healthy normal weight though. I've read articles about you having to increase the size of car seats, and recently the army had to change the BMI requirements because you couldn't recruit what we pathetic Europeans call average sized personell. I do not have direct links but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see why. What is so great about junk food (or the political correct term "fast food" you chose to use) is cheaper than healthy food?
3: I do not envy anyone going to war because God told them to.
4: I despise MTV and the message it sends. Apparently, cursing is bad. You are not allowed to say the word "F U C K" because it can offend people. Oh my god, a word! That involves sexuality! :O But still, you guys are very good at creating material that without doubt refers to these actions, let me illustrate:

Christina Aguilera looking sexy, oops, I mean dancing:

This is perfectly ok though, because fortunately she was smart enough to cover her nipples. I mean, if I saw a nipple, I'd be sooo offended and sue someone because nipples aren't approperiate.

Holy mother of Jehova! Behind that metal object, you can barely see it!
This sure calls for a lawsuit. Christina Aguilera's music video was ok though, as it wasn't sexually aimed at all.

What?

[edit on 14-5-2006 by Panzeroth]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join