It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exorcisms?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I have been looking in to the exorcist branch of the Church, and I haven't really found any information on what actually takes place in an exorcism. Anyone have any resources for me?

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
do a google search on the roman ritual.
or watch the exorcist.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I prefer not to get my information from movies.... But it does seem that the vatican has a sort of "exorcist handbook", I can probably find that somewhere.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Hi onesimus///

Exorcisms are performed by a priest .........

Christ Himself often expels demons from the possessed (Mark 1:23-27; Luke 4:33-35, 9:43; Matt. 10:1; Mark 16:17; Matt. 7:22).
The New Testament, however, rejected popular uses of magic incantations and rites to expel the satanic powers from people, because they took advantage of superstitious religiosity (Acts 19:13).

In the name of Christ, one is able to cast out demons and to destroy the evil powers (Matt. 10:8).
The possession of individuals by the devil and demonic powers and the cure in the name of Christ is evidenced in the New Testament (Acts 3:2-8, 9:32-42; 20:7-12; Matt. 10:8; Mark 16:17-18).

To read more ....

EXORCISM

There is also spritual deception.......not just anyone can perform an EXORCISM......just as it was written in the New Testament.....

of the Jews in the Acts (19:15), to whose "exorcism" the evil spirit replied: "Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?"
St. John Cassian, the great 5th-century Orthodox father of the West, who wrote with great discernment on the working of the Holy Spirit in his Conference on "Divine Gifts," notes that "sometimes the demons [work miracles] in order to lift into pride the man who believes himself to possess the miraculous gift, and so prepare him for a more miraculous fall.

Attitude Toward
"Spiritual" Experiences.........
Sign of the times

Also ...
www.roca.org...

To banish the demons who tempt people, the Church instituted and uses a special service called exorcism. The verb exorcism comes from the Greek word, exorkizein; ex means "out," and horkizein means "to bind by an oath" from horkos, "oath"; to expel or drive off (an evil spirit) by adjuration, especially by use of a holy name; to deliver (a person, place, etc.) from evil spirits. Consequently exorcism means an act or process of exorcising; conjuration of evil spirits.

And finally......
"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" (Rom. 12:21); "Therefore, take the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand". Ephesians 6:13
Read more.....
www.goarch.org...

If anyone is interested, there is a story about a Sorcerer who lived in the third century and how he defeated Demons .......

IN THE REIGN of Decius (249-251) there lived in Antioch (of Pisidia) a certain philosopher and renowned sorcerer whose name was Cyprian, a native of Carthage. Springing from impious parents, in his very childhood he was dedicated by them to the service of the pagan god Apollo.
At the age of seven he was given over to magicians for the study of sorcery and demonic wisdom.

www.orthodoxinfo.com...

Take care/
IX
helen

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Wow, thanks a lot for all the information. It helps, especially since I'm consider being a pastor or maybe a theologist.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
If you want to become a Pastor you aren't going to want/use the Roman Catholic Ritual. Not all protestants believe in exorcisms, but such groups as the Pentecostals do. The protestant ritual is much less formal and just involves screaming at the "possessed" person and smacking them on the head ad nauseum.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
True, but I might not always be a Lutheran. And either way these things are interesting to know.

Originally posted by Baphomet79
Not all protestants believe in exorcisms

I don't see any reason not to believe in them, Jesus and his disciples did them, and in acts I think it is the disciples try to stop a man that is preforming exorcisms but Jesus stops them and says that whoever is not against us is for us. Or something like that, I tried to look it up but I didnt have time to find it.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Onesimus
I prefer not to get my information from movies

In this case the movie is actually accurate.

But it does seem that the vatican has a sort of "exorcist handbook"

There isn't a handbook. The ritual consists of simply a prayer.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
actually prayer and fasting.....go together.

When an apostle could not exorcise a demon...Jesus told him that prayer and fasting was needed.
Also Not just anyone can do this........as in the N.T says......

The possession of individuals by the devil and demonic powers and the cure in the name of Christ is evidenced in the New Testament (Acts 3:2-8, 9:32-42; 20:7-12; Matt. 10:8; Mark 16:17-18). The Church continues in its liturgical rites what Christ enacted in His ministry.

In the New Testament, Christ sent out His apostles to heal and to "cast out devils" (Matt. 10:8, Luke 10:17-20).
Christ Himself often expels demons from the possessed (Mark 1:23-27; Luke 4:33-35, 9:43; Matt. 10:1; Mark 16:17; Matt. 7:22).
The New Testament, however, rejected popular uses of magic incantations and rites to expel the satanic powers from people, because they took advantage of superstitious religiosity (Acts 19:13).

Jesus Christ was actually tempted after He was babtised by St John the Babtist...temptations are always......

new topics

top topics

join