It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You don't have a clue!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Ever read someone's post and think that?

Ever wish there was a way to pin them down and dissect their arguments?

Well now you can!

All you have to do is, in thread, issue a debate challenge to a specific person on a specific topic, and point them out to this thread.

If they accept, then one of you can U2U me, with a "single post" link to the one that started the argument, and we will set up a mini-debate within the Debate Forum. The two of you will present your ideas, offer rebuttals, and the Debate will be judged by a panel of judges. Both participants will get "Fighter" titles as part of the process.

This way, there's no ignoring of one another's most salient points, people will have to address the issues. No squirming or dodging allowed!

Don't start debates over silly issues. Not all debate applications will be accepted for the debate forum. Both members will have to be prepared to set aside time to engage in the debate.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Wow, excellent idea

I can see this working really well, I'm just surprised it wasn't thought of sooner. Like it

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Capital!

Mad propz to whoever came up with this one!

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Okay, I challenge you to every thread I've ever seen you on, Nygdan

What's the point really though? Everyone already just debates on threads... that's the whole point, or they'd all be done in one post, or filled with everyone agreeing. You're just taking material that belongs on a thread of the proper topic, and moving it completely out of context to a generic forum. So we're just going to have a bunch of material that people should really hear thrown away into a forum no one visits (or at least I don't), when it should be seen by the people who are interested in it most, in their own topic-related forums.

I don't like it being between two people, so structured and locked-down. If there is a right and wrong, why not just let everyone in on the action that can lend some information? If there isn't a defined right and wrong, why waste the time having a debate that will not solve anything? It's just going to push two rivals even further apart. And it ruins the whole sense of community.

Uh oh. Looks like we need a debate for this thread already.

[edit on 10-5-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This could turn out to be fun.

Nygdan, are staff included in this, as well?

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
This could turn out to be fun.

GOT to be. I can't wait to see one of those cage matches.

I think this is a great idea. The regular threads will still be available for the typical chaos, but this will allow head-to-head debate without the random goofball (like me) chiming in and taking the thread askew.

Cug

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Oh man what a freakin great idea!!!!!!!

What would the format be like?

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I have contacted YIAWETA via u2u and have issued the following challenge.

A debate on the John Lennon assassination and the so-called fabrication of the Beatles.

[edit on 10-5-2006 by chissler]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This is a great idea. I can't tell you how annoyed the dodgers get me. Can we develop a new smiley that resembles a :glove slap:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I agree it may be a good idea but it can get very heated and can make some people animosity toward one another greater.

It may work for some but not for others so I imagine that monitoring will be very close.

I for one will never agree to be put in a situation like this of one on one, I like the way I have been doing so far and I enjoy the posts.

So if anybody is thinking to challenge me, thanks but no thanks.

Good luck for anybody that will decided to try this new endeavor.

Have fun.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
w0w0w0w...

amazing idea that should be totally fun

who thought of this (nygdan)???

major cudos to the ATSers that did...

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin

What's the point really though?
[edit on 10-5-2006 by Yarcofin]

OTHER PEOPLE are interetsed? That could be a point no?

Dude... The words lighten UP come to mind immediately, and, the concept of "If you're not interested, IGNORE IT comes to mind right after that.

I would also advise against taking the GREAT Nygdan "on" in any debate.

Springer...

[edit on 5-10-2006 by Springer]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Looks like we might have our first debate challenge brewing already.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Great Idea

Will these debates have the same rules as regular debates...24hr post periods, word limits, links, etc...etc...

Sporty

[edit on 10/5/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin

What's the point really though? Everyone already just debates on threads... that's the whole point, or they'd all be done in one post, or filled with everyone agreeing.

I can understand what you are getting at.

The thing that makes this different is that its more structured, if someone doesn't respond to your salient points the judges will notice it, they'll get called on it, and there won't be any question of people 'not getting around' to that particular point, or shrugging off the evidence For the more well researched ones, there will be time to compose responses rather than posting reactions. Citations will be encouraged, and that in itself will condense the evidence involved and make an excellent reference for those viewing the debates.

Plus, after winning, you get to say 'neeener neeener neeeeeeeeennnneeeer'.

And thats just fun.

You're just taking material that belongs on a thread of the proper topic, and moving it completely out of context to a generic forum.

People will still be able to continue their threads as normal. The sort of points that they'll be able to bring up will be the sort that they wouldn't normally get to in a discussion thread, where there are many people discussing different aspects of a wide topic simulateously.

So we're just going to have a bunch of material that people should really hear thrown away into a forum no one visits (or at least I don't),

Really? Thats your loss my man! There are some incredible discussions in that forum!

when it should be seen by the people who are interested in it most,
People who are interseted in a subject will be able to follow it there. Anyone following the originating thread will be able to see the discussion continued in thread, and if they are really interested, see an incredible exposition of the topic in the debate forum.

I don't like it being between two people, so structured and locked-down.
Then feel free to not particpate or view it. Feel free to decline any challenges offered to you.

If there is a right and wrong,

Just because there is a decision at the end hardly means that its the right decision and that "The Truth", if there is such a thing on the matter being debated, has been revealed.

why not just let everyone in on the action that can lend some information?

Because then it wouldn't be a debate?

If there isn't a defined right and wrong, why waste the time having a debate that will not solve anything?

Who's time is wasted by it? Only people that want to be inovlved and see it as worthwhile will participate.

It's just going to push two rivals even further apart. And it ruins the whole sense of community.
See, if you had been checking out the debate forum, you'd see that it encourages the sense of community. We all joke around about them being Fighters, but there is a real warrior ethic that develops between participants, they're diametrically opposed, they're trying to cut each other's legs out from under them, but when its all over, they practically have a beer and sing a song together!
"hey remember when I shredded your logical syllogism to peices, man that was great!"

Looks like we need a debate for this thread already.
\
Meh. What would be the point.
JK

Parrhesia

Dang thats a good idea!

Cug
What would the format be like?

We can tailor that to the needs of the participants and amount of time that judges will be able to give to the project. But I'd say that the default would be just like a debate within the Debate Tournament, each gets an opening statement, three replies, then a closer, with a time limit of 24 hours between each.
But if a topic wasn't that expansive, we could make it one response between opening and closing. We could even leave it open ended and have the debate moderator decide when to stop, the benefit is that we can be very flexible.

rasobasi420
Can we develop a new smiley that resembles a :glove slap:

I was totally considering doing that or something like it for a while, but figured, lets just get this thing started!

who thought of this (nygdan)???

No no no, this is something thats been floating around for a while, in the air, as they say.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This should greatly reduce the amount of off-topic debates that are sometimes carried over by opponents over multiple threads and forums.

[edit on 10/5/06 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Just in case you want to preserve the DEBATE forum for full fledged debates.

You might start a mini debate forum...

I would call it:

"TAKE IT OUTSIDE GUYS!"

anyway, my 2 pesos..

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Love it. Gonna see if I can start one right now!!

TheBorg

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Sounds like a great idea. I wanna get involved some, so I'll go off a huntin' for stray game, aye boys?

ps. did anyone else just experience the 1/2 - 1 hours down time on ats?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Ever wish there was a way to pin them down and dissect their arguments?

I'd like to debate WyrdeOne on whether or not it's acceptible for me to throw a fit over him wearing my debate pennant
Just Kidding. I know that the pennant is, at very best, second priority to sorting out the intermitent slowdown problem from the server-switch, and more realistically, somewhere around priority 57, just above adding one or two new shades of grey to the ATS color scheme.

On a more serious note, I love this new idea. It seems like a great way to test ideas sans-flames when threads get heated, assuming (as we probably can) that the truly great posters around here have the maturity not to take these debates personally.

Well, I'm off to find somebody i disagree with. Finals will be over after tuesday and I'll be looking for victims. I'm already starting to do the math on how many of these I would have to win to have the best debate record on ATS. (5-1 is respectable and all, but that 1 really burns my perfectionist side).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join